LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

If you haven't bothered to teach your children how to behave in
restaurants and stores, then don't take them until you have.

Yes, but, I have to take my untaught child into that situation in order
to teach her. So during the learning process, sometimes others need to
be a little more patient. With moms like me, it is often harder on us
to deal with our kids than it is for others. I am usually embarrassed
beyond belief while my daughter is learning something new and has a
total meltdown over the entire situation. I do my best to try to
protect those around us from the annoyance, and my DH and I have even
taken her out to the car for a time out thus delaying ordering our meal
much to the chagrin of our overworked server!

90% of the learning process is repeated exposure.

Dannielle

Old June 15th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Students - was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Don't even think about sending us your students. Polly

"Cats" wrote You might just be surprised in the mail one day!! ROFL

Old June 15th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly Esther wrote:
Don't even think about sending us your students. Polly

"Cats" wrote You might just be surprised in the mail one day!! ROFL

Polly, you are just too funny!!!

Larisa
Old June 15th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

frood wrote:

Just remember, any woman who gives you a dirty look when your kids act up
either didn't have any herself, or can't remember that kids have meltdowns.

I try very hard to be sympathetic. Some exploration is expected. Some
enthusiasm is fine. I can understand a temper-tantrum too. But I expect
mom to be paying attention to the child at that point. It's not going to
go on for very long with mom right there and doing something about it...
compared to the tantrum all the way across the store, or the child
grabbing *my* things.

Curiosity about what I am doing is fine, and I usually respond
positively. But that's different than grabbing my shopping selections or
what I am reaching for.

It's hard to say where the line is between what I will give a dirty look
for or actually dare to interfere (which is much further along).

Parenting is a very hard job to do. I do try to compliment good parents
and good kids.

-georg
Old June 15th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My mom had a comment. "that kid needs popped". Last time I
'popped' my son he was 6'2" and I had to reach up to do it.
Certainly no pain involved but the surprise value was effective.

We got spanked once in a rare while as kids but mostly just were
taught what proper behavior was.

I told a kid to quit kicking a box at Lowe's a couple of months
ago. (he was wailing on the thing) I thouht the dad was going to
slug ME. I just shook my head being grateful I don't have kids
in school anymore. How on earth do they get people to go into
teaching?
Taria

Dannielle wrote:

But what was the repercussions if you DID misbehave? Little ones that
are too small to be left in the car but are misbehaving and crying and
annoying everyone...what did your parents do with that child?

I always hear the stories of "Oh, we didn't dare!" but I never hear of
what the parents would do for punishment. My DD is 2, and although
most of the time she behaves fairly well, there are times where I just
want to shove a sock in her mouth! I do remove her from the store so
as not to annoy other shoppers, and I do try everything I can order to
assure a nice quiet shopping trip. When I go to the smaller LQS's, I
try to bring DH or go while DD is home with DH. I have had to take
her, and trust me, even though my stroller is one of those major huge
ones, I try to go when I know it is not going to be busy, and anyone
that gets near me I automatically tell them to just let me know if I am
in their way and I will move. Without the stroller, however, I am
afraid that DD would get frustrated and start wandering and causing
issues.

Dannielle

Old June 15th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This is true. However, I was writing under the assumption that Dannielle
will parent with the same level of intelligence and common sense she has
shown in her posts here.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old June 15th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I reckon the easiest way to train toddlers is to plan ahead and be ready
to drop everything and depart as *soon* as they act up. I know there are
times when it's not possible, but this method sure worked with my DD. I
only had to leave off shopping a few times when she realised her
behaviour had direct consequences!

The other thing is not to linger about, browsing, while a small child
gets bored. You need to keep up a running commentary with them about the
groceries you're buying. Ask what it tastes like. Ask whether it'd be
nice with ice cream or tomato sauce. Ask if it's something Dad would use
or Mum would prefer. Ask if the child could possibly reach for some
items (eg. toilet rolls, which don't generally break when dropped).
Although, beware of the store-built booby-trap in the pyramid at the end
of the aisle...

I always found it *much* easier to keep the kid in the shopping cart
seat thingie. Once DD was too big for that, I made her my little
apprentice shopper and purposely kept shopping expeditions to less than
an hour. Small kids can't last much longer than that without a chance to
let off steam!

When kids become tired and fractious, it really is time to cut the trip
short. If an adult companion told you 'I'm beat! I need to go home right
away!', you wouldn't stop to argue. It makes me *so* mad to see Mums
shrieking at overtired kids in supermarkets when, really, the kid has
done nothing wrong.

Of course, the other side of this coin is to give real praise and reward
for good behaviour. Most kids will bend over backwards to be praised and
told what a great helper they are. The effort you put in during the
toddler phase pays *huge* dividends later on! I promise!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 15th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

That pinging noise? No problem hearing that, and I'm older than you!
Roberta in D, wishing sometimes I could turn my ears off

"Sandy Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

On 6/14/06 2:22 PM, in article
, "desert quilter"
wrote:

Seems about half the complaints center around cell phones. And then
people wonder why various school districts have banned cell phones in
schools. Adults can't even control themselves with the pesky things.
How well do you think a teenager is going to do?

Michelle in NV

Old June 15th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

frood wrote:
This is true. However, I was writing under the assumption that Dannielle
will parent with the same level of intelligence and common sense she has
shown in her posts here.

Me too- and I don't think she'd let the kid run wild, and more than you
would.

It's common sense, but sadly it seems to be in short supply with those
that garner the most attention.

-georg
Old June 15th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Develop the Eyeball. Works pretty well on other people's unruly children
too -skills for life :-)
Roberta in D

"Dannielle" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
[...]

Butterflywings wrote:
My Mother would take ALL 8 of us shopping with her...our hands were IN
OUR
POCKETS or we sat in the car if we didn't(sometimes dad was there waiting
with us, sometimes we were on our own) until she was done. Period....end
of
discussion.

We learned at an EARLY AGE that yelling, running, touching was NOT
ALLOWED.
No way No how or we stayed home the next time and the ONLY THING we got
was
to partake in the groceries. How mom remembered which one(s) of us
stayed
home was beyond me as she went shopping every other weekend. Children
were
SEEN and NOT heard. ONE look from Mom or Dad was enuf to stop us right
then
and there. Greatest compliment we received was from shopkeepers/clerks
that
asked to wait on us---even called one fella, Uncle Milt--(shoe salesman)
Had
one store where the owner would give EACH of us a candy bar just before
we
left---you better believe we were beyond angels in his store and he sold
everything from tractors to groceries.

When we got older, we stayed home to do 'chores' (usually staying with
the
baby, too) and dad worked in the fields and would come in at lunchtime
and
'help' us make lunch--we did it--he made sure we didn't get hurt. (He
taught
me how to peel potatoes with a paring knife and to this day I can't use a
peeler on them : )

Children WILL learn if they are taught proper manners starting at an
early
age.

Butterfly (who is NOT afraid to tell the parents that their child(ren)
are
well mannered in front of that child(ren)

"Cats" wrote in message
My mother was not a quilter, but was a sewer. I can
remember being taken into innumerable fabric stores, and
knowing from a very early age that I was to wait quietly for
my mother to complete her shopping - no touching, no
running, no yelling. My younger sister and I always
accompanied her when she shopped. I don't think it hurt
either of us to learn the appropriate standard of behaviour
for public places at a very early age. And the shop keepers
were NEVER expected to provide entertainment or supervision
for us.

We loved going around with her, and while good behaviour was
expected we usually got an icecream or similar for being
good.

I sometimes have sewers come here with grandchildren in tow.
Once in a while this is unavoidable (family drama, etc) but
I politely discourage this as a regular thing because this
is not an area set up for children and I cannot be
responsible for their safety around sharp and pointy things.
The OH&S/liability issues for adults are bad enough.
Everything in life should not be geared around the possible
effects of an uncontrolled toddler/child.

Sorry if this makes me a grouch but I don't feel that shops
should have to provide a child entertainment area in order
to stay in business, and I don't enjoy having to fight the
HUGE strollers in use today in narrow aisles when I am
shopping. I have enough mobility issues of my own.

Off my soap box and off to have a morning cuppa with Oscar
the Grouch LOL

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
: joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
:
: *Bringing unruly children into the store and letting
them roam, crawl,
: yell, etc.
:
: If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
: unruly children into a store? I mean, does
: the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
: make them unruly? I do not mean to be
: facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
: but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
: DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
: kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
: Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
: touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.
:
: If we could not bring children in, then I'm
: relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
: DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
: not always the best place to be.
:
: Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
: basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
: making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
: isn't there any room so that children, while
: being children, would still be allowed to go
: into a little store without raising eyebrows?
:
: -- Anita --

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 07:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM