Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Old October 28th 05, 08:44 PM
Ellison

Default Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Howdy!
In this case, Karen is an attorney. ;-)
Remember her as Karen Johnson? Regular poster to RCTQ
in the past; we made a hug for her/her husband a few years ago
when he was so ill; she took some time out to recover and
rearrange her life.
Karen, newlywed that she is, is hanging out on the Baseball Swap
with us (fabulous 2005 block she printed for all the swappers!).
Seems that w/ most of the copyright issues, the person who is
intending to cheat knows it, does it anyway, and then whines about
not knowing &/or gets very defensive. No sympathy here.
As others have said, when in doubt, just ask the original designer.
And in all things, give credit where due.

Meanwhile, the only stealing going on around here is from the
Stash Grabbers and the Chocolate Fiends! ;-D

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy--enjoying the heck out of autumn in n.Tx.

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
loL!! Way to go GF!! "I'm an attorney" is one of the biggest cons
around. Just saying it - don't make it so. Also most state laws are on
the web for anyone to read.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't depend on my husband (the graphic artist and photographer), my
friends or my internet acquaintances for legal advice. I have my own
lawyer, my husband has his own copyright lawyer and we pay our bill.

Thanks for the advice though,
Tina

Old October 29th 05, 06:31 AM
Elizabeth Young

Default Danny Kaye Court Jester (Was: Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Debi Matlack wrote:
'The vessel with the pestle holds the potion that is poison, the flagon with
the dragon holds the brew that is true....'
Love, LOVE that movie...

"Get it? Got it? Good!"

liz young in drizzly california
Old October 31st 05, 04:48 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:08:05 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

I've been rather bothered over the last few days by the posts indirectly
addressing copyright issues here. This is a subject that's been hashed over
many times before, and not a lot that's new is ever added to this debate.
Still, I feel I need to vent.

I've seen several posts advocating the position that it's okay to use
copyrighted images or patterns without permission because the designer
"should" share with everyone. What I don't get is why permission isn't
asked. It's really not that hard to write a simple email. I've asked for
permission numerous times, and only been turned down once. (That one time
was funny in retrospect, because the design was not particularly original.)
Most designers I've talked to are incredibly generous and very flattered
that someone would ask. That's the important part: asking.

If my neighbor wanted to use my lawn mower, I'd let her borrow it in a
heartbeat. But I'd be mighty ticked if I found she had gone into my garage
and used it without asking first, as would most of you. Our very own Dr.
Quilter is upset because someone went into her house without asking, and
rightly so. Many of you know that I'm always happy to spend time answering
questions about quilting and longarming. I'm glad to share what I've spent
many hours learning because I'm grateful that others were willing to share
with me. But I've also had aspiring longarmers call up, posing as potential
customers, and try to take my knowledge on the sly. Believe me, that's a
VERY unpleasant feeling, especially when I would have been willing to help
them out if they'd been honest.

Yes, there are times when it's not easy to ask for permission. But there's a
real human being on the other side of the equation, who has real feelings,
and could feel hurt if someone takes something without permission just
because it's inconvenient to ask. Doing the right thing isn't always
convenient, but it's still important.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now. You can safely read the newsgroup again.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/co...3/stitch.reut/

Interesting article.

-- Jo in Scotland