Placement of sewing machine

Old January 6th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Placement of sewing machine

The classic response to this for a desk and typing is that your forearm
should be at a right angle (90 degrees) to your upper arm. That's easy
to do when you can sink your machine into the table. Not sure otherwise.

If the machine/desk/keyboard is too high, I get backaches around the
bottom of my shoulderblades.

WRT the needle/edge relationship, I was just thinking that the angle of
vision would be not so good if the chair were too low.

I've used swivel office-type chairs. The good news is that they can
always be swiveled to the right height. The bad news is that they tend
to swivel back down again as you use them...so all of a sudden I'll
realize that I'm feeling a little like Alice in Wonderland and need to
swivel the thing back up again.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

lisa skeen wrote:
Well, there again, what is "high enough"? I can't figure out exactly
where the machine should be in relation to ME! ;0)

"hfw" wrote in message

I've got a Viking and the Viking version of a Horn cabinet. The needle is
9" from the front. I really like having that space in front. For one
thing, I can use the Angler2 with it, which helps my piecing accuracy. I
think it's very important to have the chair at the right height (high
enough) and maybe even more important when there's more distance between
the edge and the needle.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Jane MacDonald wrote:

Glacier My husband is making me a sewing table, just a piece of
countertop with a hole cut out, in which to set the sewing machine. The
problem I have with my present cabinet is that I can't sit directly in
front of the needle, but have to "lean to the left" to sew. I also find
that the needle is too far away, 10.5 inches from the edge of the table.
With this new table I will be able to sit directly in front of the
machine, but I don't know how far from the edge it should be.
Tables such as the ones made by Horn appear to have the machine
closer to the edge. Can anyone tell me what works best for you? I was
thinking 4-6 inches from the edge of the table to the needle.
Opinions?

TIA,
Jane

Old January 6th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

Like you Polly I like to get up close! I have a fairly "roomy" desk and the
machine sits on top to the side. When I need to use Jammin' Janome I whip
her top off and pull her close (talkin' dirty all the while, tellin' her how
I'll oil her up and clean her out.... but that's another story!), usually
about 6-8" away from the desk's edge. Close.

quicker)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
So that we're all singing from the same page, the measurement I took was
from the needle to the front edge of the table. My sweet old Singer is
mounted in a 'real' cabinet and it is permanently set at 10 and 1/4". The
Berninas (I can move them) are only 6 1/4" from the edge. I like to get

up
close and personal with the SM. Not so close that I get banged in the eye
with the uptake lever - but pretty close. 'Somehow' you probably will

have
to decide what's best for your own eyesight and comfort. I don't know how
much countertop you can have to the sides of the SM but do try to have at
least 12" to the right and as much as you can get to the left; 12' would

be
really cool. Polly

"Jane asked My husband is making me a sewing table, just a piece of

Old January 6th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

You got me up to measure and in the process I discovered that someone
has swiped my yardstick! Wait until my DDH and DS#1 wake up.
Somebody better fess up and return it! Anyway, my sewing table is
28-3/4 inches high, chair seat is 22 inches high and needle is 9-1/2
inches from the table edge. (I'm 5'4" but short waisted, so I need
things where I sit to be fairly low.) I like to have room in front of
my sm for a small scissors, seam rippers and magnetic pin cushion as
well as what I'm working on. I have a 6 ft. table with a hole cut in
it.... until I can get what I really want. That will be 2 ready made
bathroom cabinets (shorter than kitchen cabinets) with the "toe kick"
area cut off them to have the correct height for me. I want a 15 in.
four drawer cab to the right (widest drawer unit in bathroom cabs in
this cheap-y line) and a 30 inch sink cabinet to the left. The dummy
front on the cabinet where the sink would go can be unscrewed and I'll
build a shelf behind it and add hinges to access the shelf- that will
be to store square rulers and graph paper and stuff like that. Then
I'm going to order a 6 ft. bar-type countertop (3 ft. deep) with a hole
cut out for the sm. This way the cabinets and top will match the
island cabinet and top I have for my cutting/planning table. I'm
thinking I can do it for about $250- much, much cheaper than any
cabinet I've seen so far!

Leslie (dreaming, again) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 6th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

Jane MacDonald wrote:
Glacier My husband is making me a sewing table, just a piece of
countertop with a hole cut out, in which to set the sewing machine. The
problem I have with my present cabinet is that I can't sit directly in front
of the needle, but have to "lean to the left" to sew. I also find that the
needle is too far away, 10.5 inches from the edge of the table. With this
new table I will be able to sit directly in front of the machine, but I
don't know how far from the edge it should be.
Tables such as the ones made by Horn appear to have the machine closer
to the edge. Can anyone tell me what works best for you? I was thinking 4-6
inches from the edge of the table to the needle.
Opinions?

TIA,
Jane

I like mine further from the edge for flatbed sewing, especially of
larger items like wedding dress skirts and coat pieces, as it helps to
support the garment, and a little closer for free-arm stuff. I'd love
to have a cut-out so my machine bed was at table height, but it isn't
possible with the present set-up. I *do* have the machine set so I am
in front of the needle. It's not a big issue for me (good job really,
when I use the treadle!), but it is handy and makes for more accurate
seaming.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 6th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

~KK in BC~ wrote:

I thought I was the only one on earth that ever got their eyeball THAT close
to the machine?
Not that I know what that's all about... no no... that was a typo on my part
!!! That's what it was! A typo caused by an old war wound back when I had to
make quilts to keep the rocks soft! yeah............. never ever have I been
bonked in the face/eye/head with that darn thing...... nope nope....

Hehehehehe... No, me neither, not never, nohow!

Hm... Why is there a new chip in my left spectacle frame? And where
did this bruised eyebrow come from?

Old January 6th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

Default Body Obstacles

lisa skeen wrote:

ROFL.

Being a 32F is noticeable in these circumstances! I quite often bump my
chest when digging lint out of the machines... Especially the treadle,
which is fixed to its table! And I had to stop sewing towards the end
of my pregnancy because the bump got in the way! I felt like I was
MILES from the needle and sewing by remote control! And you lot
wondered why I only have one kid... ;P

Old January 6th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

I have a Horn table and can't go and measure right now (my folks are
visiting from England and are in our room, which is where my sewing room is
off) but the machine is about 20-25 cm (8-10 inches) from the edge. I can
sit as close or as far away as I like, body bits allowing! I agree that you
can never have too much room on the left of the machine.

Old January 6th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

Tia Mary wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:
.... And you lot

wondered why I only have one kid... ;P

I only have on kid because early on I found out what was causing it
and learned how to run the program without getting a hard copy :-)
CiaoMeow ^;;^

Hehehe... I found out that the software had a bug in it and needed a
patch... But the patch is unstable, and only worked once!

But one perfect one is good enough for me.

Old January 6th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing

lisa skeen wrote:

er....32F? Is that some kind of a British bra measurement? Or a 32 year
old female?

Bra sizes are the same here as in the USA. 32 band size, F cup size.
There's more front than back here! And I'm 49, not 32 years old!

Bra cup sizes got up to J if you look in the right places. My problem
is that the bra-makers expect someone with my measurements to be a 19 YO
with plastic enhancements, rather than a 49 YO au naturelle! As a
professional dressmaker, I pay a LOT of attention to bras and whether or
not they fit properly. Did you know that more than 75% of women wear
the WRONG size? And the most common error they make is buying too big a
band size with too small a cup size.

Bras are like shoes: the 'right' size in one make may fit you better
than the right size in another. A good fitter will be able to fit you
into not just the right size, but also the right style and make for your
shape. I find the best fit for me at present are Fantasy and Marks &
Spencers (and a lot of their bras are made for them by Charnos) in a
32F. The best style is a half cup with underwires and no padding.

FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 02:30 AM
RCTQ FAQ Nov 2005 frood Quilting 3 November 6th 05 10:22 PM
FAQs for Newbies and Longtimers Diana Curtis Quilting 21 December 8th 03 01:52 PM
RCTN Reminder: NY gathering at Stitchery Row Nov. 1 georg Needlework 23 November 4th 03 11:32 AM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM