What do you like/don't you like about quilting?

Old January 28th 05, 01:37 AM
\Pussywillow\ Volfie

Default What do you like/don't you like about quilting?

I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like" limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for me, I
will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

Old January 28th 05, 01:40 AM
Diana Curtis

I enjoy designing, and putting the last stitch in the binding. :-)
I like pressing bits and finding they went together acceptably well.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 28th 05, 01:50 AM
maryd

I love looking at patterns and picking fabrics. Cutting is OK. I love the
sewing of bits to make them into a new whole. Once I've got a top pieced, I
would love to pass it on to someone else to finish. And I love finished.

--
Mary
:

Old January 28th 05, 01:55 AM
frood

I *love* cutting! And designing/planning/fondling fabric. I like sewing.
Pressing is ok, sometimes it is very satisfying, and warming on a cold day!

Basting is kind of fun, especially when my DH helps me. He says he enjoys
helping me with it, too.

Quilting, not so much. As I get better at MQing, I enjoy it more, but still
my least favorite part, especially stippling!

Binding I tolerate as a way to get a finished quilt.

You stipple for me, and I'll sew for you!

--
Wendy
"I could *so* save the world if somebody handed me superpowers." - Dawn

Old January 28th 05, 02:15 AM
Diana Curtis

You cut for me, Ill stipple for you.
but in between I think we will spend long hours at the design wall playing.
Ok?
Ill bring chocolate.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 28th 05, 04:34 AM
Sandy Foster

I love deciding what quilt/pattern(s) I want to use next. I love looking
at and deciding upon fabrics. I'm not crazy about cutting. I love
piecing and don't mind pressing, except in the summer when it's too hot
to want the iron heating up my room. I don't like sandwiching and
basting, nor do I like agonizing over how I'm going to quilt a piece.
However, I love quilting it, and I even like binding it and attaching
the label.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 28th 05, 04:44 AM
Julia in MN

Sandy Foster wrote:
I love deciding what quilt/pattern(s) I want to use next. I love looking
at and deciding upon fabrics. I'm not crazy about cutting. I love
piecing and don't mind pressing, except in the summer when it's too hot
to want the iron heating up my room. I don't like sandwiching and
basting, nor do I like agonizing over how I'm going to quilt a piece.
However, I love quilting it, and I even like binding it and attaching
the label.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too, except I don't
particularly care for binding, except that it means the quilt is done.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 28th 05, 05:48 AM
Polly Esther

I love the honor of hugging a little guy who arrives at a shelter with
nothing to call his own, not even a Wal-Mart plastic sack with a change of
underwear. The quilts to the Linus folks, the little ones at the Lion's
House who were abandoned and the neonatal unit where, for a long time, they
are only known as the "baby with the chicken quilt" because it hurts too
much to think of that little bit of life as a person.
I love having the time, enough skill, the materials and the tools to
show love. Yes. I love it. Polly

Old January 28th 05, 05:59 AM
Elizabeth Young

"Pussywillow" Volfie wrote:
I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like picking out a pattern
I like picking out fabric

I don't much like cutting out
I like doing the first several blocks

Then I get a little bored and start down the path of increasingly
'interesting' speed piecing methods. Often with 'interesting' results
(and a seamripper in there somewhere)

I like assembling the finished blocks

I don't mind making the sandwich and basting, but I do get tired of
little dinky safety pins after a while

I like quilting, but don't like having to re=roll the quilt to get to
the unquilted bits

I loathe binding, loathe loathe, loathe

I love vegetating on the couch under my nice new quilt

liz young in partly cloudy california
Old January 28th 05, 06:23 AM
Polly Esther

Ummm, Liz. If you have a bit of a problem with binding, do you know that
you really don't have to bind?
You can birth the quilt (even a kingsize water bed monster if you must).
You can pin the edges nicely and stitch around with something pretty -
most SMs from even 1959 can do at least two or three fancy stitches.
The edges will be sturdy and if you think about who's going to be hugged
by your quilt, the time spent will change from tedious to bearable. Music
you love or a fairly hum-drum movie on the DVD will help. Polly

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
m...