Taking the Name of Camels in Vain

Old September 4th 04, 09:12 PM
NightMist

Default Taking the Name of Camels in Vain

OK, so last night I was showing a friend of DD1 how to design and
piece a double wedding ring.
We paused for supper, and then after we resumed and had just finished
sample layouts of the paper templates on the muslin background and
blocks of strip pieceing, when kiri came in with the things to make
ice cream floats for dessert. We were working in the kitchen because
of space limitations in my room, so I just set everything aside at the
end of the table. How long could it take to have a float after all?

So we are all settled down at the table, adults haveing root beer
kidlets with fruit flavors. Then it is discovered that we are short a
straw, kiri goes to get one out of the drawer and has to paw a bit
because they have rolled to the back. During the rummage she holds up
a cookie cutter and wonders aloud what it is. It was a camel, which
spawns a conversation about why camel shapes are so popular for
cookies during Christmas. DH says it is the whole manger thing, I
point out that camels were sort of the Lamborghini of those days and
it wouldn't be all that likely to find one parked at a Motel 6 in
Bethlehem. Thus the conversation went.
Meantime, Ash is sitting next to me with his grape float and being
very good with it. He carefully ate his ice cream and was useing his
straw correctly, all the best you could expect. Then he suddenly
picked up his cup and slammed it down (in an upright position) on the
table. For some reason I ended up splattered with milky grape soda
and ice cream bits while his mum on the other side of him stayed
clean. I also had a puddle in front of me. DD3 jumped up and got
some paper towels handing one to me, starting mop up in front of me
with one and dropping another on the table. Ash picked up the spare
and started trying to help clean. He managed to mop some onto my
until then dry lap and then started trying to wipe it off my lap with
his soggy bit of towel. DD immediately tried to stem the flow off of
the table. Meanwhile, a thin stream ran down the table and soaked
into my white muslin.

DH has informed me that this was all instant karma for taking the
name of camels in vain.

I have discovered today, that the staining power of cheap grape soda
when combined with Breyers creamy vanilla ice cream is really quite
impressive. I must say that I am very happy that it is muslin and not
a more premium fabric. One drop did manage to splash high and land on
top of the stack of quilting things, but it landed on my compass and
was easily cleaned off.

My new resolution is to get me a plastic box or tray that will fit
conviniently on the table when I have to work in the kitchen. All
stainable or fluid damageable etc. items will stay on it so long as
they are on that table!

NightMist
not quite sure she got all the ice cream out of her ear
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old September 4th 04, 10:28 PM
Diana Curtis

Those seem to be two wise precautions. Seems all those colored drinks for
kids are guarenteed to provide you with a life time reminder of the folly of
allowing them to drink such things anywhere but outside.
The camel thing I cant help you with.
Diana, with a koolaid, chocolate milk and unidentified stained carpet...

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

Old September 4th 04, 10:39 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Diana Curtis wrote:
Those seem to be two wise precautions. Seems all those colored drinks for
kids are guarenteed to provide you with a life time reminder of the folly of
allowing them to drink such things anywhere but outside.
The camel thing I cant help you with.

We could donate our carpet to Porton Down for biological weapons
research. I think it will come out in the next 12 months and be
replaced with either wood or laminate flooring that won't absorb "yuck"*
so easily. How ever fast I clean the spillages and how ever much I
vacuum it there is always some unidentified icky bit somewhere.

Lizzy

* Yuck = milk, juice, any liquids, play dough, blue tack and other
sticky stuff.

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old September 4th 04, 10:56 PM
nzl*

seems like when we got little ones in the house, we live in a hovel, least
floorwise we do. sigh.....
so many stains, so little stainremovers that work.
jeanne
just glad it aint camel poop
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old September 4th 04, 11:57 PM
Kate Dicey

NightMist wrote:

-------------Gently mopped along with the tears...--------------

NightMist
not quite sure she got all the ice cream out of her ear

Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing, as James also did a great one today...

I was fixing lunch: just sandwiches and salad, but we though some
vinegrette dressing would be a nice addition. Put vinegar, oil, Dijon
mustard, salt, a little sugar, herbs in the shaker... Fixed the lid,
and James shook it nicely, over the sink. Then we tasted it, and it
needed a little adjusting, so we did that, popped the lid back on, and
he gave it another vigorous shake... Only he hadn't *QUITE* fixed the
lid, and sprayed himself with vinegrette - and a goodly part of the
kitchen! There he stood, dripping and licking vinegrette off hid face,
saying, 'Well, at least it TASTES good!'

We mopped him, and the kitchen, and he changed his shirt...

Now I need to get vinegrette dressing (a couple of tablespoonfuls!) out
of a poly shirt... Laundry spray, where are you...

Yes, I laughed, but I also told him about doing the same myself with a
pint of pancake batter, which went a LOT further! And at least I helped
to mop up, whereas his dear father had stood and laughed at me and the
re-decorated kitchen, and almost ended up murdered for not helping at all...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 5th 04, 12:03 AM
Kate Dicey

nzl* wrote:

seems like when we got little ones in the house, we live in a hovel, least
floorwise we do. sigh.....
so many stains, so little stainremovers that work.
jeanne
just glad it aint camel poop

I get cross if I stick to the carpet... I do scrub up accidents as soon
as they happen, but if they leave stains, I cannot tell!

We fitted classroom type carpet in the downstairs: not so comfy as
regular carpet, but easier to clean, and being charcoal gray, it absorbs
most stains beautifully!

--
Kate XXXXXX (Who cannot see where the red wine, coffee, drinking
chocolate, soup, tomato sauce, cat sick, dog poop, or blood hit the
Old September 5th 04, 12:49 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Oh man, grape soda at your house...

Vinagrette at Kates...

Memories of pancake batter too...

It reminds me of that paper towel commercial where the kid shakes the
bottle of orange soda until the lid shoots off and he squirts his mom
and the entire kitchen with soda. Then she goes after him with the sink
squirter.

Only a man could dream up that commercial because a woman would be
thinking - it isn't funny when I have to be the one to clean the darn
mess up.

marcella
Old September 5th 04, 04:36 AM
teleflora

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

Ok, that was a GREAT story. I really enjoyed it.

Cindy

Old September 5th 04, 04:39 AM
Pati Cook

Camel-Christmas connection is fairly straightforward........ the Three Kings
came from "the East".

Carbona may make a spot remover that will take the stains out. Check the small
bottles in the display stand at Jo-Ann's.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 5th 04, 04:41 AM
Pati Cook

Kate, try dry baking soda on the oil stains. Just sprinkle it on heavily, let
sit overnight. Should absorb a lot of it.

Pati, in PHx

Kate Dicey wrote:

NightMist wrote:

[...]

"Taking a spin at pottery class" Mike Pottery 0 October 12th 04 03:56 PM
Taking a break frood Quilting 4 October 20th 03 12:34 AM
taking health risks seriously , silicosis Christina Marriott Pottery 2 July 8th 03 05:57 PM