curious question

Old September 2nd 04, 01:09 AM
DrQuilter

Default curious question

not that I am for advertising in this group or anything like that, but a
doubt has piqued my curiosity. every time we get one of those obnoxious
posts somebody brings out the fact that 'some of us' pay per minute. I
know my mom does that back home, but I am wondering how many of us
really do that and how many have a DSL or dialup plan with a constant
rate no matter how many hours you are connected?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old September 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
Siptah

we've got a broadband cable modem here, flat monthly rate and "always on" as
they say. (fortunately DH is a network admin, so we know our systems are
firewalled and safe, even if we leave the machines on and connected 24/7).
My understanding is that in the "old world" areas (UK, Europe esp) that all
dial up (even phone?) is pay per minute, that flat rate plans are only just
starting to surface in some of the metro areas.

--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

Old September 2nd 04, 01:38 AM
Nancy Speicher

I don't pay by the minute/hour, but I don't have DSL or dialup. I just
ignore the ads.

snip

Old September 2nd 04, 01:49 AM
Polly Esther

We have a dial-up unlimited minutes system. There are faster ones available
through our tv cable system. We didn't choose the cable ones because of our
area's vulnerability to storms. The phone lines are considered necessities
and are fixed quickly when a storm takes them out. The cable is considered a
luxury and they get to that one just when they can. Probably more Swamp
logic that you wanted. Polly

"DrQuilter" asked not that I am for advertising in this group or

Old September 2nd 04, 02:13 AM
Kathy Applebaum

I pay by the minute when I surf from home, which is why I usually read the
group at work. (Well, that and I have high speed access at work. *grin*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 2nd 04, 02:17 AM
muse9

We have cable internet service with a flat monthly rate. It is always
online. I sure like it better than dial-up which we used to have but the
cable internet does cost more.

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

Old September 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
nana2b

I have DSL and pay a flat fee. I started with dial up when I first got a PC
and also had a flat fee plan.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old September 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I've got DSL, but even when I had dial-up it didn't matter how much time I
spent on the newsgroups.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 2nd 04, 03:51 AM
Don/Gen

We pay $20 per month through MSN for 24/7 access. I can stay on line for 24
hours if I want and it's still only $20, newsgroups included. I doubt I'd
bother with them if I had to pay extra.
Gen

"Nancy Speicher" wrote in message
I don't pay by the minute/hour, but I don't have DSL or dialup. I just
ignore the ads.

snip

Old September 2nd 04, 03:54 AM
Clooniff

Is this showing my age? I can remember when I first got an internet
connection. It was a dial-up AOL and you got a 300 minutes per month. It
was rather like current cellphone contracts. Then they came up with
unlimited access if you paid more. Then I got fed up with them--I kept
getting cut off right in the middle of things-- and switched to AT&T. Still
dial-up, eventually started getting abrupt cut-offs from them. After I lost
the connection 10 times in one hour I bit the bullet and paid the big bucks
for cable.. Now I am utterly spoiled. The cable may go out now and then,
but I'm never disconnected in midstream and the speed is unbelievable.

Betty in CT