other possible machines

Old March 18th 05, 04:08 PM
CNYstitcher

Default other possible machines

What about these??

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...174#long_descr

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...916#long_descr

of course, this was the first one I looked at:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...sell=3 429493

Larisa, not sure about Brother machines, like Kenmore machines, can't
make up my mind
Old March 18th 05, 04:27 PM
Taria

How can we argue if Jess is happy?

I think the biggest problem that the low end machines
have is that they tend to lose tension. As long as
you know what you are getting into it is your choice.

I'm not really environmentally crazy but I am trying
to buy less disposable stuff. It seems so much that we
buy is Chinese import stuff I really have tried to
buy less. Just a whole 'nother angle.

Taria

Jan wrote:
For what it's worth... I did just buy this one from walmart in the last
month (now putting on my flame retardant gear) and I absolutely love it...
and let's face it... thier return policy if it's a lemon is so much more
liberal than the local dealer who gives you 3 business days. ;-) And
Jessica absolutely loves the customized purses and t-shirts... she wakes up
first thing and yells "let's make a mickey!" lol.. I haven't even bought
another card yet.

Sews like a dream, and has extra lift to the pressure foot so you can get
an embroidery hoop in there which works to a quilter's advantage... and I
love the thread clip... the only thing I wish it had was pressure foot
adjustment.. it seems to do that on it's own?? I don't know... but I do
like the machine...very much... and for the price... I can buy several and
go thru several for what I paid for my last name brand machine. ;-)

Jan

CNYstitcher wrote in
:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...7444&cat=4770&
type=1&dept=4044&path=0%3A4044%3A4064%3A90433%3A 4770&xsell=3429493

Old March 18th 05, 04:38 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

ohmigawsh!! This has so many more functions than my Bernina that I paid 7x
the price of this one. I don't even like my Bernina as much as I like my
Athena 2000.
--
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~

Old March 18th 05, 05:54 PM

CNYstitcher wrote:

Larisa, not sure about Brother machines, like Kenmore machines, can't
make up my mind

I would not trust ANY machine sold by Walmart as being deserving of
someone who loves to sew. Have you checked out your local sewing
machine stores to see if they have nice used machines at low prices? I
bought this GREAT 30-stitch, 20- or 30-year-old New Home machine for $129.
Old March 18th 05, 05:55 PM

Jan wrote:
I agree, less in landfills, but... I paid $$$$ for the last machine and
it lasted 5 years before it was broken beyond repair... and it didn't do
nearly as much as this machine... so, if that helps explain my change in
tactics. ;-)

Find a well-made machine from the 70s that is still in good condition,
and don't get a computerized model. Then you will have a machine that
will last you a looooong time.
Old March 18th 05, 06:01 PM
PS in AR.

I bought a Brother-----not from Walmart, and it is upscale a bit from
theirs, but I found it to be the best value for not a lot of
money.....I gave $400 for it and it sews up a storm!!

Old March 18th 05, 06:48 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I disagree - my computerized Singer Athena 2000 was bought in 1976 and is
still running smooth and does a wonderful job. I love it and I really put
it to a test because I made all my children's clothing right down to their
underwear on it. i made my own drapery and furniture covers on it. I
quilted on it. I like my old Athena a lot more than I do the Bernina QE 151
that I paid way too much for. Don't discredit brand names just because it
sits on a Wal-mart shelf either. Wal-mart carries some really nice stuff
for a lot less $$. Go try it out. That's just my humble opinion ...
--
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~

Old March 18th 05, 08:11 PM

PS in AR. wrote:
I bought a Brother-----not from Walmart, and it is upscale a bit from
theirs, but I found it to be the best value for not a lot of
money.....I gave $400 for it and it sews up a storm!!

The mid-range Brothers are fine. Their low-end ones are "made by the
cheapest bidder" machines. Ditto for Sears low-end machines, Singer
machines, Bernette machines, Viking's low-end machines, etc.
Old March 18th 05, 08:12 PM

Getting a noncomputerized machine is a safer bet than getting a
computerized machine -- and if the electronics of a computerized machine
break down 20 years from now you're sunk.

I didn't say that every machine that Walmart sells is a bad *brand,*
only that the $100 machines that sit on their shelves are not likely to
be durable machines.

Old March 18th 05, 08:26 PM

"Melinda Meahan

I would not trust ANY machine sold by Walmart as being deserving of
someone who loves to sew.

Just what is it that happens to sewing machines when the pass through
the
Walmart system?

Can you state specifics about the difference between a Brother sold at
Walmart and the equivalent but much more expensive Brother sold across
the street?

Not just genaralities but facts... specs and model numbers please.

I bought a Brother XL6562 for $150 at Walmart and am delighted with it.
My wife's Singer broke its gears for the third time and we decided to
have a look before getting it fixed again. She also loves the new one
and has no interest in getting the Singer fixed.

Just what is going to happen to change our minds about this because it
came from Walmart?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com