OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

Old May 6th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

I've never heard housewife pronounced as "hussif" - but
I have seen a sewing case (in this case a beautiful folded
and embroidered one) called a hussif (even written this
way).

We live and learn lol
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"recarlos" wrote in message
: You have to admit it is a great language.
: What other would pronounce 'Housewife' as 'hussif'? And
'ate' as 'et'
: Even if a Brummie accent makes it a bit crazier there is
still a difference
: between 'record' and 'record'.
: Ruth
: Sydney
: "CATS" wrote in message
: ...
: If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem,
you
: will be speaking English better than 90% of the native
: English speakers in the world.
:
:

Old May 6th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna Aten[_2_]

Where I grew up in Indiana - route didn't rhyme with root - it was
pronounced with an ow in the middle instead of oo.
--
Donna in Idaho

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message

Thanks Cheryl - I likes those, someone, somewhere has been very busy.

As I'm on the list : ) Can I add another one I didn't see there

route rhymes with root

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

CATS wrote:
If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you will be
speaking English better than 90% of the native English speakers in the
world. After trying the verses, a Frenchman said he'd prefer six months
of hard labour to reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.

Dearest creature in creation,

Study English pronunciation.

unimportant bits gently snipped!

Sally with ally, yea, ye,

Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.

Say aver, but ever, fever,

Old May 6th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

CATS wrote:
I've never heard housewife pronounced as "hussif" - but
I have seen a sewing case (in this case a beautiful folded
and embroidered one) called a hussif (even written this
way).

We live and learn lol

My trusty Oxford English Dictionary says:

housewife (pronounced house-wife)= married woman directing household
affairs,
and pronouned huzif = a case for needles and thread

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 6th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

A Housewife(hussif) is a sewing case. A housewife is just that.
Remembering that makes me feel old.(
Ruth, feeling decrepit,
Sydney

Old May 6th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dixie

Being French speaking as my first language, this will be like homework
for me. So I will ask my English speaking friend to test me for accuracy
in my pronounciation. Hope my spelling is ok. lol. Thanks Cheryl, you
made my day.
Dixie in NB.

When I give to you something I made with my hands I share my heart.

Old May 6th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

And where do you put your accent?
On the first or second syllable?
..
In message , Boca Jan
writes
Then there is the name Naomi which is said as it is is spelled. So many
people say Ni-omi. I don't like that. The a is said as an a, not an i.
~sigh~

Just rambling

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 6th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, and the sewing case 'Hussif' was directly derived from 'housewife'.
..
In message , CATS
writes

Old May 6th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marsha

On May 6, 11:23 am, "Donna Aten" wrote:
Where I grew up in Indiana - route didn't rhyme with root - it was
pronounced with an ow in the middle instead of oo.
--
Donna in Idaho

Donna, I am living in Bryan, Ohio, just a wee bit from the Ohio/
Indiana border. I moved here a few years ago from KC, MO where I was
born, raised and lived for 48 years. We pronounced creek with a long
e, here in wonderful Ohio it is pronounced crick rhyming with ick!!!
Not the same as a crick in your neck.

It is amazing (rhymes with grazing) how different life is here
compared to MO.

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Old May 6th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

As a tutor for [adult] literacy here, now you'all can understand the
looks of confusion I get from many of my students!

While English is my "first" language, I also dabble in three more, one
of those practically everyday at work!

Thanks for this, Cheryl, I will print it out!

Ginger in CA
English, Spanish, German, and American Sign Language
On May 5, 6:42 pm, "CATS" wrote:
If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you
will be speaking English better than 90% of the native
English speakers in the world. After trying the verses, a
Frenchman said he'd prefer six months of hard labour to
reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.

Dearest creature in creation,

Study English pronunciation.

I will teach you in my verse

Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.

I will keep you, Suzy, busy,

Make your head with heat grow dizzy.

Tear in eye, your dress will tear.

So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.

Just compare heart, beard, and heard,

Dies and diet, lord and word,

Sword and sward, retain and Britain.

(Mind the latter, how it's written.)

Now I surely will not plague you

With such words as plaque and ague.

But be careful how you speak:

Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;

Cloven, oven, how and low,

Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

Hear me say, devoid of trickery,

Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,

Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,

Exiles, similes, and reviles;

Scholar, vicar, and cigar,

Solar, mica, war and far;

One, anemone, Balmoral,

Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;

Gertrude, German, wind and mind,

Scene, Melpomene, mankind.

Billet does not rhyme with ballet,

Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.

Blood and flood are not like food,

Nor is mould like should and would.

Viscous, viscount, load and broad,

Toward, to forward, to reward.

And your pronunciation's OK

When you correctly say croquet,

Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,

Friend and fiend, alive and live.

Ivy, privy, famous; clamour

And enamour rhyme with hammer.

River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,

Doll and roll and some and home.

Stranger does not rhyme with anger,

Neither does devour with clangour.

Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,

Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,

Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,

And then singer, ginger, linger,

Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,

Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.

Query does not rhyme with very,

Nor does fury sound like bury.

Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.

Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.

Though the differences seem little,

We say actual but victual.

Refer does not rhyme with deafer.

Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.

Mint, pint, senate and sedate;

Dull, bull, and George ate late.

Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,

Science, conscience, scientific.

Liberty, library, heave and heaven,

Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.

We say hallowed, but allowed,

People, leopard, towed, but vowed.

Mark the differences, moreover,

Between mover, cover, clover;

Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,

Chalice, but police and lice;

Camel, constable, unstable,

Principle, disciple, label.

Petal, panel, and canal,

Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.

Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,

Senator, spectator, mayor.

Tour, but our and succour, four.

Gas, alas, and Arkansas.

Sea, idea, Korea, area,

Psalm, Maria, but malaria.

Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.

Doctrine, turpentine, marine.

Compare alien with Italian,

Dandelion and battalion.

Sally with ally, yea, ye,

Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.

Say aver, but ever, fever,

Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.

Heron, granary, canary.

Crevice and device and aerie.

Face, but preface, not efface.

Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.

Large, but target, gin, give, verging,

Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.

Ear, but earn and wear and tear

Do not rhyme with here but ere.

Seven is right, but so is even,

Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,

Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,

Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.

Pronunciation (think of Psyche!)

Is a paling stout and spikey?

Won't it make you lose your wits,

Writing groats and saying grits?

It's a dark abyss or tunnel:

Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,

Islington and Isle of Wight,

Housewife, verdict and indict.

Finally, which rhymes with enough,

Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?

Hiccough has the sound of cup.

My advice is to give up!!!

All this BEFORE you start to deal with accents!!

Forwarded with sympathy for all those on the ng who have
English as a second language!
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old May 6th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I agree. It shows the varied languages from which "English" takes its
words. BG Great listing of some of the words that give people fits,
not just ESL speakers/readers.
Many people who read a lot have problems with pronunciation of some
words. (DH is one. G )
Pati, in Phx

~KK in BC~ wrote:

Gee, I read it out loud and stumbled on three words....... but then, I LOVE
words. They intrigue me all to pieces and seeing them side by side with
different pronunciations is just such a treat to me.
Thanks for posting this one, I had not seen it before!

~KK in BC~ yeah...... I'm weird.