Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 24th 04, 06:36 PM
DrQuilter

I think it is pretty obvious what I come here to. Babble, whine, show
off.. ) but also to see what other people are doing and HOW they are
doing, for inspiration, for companionship, for ideas, for support.

I have a list of names in my head that I keep track off, because I feel
like I know them after reading them all this time. Of course I might
have the wrong impression of them, and sometimes I am suprised about how
they look when I see a pic of them or meet them in person..

I have no clue how long I've been reading this on and off, but I enjoy
it a lot and I feel deprived when I can't do it.

SueB wrote:

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message ...

I pay to learn how to quilt better. To get quilting advice. To get
inspiration and techinical advice about quilting. I also pay for the
friendship and fun chat.
So, what does everyone else come here for?
Diana

(other stuff snipped to save time)

I come here to find new ideas, products, links, techniques, cyber
friends of like quilt-minds (you know what I mean). I even read some
OT posts when I'm bored. You can pretty much figure out what is a
waste of time and skip it. I'm not comfortable upbraiding people who
might stray from the intent of the group, it's easier to just ignore
it. Hey, maybe they honestly didn't know, and in that case don't
deserve being flamed.

Just my 2cents.
Happy quilting
SueB

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old August 24th 04, 07:38 PM
Julia in MN

I do think of this newsgroup as more of a quilting bee than a class.

I don't think it is generally a place for advertising, such as when
someone pops in simply to say "take a look at our web site to see all
the great stuff we have for sale." When someone who is in some
quilt-related business simply adds their website name without comment at
the bottom of their message, I don't consider that to be advertising. I
also don't consider it advertising if someone asks where to find some
item and a quilt shop pops in to say, "you can find it here"; I don't
see that that is any different than if anyone else points out a source
for the item in question.

The biggest irritant for me -- and it is really minor -- are all of the
"me, too" posts that aren't reallly of general interest, such as
compliments on a picture or comments on a prayer/good thoughts request.
It seems to me that those could be handled with an offline note to the
original person. I usually skip through those pretty fast and sometimes
mark the entire thread as read, though I often feel as if I might be
missing some related question and answer.

Just my two cents worth...

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 24th 04, 07:43 PM
the black rose

Sharon Harper wrote:
It's twoo! It's twoo, it's twoo, it's twooo!!!

It's twoo what dey say about Ozzies? *ducking and running*

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 24th 04, 09:15 PM
Shona in NZ

~Snort~

Shona not falling for that one in NZ

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
But I'm naturally timid and shy and retiring. {{batting fluffy eyelashes

at
all and sundry}}. It's my nature....

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have asked here and gotten great answers to such questions as where

can
get the best price for green-band SM needles, and we had a lot of fun

with
the best safety pins, also including where and how much. Please don't

feel
timid about sharing any great deals you discover, some of us sorely need
them. Polly

"Sharon Harper" wrote Even just OT and a space works it. Just like

my
changed subject line.
(insert superior look down one's nose at those that don't change the

subject
line) LOL.

Old August 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Shona in NZ

Oh yes! I would love to buy bulk blades. Wouldn't that be heaven

Shona who finds cutting with a new blade blissful in NZ

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Polly Esther wrote:
I have asked here and gotten great answers to such questions as where

can I
get the best price for green-band SM needles, and we had a lot of fun

with
the best safety pins, also including where and how much. Please don't

feel
timid about sharing any great deals you discover, some of us sorely need
them. Polly

Especially on rotary cutter blades. I'd buy them in bulk the way I do
needles if I could save money on them.

--Lia

Old August 24th 04, 09:20 PM
Shona in NZ

For some reason I keep reading shy as sly...

Shona wondering if there is some truth to that in NZ :-)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I believe you. I'm the same. Shy and socially uneasy in real life and

well..
you *know* how I am here. So, ya... its possible you are shy and retiring
IRL.
Diana

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
It's twoo! It's twoo, it's twoo, it's twooo!!!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html
**********************

"nzl*" wrote in message
yea yea, pull the other one. rofl.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sharon Harper" wrote...

Old August 25th 04, 02:38 AM
Bronwyn Ferrier Ms

Julia in MN wrote in message ...
[...]

My A$0.02 worth is this -- I think of this wonderful ng as more of a
quilting bee than lesson. It is a relaxed forum to chat and exchange
information mostly about quilting. For people who are not close to
quilting guilds and friends, this is a great way to connect with
like-minded friends and we should welcome everyone regardless of
perceived personalities. I am in agreement with Julia above about
advertising. Diana has some good points too, but we can agree to
differ on some.
I haven't figured out how to filter out posts and people, but
generally I just run the eye down the topics and see what potentially
is of interest.
The best thing of the group is the way technology can link us
altogether around the globe in an instant - reflect on that and be
amazed. Individually we are all fortunate to have access to that
technology. Alot of people don't, including ones in my quilt guild of
200+ ladies.
Now, back to the sewing machine g
Cheers and hugs
Bronwyn in Oz.
Old August 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Natalie

Oh! Does anyone know where to get bulk blades? I found one place that
sold 5 for $29 but with $6 shipping it didn't help much...

Any other recommendations?

(I usually wait till I have a STWLTH coupon...)

NS

Old August 25th 04, 03:58 AM
Natalie

Is this a special or a coupon?

Thanks!
NS

Pati Cook wrote:

Check the newest mailer for TSWLTH, there is a special on a 7 pack of 45mm
rotary blades that includes a little rotary cutter lapel/hat pin. Cute little
thing.

Pati, in Phx.

Polly Esther wrote:

Jalynne is right, Sharon, that was pretty awful. And yes! Lia, I would love
to know where and best price for rotary blades. Some klutz here surely does
use them up quickly. I don't know who but have noticed that my rulers don't
exactly have square corners anymore. A screw loose at the controls strikes
again, and again. Polly

"Jalynne" wrote You should have posted a spew warning on that one,
Sharon. wrote But I'm naturally timid and shy and retiring. {{batting
fluffy eyelashes at

all and sundry}}. It's my nature....

Old August 25th 04, 04:07 AM
Diana Curtis

Have you looked at Hancocks of Paducah? I see 10 Olfa blades, 45mm, for
$24.98... but I dont know what shipping is.
HTH
Diana