What do you like/don't you like about quilting?

Old January 28th 05, 02:38 PM
KJ

I don't like sewing rows of blocks together. I guess they look like they
are already done when put up on the design wall. They get so clumsy to
handle when getting down to the last couple of rows. I have even started to
sew tops together in blocks of 4-6 so I don't have the long rows to sew
together until the last. That helps a little.
I don't like hand quilting or other hand work (except binding..sew below),
and I guess I'm not that crazy about machine quilting either judging by the
number of unfinished tops I have. But I'm getting better at it. And I also
don't like paying the bill to the longarm quilter. But at least it's closer
to finished!
--
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Although I DO like sewing on binding, I don't like putting on a label. I
never know quite what to say on it or how to say it..first person voice,
third person voice? And when I appliqué the label, it always looks
crooked....see hand work (above).
The rest of the process is enjoyable, the dreaming, the buying
(especially!), the cutting, the sewing, sometimes the unsewing (I love my
moustache trimmer!) and the last folding before putting on display or giving
away. Whew!

""Pussywillow" Volfie" wrote in message
I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like" limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for me,

will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I

could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

Old January 28th 05, 02:52 PM
Diana Curtis

Sniff.
Best answer award goes to.. this post...
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
.net...
I love the honor of hugging a little guy who arrives at a shelter with
nothing to call his own, not even a Wal-Mart plastic sack with a change of
underwear. The quilts to the Linus folks, the little ones at the Lion's
House who were abandoned and the neonatal unit where, for a long time,

they
are only known as the "baby with the chicken quilt" because it hurts too
much to think of that little bit of life as a person.
I love having the time, enough skill, the materials and the tools to
show love. Yes. I love it. Polly

Old January 28th 05, 03:13 PM
Patti

Well, a few months ago my answer would have been different! I have
'moved on', as they say!
I do love getting ideas and designing on paper - probably still my
favourite bit;
I now really like choosing the fabrics - I used to find that difficult,
but now I enjoy it so much it doesn't seem hard;
I do enjoy the piecing;
I am beginning to like the quilting - some I now positively enjoy; I
have no problem with putting the binding on - I just love those dear
little mitres that appear so neatly - have you ever tried a one-eighth
inch binding? so cute, the little mitres come just the same!!
But - NOW - I hate deadlines. I've put up with them for years; but am no
longer going to indulge in them gg
..
In article , "\"Pussywillow\"
Volfie" writes
I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like" limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for me, I
will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 28th 05, 03:27 PM
Kellie J. Berger

I KNEW there were more reasons we got along so well Sandy !! I don't even
have to say what i like/don't like cause you've already done it for me!!!
'cept most days i could do w/o ironing too. But it is rather nice to have
done it well and move on...

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/berger....net/my_photos

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
I love deciding what quilt/pattern(s) I want to use next. I love looking
at and deciding upon fabrics. I'm not crazy about cutting. I love
piecing and don't mind pressing, except in the summer when it's too hot
to want the iron heating up my room. I don't like sandwiching and
basting, nor do I like agonizing over how I'm going to quilt a piece.
However, I love quilting it, and I even like binding it and attaching
the label.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old January 28th 05, 05:17 PM
Jalynne

If I could skip the cutting and piecing, the whole quilting process would be perfect.
OOOOH, that's what wholecloth quilts are for. The part I love doing most is getting
a whole bunch of donated blocks and setting them into a HUG quilt.

--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 28th 05, 05:33 PM
Betty in Wi

We need to form a commune!!! We could each do what we like. I see a booming
busines!! I bet some of us even like to cook and clean.

Betty in WI

.net...

Old January 28th 05, 06:00 PM
Elizabeth Young

Yep, know that.
But I like the way binding looks!
However, I am going to make a few placemats, and they will be birthed.

liz young in rainy california

Polly Esther wrote:
Ummm, Liz. If you have a bit of a problem with binding, do you know that
you really don't have to bind?
You can birth the quilt (even a kingsize water bed monster if you must).
You can pin the edges nicely and stitch around with something pretty -
most SMs from even 1959 can do at least two or three fancy stitches.
The edges will be sturdy and if you think about who's going to be hugged
by your quilt, the time spent will change from tedious to bearable. Music
you love or a fairly hum-drum movie on the DVD will help. Polly

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
m...

"Pussywillow" Volfie wrote:

I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like picking out a pattern
I like picking out fabric

I don't much like cutting out
I like doing the first several blocks

Then I get a little bored and start down the path of increasingly
'interesting' speed piecing methods. Often with 'interesting' results
(and a seamripper in there somewhere)

I like assembling the finished blocks

I don't mind making the sandwich and basting, but I do get tired of
little dinky safety pins after a while

I like quilting, but don't like having to re=roll the quilt to get to
the unquilted bits

I loathe binding, loathe loathe, loathe

I love vegetating on the couch under my nice new quilt

liz young in partly cloudy california

Old January 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Diana Curtis

I love that idea. Im waiting for Jalynne to buy that farm in the warm
location so I can join up and be the mistress of the herb garden, and tender
of goats and chickens. Ill also MQ.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Betty in Wi" wrote in message
We need to form a commune!!! We could each do what we like. I see a

booming
busines!! I bet some of us even like to cook and clean.

Betty in WI

.net...

Old January 28th 05, 06:46 PM
I.E.Z.

I like all of it, except possibly the pin basting, because you have to
figure how to baste it so as not to interfere too much with the quilting. I
don't always know for sure how I'm going to quilt it at that point.
Sometimes I change my mind about the quilting after I've pinned, and the
darn pins are all in the wrong places! But I like planning, cutting,
piecing, pressing, sewing it all together and machine quilting it. I don't
mind the binding, and in fact since I make a lot of quillows, which are
"birthed" I don't do it that often anyway.

Iris

Old January 28th 05, 06:58 PM
Butterfly

Being able to quilt and sew once again...even tho it no longer means being
able to do it by hand.

Butterfly