Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

Old October 24th 05, 05:08 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default Copyright and stealing (ON topic)

I've been rather bothered over the last few days by the posts indirectly
addressing copyright issues here. This is a subject that's been hashed over
many times before, and not a lot that's new is ever added to this debate.
Still, I feel I need to vent.

I've seen several posts advocating the position that it's okay to use
copyrighted images or patterns without permission because the designer
"should" share with everyone. What I don't get is why permission isn't
asked. It's really not that hard to write a simple email. I've asked for
permission numerous times, and only been turned down once. (That one time
was funny in retrospect, because the design was not particularly original.)
Most designers I've talked to are incredibly generous and very flattered
that someone would ask. That's the important part: asking.

If my neighbor wanted to use my lawn mower, I'd let her borrow it in a
heartbeat. But I'd be mighty ticked if I found she had gone into my garage
and used it without asking first, as would most of you. Our very own Dr.
Quilter is upset because someone went into her house without asking, and
rightly so. Many of you know that I'm always happy to spend time answering
questions about quilting and longarming. I'm glad to share what I've spent
many hours learning because I'm grateful that others were willing to share
with me. But I've also had aspiring longarmers call up, posing as potential
customers, and try to take my knowledge on the sly. Believe me, that's a
VERY unpleasant feeling, especially when I would have been willing to help
them out if they'd been honest.

Yes, there are times when it's not easy to ask for permission. But there's a
real human being on the other side of the equation, who has real feelings,
and could feel hurt if someone takes something without permission just
because it's inconvenient to ask. Doing the right thing isn't always
convenient, but it's still important.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now. You can safely read the newsgroup again.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 24th 05, 06:05 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default Threads (was Copyright and stealing (ON topic))

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
I realized it was this list and a
considerable amount of it was from Kathy just sharing her latest thread
finds. So, I am REALLY glad you are here!!! :-)) And THANK YOU!!!!!

*blush*

Glad to have been of help!

Old October 24th 05, 06:22 PM
C & S

WooHoo! What a great PR agent ;o). I'm sold. I must have missed the
thread on thread (is there a pun somewhere in there?). I've experimented a
tad with various natural fiber threads, but I find my Bernina likes Mettler
so much, it's hard for me to spend time and money experimenting. Of course,
with Kathy's wisdom and enlightenment I might be temped to venture.

Have a great day everyone!
--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
I agree.... there's just something about being treated with respect and
integrity that changes the way you feel about an interaction.

And I have I told you thank you this week??? Kathy is INCREDIBLY
generous with her time when approached privately. And when I started
researching and realizing how much I already knew about threads etc and
started asking myself why and how... I realized it was this list and a
considerable amount of it was from Kathy just sharing her latest thread
finds. So, I am REALLY glad you are here!!! :-)) And THANK YOU!!!!!

Jan

Old October 24th 05, 06:52 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . 201,
Jan wrote:

And I have I told you thank you this week??? Kathy is INCREDIBLY
generous with her time when approached privately. And when I started
researching and realizing how much I already knew about threads etc and
started asking myself why and how... I realized it was this list and a
considerable amount of it was from Kathy just sharing her latest thread
finds. So, I am REALLY glad you are here!!! :-)) And THANK YOU!!!!!

Jan

I have to echo what Jan has said. Kathy really is incredibly generous
with her knowledge. Some time ago, I asked about some thread colors, and
she went to the trouble of sending me the information I needed -- and
that's not mentioning the information she's also shared with me about
Mac/Palm stuff. Thanks, Kathy!

And, BTW, you do incredible quilting, Kathy!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 24th 05, 07:08 PM
D Curtis

Asking an artist for permission is fun, it gives you a chance to be
fawning without demeaning yourself.
ok, all jokes aside. Most of the posts that could be construed as giving
permission to ignore copyright laws seemed (to me) more like an attempt
to assure Tina that what she did was forgivable, because what she did,
she did with no evil intent and she immediately reposted the pics in an
approved manner. Yes, some did seem to suggest that posting copyrighted
material as she did was ok, because it was a tribute to the artist, and
that *isnt* right, its more respectful, as you said, Kathy, to ask
first. Ok... so.. knowing Tina as we do (huge heart and full of
unrestrained enthusiasm and smart) we can safely assume that this is
something she wont do again (and probably deeply regrets having done in
the first place considering all the brou haha resulting) so... perhaps
its time to move on to more important issues such as who is supplying
the choccies (and good n plenty) for the next meeting??
Diana

Old October 24th 05, 07:22 PM
Patti

And trying to help me (and others) with quilting design inspiration.
Thanks Kathy.
..
In message ,
Sandy Foster writes
I have to echo what Jan has said. Kathy really is incredibly generous
with her knowledge. Some time ago, I asked about some thread colors, and
she went to the trouble of sending me the information I needed -- and
that's not mentioning the information she's also shared with me about
Mac/Palm stuff. Thanks, Kathy!

And, BTW, you do incredible quilting, Kathy!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 24th 05, 07:33 PM
Taria

While we are 'tooting' Kathy's horn don't forget she helps
with paint type questions too. She just knows a lot of
helpful stuff.
Taria

Old October 24th 05, 07:42 PM
Tina

I will toot Kathy's horn too, not because I have been able to take
advantage of her wealth of knowledge as yet, but just because she is
always nice on this group, always understanding and always willing to
discuss.

The pictures are not posted to any website currently, and at this
point, don't know that they ever will be. BUT, for my own personal
journal record, I have recorded the names of the quilts and the names
of the quilters who created them and am putting them together in an
album.

Thanks Kathy!
Tina

Old October 24th 05, 07:55 PM
Tina

Thank you Diana - but allow me to also clarify, I never meant for any
of the pictures to go without credit in the first place. I fully
intended to post the names of the quilters and the names of their
quilts. If you noticed, if anyone noticed, on the first night, the
pictures were only posted with the numbers they are assigned by the
digital camera. I was exhausted and excited and had not even titled
the phots when they were posted.

Since the brou ha ha, I made the album private, deleted the album and
even went back to work the next day and clarified, what I could and
could not "legally" photograph, what I could and could not "legally"
post to my own personal website (not a Webshots site where they can be
purchased/downloaded or put on mugs, t-shirts, cards, etc.) and since
then, I have not posted them anywhere publicly and am not sure that I
ever will make them public.

I have also, since this brou ha ha started, talked to artists
personally and asked their permission to photograph/post on a private
website, their quilts. And yes, it is a LOT of fun, it is very
reassuring and encouraging to talk with the artists themselves.

I personally don't think it is "ok" to post copyrighted material on a
public website. That's why the first day I worked IQF, I ASKED what I
could and could not photograph. My husband is a professional
photographer, and he is ANAL about copyright laws. He would personally
wring my neck if I violated any copyright laws, especially if I did it
on one of our computers or even worse, on HIS website!

I may be new, naive, enthusiastic and excited, but NO, I am not stupid
and I am not a thief and I would hate it if some wonderful quilter
thought I just stole his/her design or didn't give him/her credit for
all the wonderful work they did.

I guess that's really part of what started this all. I stated right
off the bat that I was tired and had not cleaned up the photos or done
anything with them (put credits) when I posted them. Ok, my mistake, I
should have waited to post them until I had taken the time to do that
and I am sorry. But I never would have intentionally violated a
copyright law. I would have never intentionally insulted an artist or
stolen their work or not given them credit.

geez, I already feel like I've been given my 50 lashes
DH says if someone really wants to make something of it, give them the
phone number for his copyright lawyer,
I say, screw it, I made a mistake, I apologized, I fixed it, I'm sorry,
I won't do it again, let it go

Tina

Old October 24th 05, 08:14 PM
Marcella Peek

In article pO97f.10493$hP6.8539@trnddc05,
Taria wrote:

While we are 'tooting' Kathy's horn don't forget she helps
with paint type questions too. She just knows a lot of
helpful stuff.
Taria

Like where the good Vietnamese restaurants are, and where the quilt
shops near the restaurant are and how to get to that great chocolate
factory and....

Oh, and quilting things too.

marcella