OT/CP AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Old March 30th 05, 10:12 PM
Kate Dicey

CNYstitcher wrote:

okay, so far the house has been shown to 4 potential buyers.
yeehah...not! The first people wanted a split, not a raised ranch,
okay, no problem. We have only gotten feedback from 2 of the 3 people
from yesterday...one said the size wasn't what they were looking for,
the other said that there was entirely too much work to be done for the
price we are asking, both said they smelled cats in the house.

Well....duh! we are currently living in the house, we have 2 children
and 3 cats. It has been closed up for the winter, and is just now
getting warm enough to open the windows, so it's going to be a little
musty. However, the entire house has been cleaned, even the carpets and
wood work. I am currently trying to get the baseboard trim and doors
painted, but with regular life activities, it is taking a little bit of
time to get everything done.

I am already ticked off beyond explanation. The main reason we wanted
to move was that we knew we were going to be outgrowing this house in
the near future, but putting an addition on would alleviate that a bit.
Also, we have serious issues with the people across the
street...swearing at and beating their children, and we can hear
everything!! Well....the moving van was at their house yesterday and
they are finishing packing out today and probably tomorrow as well.

So....what do I do now???

Larisa

Spray Febreeze about, especially on the carpets, and give it a few more
days...

Oh, and cold or not, open those windows! The house will warm up again,
and a good breeze through can sell a place, even with decorating issues...

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old March 30th 05, 11:08 PM
Juno

[...]

USe the feed back you've had up to now in a positive way. Open your windows
everyday, no matter the weather. 15 minutes a day does wonders. Move the
littler box to an area where it won't live an odor. Change the litter every
day, twice a day if necessary. Rethink the neighborhood and the fact that
the aggrivation is gone. Consider enlarging what you have and staying. Have
faith in the agent. The house has just gone on the market.
Juno

Old March 30th 05, 11:21 PM
Pogonip

CNYstitcher wrote:
[...]

If you have an electric stove, sprinkle a little powdered cinnamon on
the burner and turn it on low. It's cheaper, easier and faster than
baking cookies, which also makes a house smell good. If you have a
bread machine, time a loaf to finish up about the time viewers are
expected. The cinnamon is easier, though.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/
Old March 30th 05, 11:49 PM
Ron Anderson

Fear not, someone will like it even with the cat aromas. People close to me
just did a similar move, and when I went to help with the move I could not
believe anyone would stick around long enough to look no less purchase. They
have HUUUUUGE dogs and yikes. It can be done.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
. ..

Old March 31st 05, 12:40 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article t, Jan of
Your Company uttered
we are currently living in the house, we have 2 children
and 3 cats. It has been closed up for the winter, and is just now
getting warm enough to open the windows,

Suggest you open the windows regardless (you don't live at the North
Pole do you?) and put the cats and the litter tray outside. Cats are
covered in fur, and can run about to get warm. With luck they will cr@p
in the nasty neighbours' flower beds.

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old March 31st 05, 01:01 AM
ljtaylor33

Here are some hints from a retired contractor who has bought and sold
12 houses in a lifetime of work and buy low/sell high rehabs.
If at all possible do not show the house if you are still painting it.
Finish fixing it up before anybody shows up. The cinamon/cookies/ bread
baking thing works wonders. Air fresheners, if unobtrusive, work
wonders. Clean up the cat litter smells and any mess that is around.
You may not be troubled by it, but others may be and it is a turn off.
Make sure that all the door handles are tight and firm to use. That is
the first thing that a prospective buyer comes into contact with. If
the door handles are loose, the whole house is suspect in some peoples
mind. Imagine what the house would look like to you if you walked in
and saw it for the first time. That is just what a buyer is doing.
Price it right. Not what you need to get out of it, but what the
traffic will bear. Have three realtors come over and give you an honest
appraisal and comparables, for similar houses that are selling in your
area. Then go over and look at those houses and see if yours measures
up. You don't have to go inside if you don't want to. Just drive by and
look. Be realistic as to what you can expect to get for the house. The
fact that you have put love and attention into decorating the house may
not mean as much to somebody else as yourself. Don't price it at the
highest amount that is comparable to others of like type in your area.
Any house will sell if priced right. Ask how long the average listing
is taking to sell for houses like yours from your realtor. This should
give you a good idea as to if the price you are asking is to high if
that time rolls around and you don't have any takers. Buying and
selling a house is one of the most emotional things most people can do
in their lifetime.
An interesting story from my career. I did a kitchen remodel for a
customer that came to $45,000. Custom hardwood cabinets, Wolf stove,
all new flooring, ect., windows everything to choice and in the best of
taste. A year later the family was transfered and sold the house. The
people who bought it were from out of town and asked the realtor to
recommend a craftsman to redo the kitchen as it did not meet their
tastes. The long and short of it, they called, I got the remodel job
and $30,000, later they had a kitchen that was to their liking. The
only thing that wasn't changed was the stove and windows. there was
nothing wrong with the original kitchen. It just didn't suit their
style. Go figure. I never said a thing about the job that I did before
that I replaced. Just smiled all the way to the bank. This proves that
you can do everything right and it won't please everyone.

John Taylor

Old March 31st 05, 01:19 AM
Sally Swindells

Selling houses is always traumatic! Having viewed a lot of houses in
various conditions, we went home and walked round ours as though we
were viewers. Came in through the front door, and really focussed on
it as though we had never seen it before. Surprising what a difference
it made to our sale - we were able to put right the little things we
had stopped noticing, and generally de-clutter like the House Doctor
says.

Animal odours are a problem - and I agree with trying to remove the
litter tray away from the main living area - we have a covered one
which is much less smelly than the open ones as it has a door and a
carbon filter. - Hodge caught on to the idea of the swing door
straight away. (was a little puzzled about how to get out and first,
but soon got the knack!)

One house we looked at absolutely stank of dogs and we couldn't get
out quick enough - we learned a lesson from that!

--
Sally in Suffolk UK

Old March 31st 05, 01:23 AM
BEI Design

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
. ..

So....what do I do now???

Don't panic! ;-)

You have advice from others which I second:
Make ALL necessary repairs;
Clean, clean, clean;
Fresh paint wherever it's needed;
De-clutter;
Change the litter box OFTEN;
Wash all the windows inside and out, and open the blinds/curtains;
Baking soda sprinkled on the carpets, and then vacuumed helps a lot.
Keep a small pan on the stove with some cinnamon and cloves (and
orange slices if you have them handy)gently simmering (if they ask,
tell them you're mulling cider);
Febreze for persistent trouble spots.

Patience! Good luck,

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old March 31st 05, 01:50 AM
Taria

but you get to eat the bread!
Larisa I thought you said you found your dream home?
Open the windows and then turn on the heater if
needed. Lots of folks have cat allergies so any sign
of cats and there is a problem. ALso if it smells like
'cat' the first thought is it will need new carpet whether
it does or not. We had few lookers to our San Diego house
when we sold it. No offers forever and then 2 offers in
one evening and a sale. Things happen in their own time.
Hang in there.
TAria