What is String Quilting??

Old April 19th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What is String Quilting??

I've been saving left-over bindings, and the trimmings of backings to use in
a string quilt. Anytime I have a long skinny piece, I put it aside. I've
seen some really cool string quilts that have the same or similar "string"
used in the same place in each block, and I like the cohesive look that
brings.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, Tricia!

I'm really glad you asked that question. I've been wondering about the
string quilting process too.

I really appreciate all the messages in this thread, and especially the
samples and websites with directions. I've copied them all and put
them into a special folder on my hard drive. This might be a summer
time project for me. I sure have been getting lots of scraps lately.

Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks, Nevada

Old April 19th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL I do something with strings that is a bit unique....
I make steering wheel covers. Take a piece of backing (I use muslin)
that is a little longer than the circumference of your car's steering
wheel, and about 5-6" wide. Add a piece of leftover batting the same
size. Then string piece the length of the whole thing, quilting as you
add the pieces. Trim up the edges, zig-zag or serge them. Sew the short
ends together to form a ring. Turn under the edges about a half inch,
insert a loop of elastic that is about 4" smaller than the fabric loop,
and include some ties. (Ties: roughly divide the ring into thirds, put a
tie on each side at the "bottom" 2 marks. These tie around the "spokes"
on your wheel to hold the cover in place.) I also sew the elastics into
rings before sewing them into the casings. You have plenty of room and
it isn't a real tight gather.

These are very handy around here especially in the summer when the
interior of the car can be very, very hot. G I imagine they would be
equally useful in colder climes in the winter.

enjoy,
Pati, in Phx

Don/Gen wrote:

when I make string quilts, I sew the "strings" to batting. That way, It's
already quilted.
Gen

"René" wrote in message

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
hlink.net...
(Snip....) Traditionally something like muslin was used as a background

or

"unifying" fabric, but I like using something brighter. G

Pati, in Phx

Pati, I'm thinking of doing a string quilt, but I don't understand what

you

mean. If you use a background fabric (muslin or otherwise) why would it
matter what color it was? Wouldn't it be all covered up with the fabric
strings? It wouldn't show through, would it?

I'm finding so many good ideas for string quilts that I'm having trouble
coming to a decision of what I want to do first. So many quilts......

Thanks!

René

Old April 19th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I decided, earlier this year, to make a few quilts entirely from my stash.
The first one that I made was string pieced using scraps that I'd been
accumulating for years. I didn't use a foundation at all. Too much bother
for the look I was after. I didn't really want an extra muslin layer and I
really hate removing paper. I used a red "string" diagonally across each
block, then used darks on one side and lights on the other, sort of log
cabin-ish. I just let the strings run wild along the edges, used a bit of
spray starch after piecing and squared them up to finish at 6 inches. I set
the blocks so that the diagonal red center strips met each other, forming a
recognizable pattern of red. I liked the order that provided in an
otherwise very scrappy quilt. It's still in my "to be quilted" pile, so I
don't have any pictures yet.
--
Donna973
There is no MAYBE in my reply address

Old April 19th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

These are kind of string quilts that were made by my grandchildren. No
foundation used on either.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53386571YKcmLD
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53386571RBDdwA

--
Mary

Old April 19th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

how clever of you, Pati.
a great little stocking stuff for xmas.
does martha stewart know about this?

jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Pati Cook" wrote...

"René" wrote in message
> [...]

thlink.net...

Old April 19th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Very nice, Mary!
The quilts and the grandson. g

As you did, I skip the foundation fabric/paper, too,
just sewing the string/strips together.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old April 20th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I put a picture of my string pieced quilt on webshots, in the Works in
Progress folder. The picture is a little darker than the quilt is. The
border is chunks of leftover red fabrics. I have a lot of red fabric! This
top hasn't been quilted yet.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/donna9736

Old April 20th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:
I think you got it, but I wouldn't call it
paper piecing. (Why piece paper??)

Just relating it to somethng I already do/know =P

T.

World On A String -- Movie About Beads David Friedberg Beads 1 November 3rd 04 06:28 AM
Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
Quilting Design Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 24th 03 09:36 AM