OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

Old May 6th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

Default OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

On May 6, 6:17 am, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Thanks Cheryl - I likes those, someone, somewhere has been very busy.

As I'm on the list : ) Can I add another one I didn't see there

route rhymes with root

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

No it doesn't! Route rhymes with out and root rhymes with flute!

Dannielle

Old May 6th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

in American yes but not in UK British which is what the whole list was in
:-)

route rhymes with root is correct but root also rhymes with flute

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Old May 6th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Jessamy wrote:
in American yes but not in UK British which is what the whole list was in
:-)

route rhymes with root is correct but root also rhymes with flute

and route rhymes with flute

and I must be right as I am on the list to see if you can pronounce my name!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 6th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Go on!
'Sally' is too easy g
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
and route rhymes with flute

and I must be right as I am on the list to see if you can pronounce my name!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 6th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

KK, I'm with you there, another weirdo. I love words and language too and
had fun with this!
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
Gee, I read it out loud and stumbled on three words....... but then, I
LOVE words. They intrigue me all to pieces and seeing them side by side
with different pronunciations is just such a treat to me.
Thanks for posting this one, I had not seen it before!

~KK in BC~ yeah...... I'm weird.

If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you
will be speaking English better than 90% of the native
English speakers in the world. After trying the verses, a
Frenchman said he'd prefer six months of hard labour to
reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.

Old May 6th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Patti wrote:
Go on!
'Sally' is too easy g
.
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
and route rhymes with flute

and I must be right as I am on the list to see if you can pronounce my
name!

but I was there - right next to ally!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 6th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marsha

What a way to start out my day!! Cheryl that was realy fun to read.
There are so many words like that in the English language it always
seems to be a joke when my sister and I talk Scrabble. (She lives too
far away for us to play the game)

I am going to print it off and send a copy to her, she will love it
too!

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Old May 6th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Good grief! (rhymes with leaf) It's a miracle (does not rhyme with debacle)
that any one ever learns to speak English!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"CATS" wrote in message
If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you
will be speaking English better than 90% of the native
English speakers in the world. After trying the verses, a
Frenchman said he'd prefer six months of hard labour to
reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.

Dearest creature in creation,

Study English pronunciation.

I will teach you in my verse

Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.

gently snipped

Finally, which rhymes with enough,

Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?

Hiccough has the sound of cup.

My advice is to give up!!!

All this BEFORE you start to deal with accents!!

Forwarded with sympathy for all those on the ng who have
English as a second language!
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old May 6th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Then there is the name Naomi which is said as it is is spelled. So many
people say Ni-omi. I don't like that. The a is said as an a, not an i.
~sigh~

Just rambling

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Patti wrote:
Go on!
'Sally' is too easy g
.

Old May 6th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

You have to admit it is a great language.
What other would pronounce 'Housewife' as 'hussif'? And 'ate' as 'et'
Even if a Brummie accent makes it a bit crazier there is still a difference
between 'record' and 'record'.
Ruth
Sydney