a new development in Scotland

Old March 27th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default a new development in Scotland

The ban on smoking in public places in Scotland came into force today.
I was playing at an afternoon folk session, the difference was amazing
(mainly, people talk much more quietly when they're not smoking, so we
could hear what we were doing a lot better - more details in a post I
made to uk.music.folk and rec.travel.europe).

Marion has occasionally tried handquilting in Bell's while I'm playing.
The problem is that it was so smoky the quilt ended up smelling like an
ashtray, particularly since the player I described as the Fire Goddess
joined us.

Now, no smoke. Scottish pubs have become quilting-friendly.

Old March 27th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well, darn. We just missed it by a few months. That law would have
certainly made our trip (albeit very nice) even more memorable.
Congrats to the forward thinking Scots. Lift a glass to better smelling
quilts! Cheers!
KJ

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
The ban on smoking in public places in Scotland came into force today.
I was playing at an afternoon folk session, the difference was amazing
(mainly, people talk much more quietly when they're not smoking, so we
could hear what we were doing a lot better - more details in a post I
made to uk.music.folk and rec.travel.europe).

Marion has occasionally tried handquilting in Bell's while I'm playing.
The problem is that it was so smoky the quilt ended up smelling like an
ashtray, particularly since the player I described as the Fire Goddess
joined us.

Now, no smoke. Scottish pubs have become quilting-friendly.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old March 27th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Aha - but Kiwiland passed that law last year.....good on the Scots for doing
the same...
but I can't see how quilts would smell any better with the aroma of beer
wafting thru them
Quilts in pubs??? Not down here I don't think...but then again, maybe in a
quiet corner....
cheers
Sylvi
sylviald at ihug dot co dot nz

Old March 27th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sylvi,
you could start a whole new trend.
get all your quilting guild down there with you working on a quilt, lol.
maybe the publican would let you set up a frame and you could work on one
quilt together.
now that would be a marvelous sight to behold while having a bit of the
golden brew.
yup, i'd come down to see that too.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Sylvi" wrote...

Old March 27th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

But Jack, I certainly hope you've been doing some serious rehearsing. Our
DD who is a professional musician says it's much more difficult to play to a
silent audience than one who's bashing beer bottles on each other's heads,
feeding slot machines or attempting some sort of impossible dance/aerobics
to music. Polly

Old March 27th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Man I really wish the USA would get with the program on smoking - I hate it.
Slowly but surely most good restaurants around here are going to either
totally nonsmoking, or smoking ONLY in the bar, but it will take (literally)
an act of Congress (or possibly an act of the gods...) to get freedom from
smoke in all public places. I keep hearing from restaurant folk all this
whining about "O the smokers won't go out to eat and we'll lose business."
That's just crap. In exactly NONE of the restaurants I've been to has this
happened. Usually, in restaurants where there IS still smoking, there is a
wait for the non-smoking section. Restauranteurs are getting the clue -
last week, I saw a sign at a die-hard, "family style" restaurant that said
WE WILL BE ALL NONSMOKING ON SUNDAYS. Hopefully it won't be long til every
day is Sunday there.....

Old March 27th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And could we get with the program on non-cell phones? In the library
yesterday, there was a very annoying kid with his cell phone loudly talking
sweet-nothings with someone while he read the titles of whichever section he
was in with silly comments, we're subjected to business calls on hawg
futures in a nice restaurant, or the plumber's laments on late deliveries
and in the dr's office, we were forced to hear a very intimate description
of the patient's pre-op instructions, something about 'don't' when the suds
subside. Good grief. Wonder what ever happened to polite? Polly

hlink.net...

Old March 27th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A city just to the south of us here banned smoking like that, went into
effect last week. the smokers are really up in arms, protesting.

I am the first one to say each person has rights, but I will say I have
a right to breath and breathing, above someone else's smoking.

Ginger
verrrry allergic to cigarette smoke

Old March 27th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh, Polly, the most embarrassing thing yesterday - I went to the
funeral for my friend's daughter. She passed after a long battle with
brain cancer.

Two people didn't set their cell phones to silent. You guessed it -
they went off during the funeral Mass.

Ginger in CA

Old March 27th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Mobile phones was - a new development in Scotland

Now that is not only rude, it's just plain outrageous!

The last time I chaired a business meeting and a mobile
phone went off I invited the recipient of the call to put it
on the speaker phone for the whole room to hear rather than
make us all listen to only one side of the conversation, . .
.. . . or else leave.

He got miffed and left - to the applause of three of the
other people in the room.

He was not missed!!

I teach groups of friends about quilting in my home, but IF
they bring their phones to an organised class, and IF the
phones ring during a class involving other people, I quietly
and politely ask them to leave the room to take the call or
message, and go on with the class.

I HATE MOBILE PHONES!! The number of people in the world
who are truly that important and indespensible to the
welfare of humanity is simply not that high. I'm sorry -
but I see 95% of mobile phones as just another load of ego
enhancers.

And that goes double for people who continually text
messages, even as they speak to you. Neither of the people
being communicated with is getting the appropriate degree of
attention, and it is rude to both.

Here it is illegal to use a handheld mobile while driving -
but that seems to have made little or no difference to most
drivers. How they can expect to drive safely while texting
is beyond me!

Now climbing quietly down of my soap box. Hope I have not
pierced any eardrums with my rant.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

ups.com...
:
: Two people didn't set their cell phones to silent. You
guessed it -
: they went off during the funeral Mass.
:
: Ginger in CA
:

UK (Scotland, specifically) Gem/Jewellry Trade Shows CeM Jewelry 2 May 19th 05 04:24 AM
OT - Back home in Dundee, Scotland Johanna Gibson Quilting 60 September 25th 04 06:49 PM
Quilting in Scotland ejaycee Quilting 9 May 11th 04 02:37 AM
Looking for Jo in Scotland Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 3 October 21st 03 02:06 AM
Shops in Glasgow Scotland? Jacco Burger Needlework 2 August 29th 03 03:24 PM