a new development in Scotland

Old April 2nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Children in Restaurants [was Environmental...]

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

LOL!!!

I know VERY WELL INDEED why 14 YO boys should NOT be allowed to sharpen
pencils under the desk with a pen-knife (4" gash in leg = trip to
hospital), why they should never be allowed near a screwdriver in an
English Lit lesson (poking them into live sockets should be a capital
offense: it almost was!), and why they should never be allowed to eat
lunch in a room with a video recorder (that almost resulted in death by
manual strangulation. Shame he ran too fast! The sandwich in the
wrapper took hours to dig out of the machine, and his parents disliked
the bill). I have filled in one or two interesting accident report
forms in my time. I'm just glad I didn't have to fill in the one about
the boy who fell through the school roof... PE department fielded that one.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 2nd 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

.... some take longer, LOL!! In my work with deviant parents of abused
children I saw something occur over and over - it was magical - at age 35,
parents with families who had been in our system since the birth of the
first child suddenly "got it" and cases would close. Don't know what it is
but something magical happens abou the age of 35. My youngest turns 35 this
November.

Good luck!

Old April 2nd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Horror stories nowdays of 5 year old school starters who don't know
what to do with a knife and fork - have always eaten fast-food, with
their fingers.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:17:12 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:--

Obviously nobody needs a mailed invitation to family dinner every evening,
and we mostly don't wear party clothes, and the food isn't always fancy, but
my children used the good china, set on a tablecloth, with candles, a
napkin, and cutlery/ glasses as required. And the rules were exactly as you
described every single night. Plus they were required to sit up straight,
participate in conversation, and help clear the table afterwards. They never
had any trouble with good manners in public. I lost a plate or 2 and an
occasional glass when they were very young, but considered it a cheap
tuition fee.

I love the idea of decorating hats to match the dress!
Roberta in D

"KI Graham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Of course there are different sets of manners for different occasions:
that's part of the fun. If you know the rules, you can play the social
"game." And no one likes [or likes to be] a bad sport! I had an afternoon
"tea party" for 8 six-eight year old girls and their moms a couple of
summers ago. Formal invitations mailed to each child AND to each mom;
linen table cloths and napkins, my very best china and crystal. Party
dresses mandatory [for moms too.] Each attendee received a broad-brimmed
straw hat trimmed with ribbons to match her dress that she decorated with
matching silk flowers. We had sandwiches without the crusts, and meringues
and fruit and lemon-ginger scones with homemade lemon curd AND we all had
our very very best manners.

At the very beginning, I told all the girls the rules: try everything on
your plate and don't make comments if you don't like something; when
fingers are okay, when to use your knife and fork; remember the please and
thank you and to call people by their names....and it was "Mrs. Graham"
[not Kim] and "Miss Natasha" [not just Tasha]. Two and a half hours on a
hot sunny day on my back deck. No one broke anything, no one complained,
no one cried, no one even raised her voice!

At the end of the afternoon, each of the girls got to take her china cup
and saucer home. It was wonderful! On Sunday [when we all wore our hats
to church!], almost all the DADS came up to say "Thank you. You made my
little girl feel very special."

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Roberta Zollner wrote:

I disagree that there are different sets of manners for home -start as
you mean to go on! One's family deserves polite and respectful behavior
just as much as strangers in a restaurant. And children who are polite
at home feel no stress when out in public.
Roberta in D

I didn't say that kids should be allowed to be rude or disrespectful
at home just that they don't have to be on their *best* behaviour. Even
we adults have different sets of rules and behaviours for different
social situations.
By teaching small children just exactly WHAT the different sets of
rules are, we encourage them to be critical thinkers and look at their
surroundings to determine just which set of behaviours are the most
appropriate. Even at school, kids are expected to behave differently in
the classroom, the playground and the cafeteria. There are certain rules
that DO apply in ALL situations (there is no excuse for rudeness &
disrespect) but I don't really believe that there is just one set of
general rules for ALL situations. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old April 2nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

see, I was never taught that lesson. must be a cultural thing, the
concept of 'inside voice' was totally foreign to me. it is funny though,
when we ask her to be quiet she speaks in a whisper for a few minutes.
of course after a while she forgets and gets loud again...

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Ah, that explains a lot!! Maybe it is time start working on the
'quiet voice' lessons now. There is ALWAYS a new lesson required to tame
these charming little ones, and keep them charming! One thing I've
noticed was that kids develop loud voices in day care situations. We had
that happen, and ours never spent more that about 2 hour shifts at the
most twice a week! Happens at kiddy party and other kiddy mob scenes,
too. We'd just remind them 'quiet voice, please!'
PAT, in VA/USA

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old April 2nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Of course we had place cards: I hear most of them still live on the little
girls' bedside tables: "Miss Natasha Jones" in fancy script with
flowers...we tied the hats to the back of their chairs, and tied a ribbon
and silk flowers to match as "napkin rings". They used the ribbon and
flowers to decorate their hats.

--

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Roberta Zollner wrote:

Obviously nobody needs a mailed invitation to family dinner every
evening, and we mostly don't wear party clothes, and the food isn't
always fancy, but my children used the good china, set on a tablecloth,
with candles, a napkin, and cutlery/ glasses as required. And the rules
were exactly as you described every single night. Plus they were required
to sit up straight, participate in conversation, and help clear the table
afterwards. They never had any trouble with good manners in public. I
lost a plate or 2 and an occasional glass when they were very young, but
considered it a cheap tuition fee.

My mum taught me that cheap china that breaks makes a better lesson than
plastic that bounces. We now use good china and glasses all the time,
even in the garden, and have very few breakages.

I love the idea of decorating hats to match the dress!
Roberta in D

Me too! And possibly place cards or mats as well...

Old April 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Dr. Foster Cline does some wonderful seminars on Child Psychology. ...
He's the one who also said, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, that
children are temporarily insane between the ages of 12 and 25 and should be
institutionalized because they are a danger to selves and others. LOL!! If
you ever get a chance to see him in a workshop or seminar - please go.

Sounds rather like what Mark Twain recommended but not as harsh. To
paraphrase, Ol' Samuel C. said that small children should be put into
barrels and fed through the hole. When they get to be teenagers, you
close up the hole :-)! Sounds like something he would say -- LOLOL!
CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old April 2nd 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When I was teaching "Life Skills" in a junior high inner city/barrio
school the kids all wanted to "cook". What they really wanted was to
make a mess in the kitchen. G So if the class behaved and earned the
privilege to do so it was a big production. Since this was a small k-8
school I could do this. "We" planned a lunch. Main dish, side dishes,
bread, desert and drinks. Had to be nutritious. Had to meet the basic
"color/texture" type standards that are basic to book meal planning. We
did as much as possible ahead of time and froze or refrigerated the
parts. Invitations to teachers went out. (we scheduled the lunch for
regular lunch time and I got permission for the kids to be late to their
next class in order to clean up, and to miss part of the class before to
prepare......) The students set the tables, including some sort of
decoration, and I had table cloths for the tables. They were to greet
their guests at the door, offer them something to drink, escort them to
a seat and had to make conversation during lunch. And not just about
school. G
Every time I did this, teachers made positive comments. And the students
learned some social "graces" that they did not learn or have exposure to
at home. And they discovered they could do some things that they hadn't
thought they could. And that teachers were human.
They also learned that cleaning up was a part of everything. Since we
had several prep days, everyone had a chance to wash dishes, dry dishes
and so on. One kid said that *he* didn't do dishes. (not to be racist,
but he was a "macho little Hispanic" and was proud of the fact. G ) I
said that it gave him a good chance to learn. He discovered he actually
liked washing dishes. go figure.
Some of the few good parts of that job were those luncheons.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, exactly. I had the same kind of school, a middle school where 98% of
the students were either black or Hispanic. The only white/Asian kids were
bussed from across town for the AG program so they could say they actually
HAD some white kids...but I digress.

Working in that kind of school is definitely a challenge. I was the art
teacher, and my kids were old enough to begin stretching their wings into
something more than just basic projects. Plus, to keep ME interested, I
wanted to do projects that _I_ was interested in. Those were the projects
the kids liked best. Sewing, makign snowflakes, crayon batik, linocuts. We
had a grant and an artist came and dyed fabric with the kids and we made
quilts. It was outstanding! The quilter had had breast cancer and chemo,
and her hair was about 1/3 of an inch long all over. One day she got too
hot (menopause on top of chemo!) and so as to not scare anybody, she called
the kids' attention and just told 'em, "I'm going to pull off this hot wig."
and she did, and out of two combined classes (30+ kids for this project),
only one of 'em said a word about it. O dang, I digressed again. Anyway, I
do understand what you meant about having big projects like that, where the
kids feel they can take some ownership, be the most fun of all. They
definitely are.

"Pati Cook" wrote

Old April 3rd 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We did that back in the 50's and early 60's but there was no boys in Home
Economics. They took shop. Very gender specific back in the day.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
link.net...

Roberta Zollner wrote:

Obviously nobody needs a mailed invitation to family dinner every
evening, and we mostly don't wear party clothes, and the food isn't
always fancy, but my children used the good china, set on a tablecloth,
with candles, a napkin, and cutlery/ glasses as required. And the rules
were exactly as you described every single night. Plus they were required
to sit up straight, participate in conversation, and help clear the table
afterwards. They never had any trouble with good manners in public. I
lost a plate or 2 and an occasional glass when they were very young, but
considered it a cheap tuition fee.

I love the idea of decorating hats to match the dress!
Roberta in D

UK (Scotland, specifically) Gem/Jewellry Trade Shows CeM Jewelry 2 May 19th 05 04:24 AM
OT - Back home in Dundee, Scotland Johanna Gibson Quilting 60 September 25th 04 06:49 PM
Quilting in Scotland ejaycee Quilting 9 May 11th 04 02:37 AM
Looking for Jo in Scotland Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 3 October 21st 03 02:06 AM
Shops in Glasgow Scotland? Jacco Burger Needlework 2 August 29th 03 03:24 PM