Questions for Hug Hostesses

Old August 11th 04, 02:32 PM
Queen of Squishies

As keeper of the list I can tell you that just about every other Hug is
questioned by somebody or other. You're in good company!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

getting email from people who aren't sure your cause is "worthy"
(whatever that means)

Old August 11th 04, 03:03 PM
Taria

I think timing can make a big difference. There have been a couple
of times when so many hugs were being put together it was hard
to tell just what was going on.
Taria

Queen of Squishies wrote:
Yeah, that was a bummer. Not many people knew you guys yet, for one thing.
But every Hug takes on a life of it's own, it seems. And I've never seen an
ugly Hug, a too small Hug, or a disappointing Hug. Somehow, it just always
works out.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

getting barely enough blocks (fewer than 20) to make a crib-size quilt
when all the other hostesses rave about getting dozens and making twin
size or queen size quilts out of them

Old August 11th 04, 03:04 PM
Diana Curtis

What I dont understand is why people bother emailing you about whether the
Hug is worthy or not. If a particular Hug doesnt speak to you, compell you
to send blocks, then dont. Its simple. Going to Karen to complain seems
pointless. Well.. I did it once but not because she maintains the hug
list... but because shes a friend and I was venting.The difference is that
she didnt have to justify the Hug to me. Karen doesnt put a stamp of
approval on requests, she just passes them on, folks.
Diana

Old August 11th 04, 03:46 PM
Bonnie

Diana Curtis wrote:

My goal is to help those who might wish to host one avoid or anticipate the
most common problems, and encourage those people who would like to donate
blocks or time to a Hug to feel less shy about doing so.
Diana

Hi Diana,
I have done 2 hugs now and loved the experience. It is such
fun of getting the blocks and arranging and rearranging
with each new block. Then finally sending it off with the
thought of the "warmth" it will bring - I love it! It's
good to know if the blocks are coming, especially if it's
close to the end of the alloted time. Then I know if I
should hold off on beginning the construction. I'm always
antsy to get started!

The only problem would be - small blocks and odors in
fabric. These are annoying but would not stop me from doing
another hug. In all, it's a great experience!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 11th 04, 04:22 PM
Roberta Zollner

The #1 pet peeve has got to be blocks that are a very different size. It's
OK if they're appliqué on a too-big background, but there always seem to be
several in my annual friendship quilt that simply are too small. Pet peeve
#2 is the tendency to wild embellishment among some of my contributors.
Makes it very hard to assemble and quilt when the block is covered with
beads or 3-D bits. Fun to look at though!
The #3 gripe is failure to meet the deadline.
Apart from those 3 things, I love putting these together. Really improves
the quality of my mail!
Roberta in D

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few

now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.

Old August 11th 04, 04:38 PM
Susan Laity Price

I find that if I don't respond by mailing hug blocks right away the
request gets lost in the stack of papers on my desk. I try to keep a
few 6.5" blocks on hand so they can go to the mailbox the day the
request arrives. When I finish a project and have scraps on my table I
just sew them into 6.5" blocks.

If I have the perfect fabric for the requested theme I usually make
several very simple blocks to send. Am I right in thinking that the
person putting the quilt together would rather have several simple
blocks following the theme than one elaborately pieced block? I sign
only one of the blocks. If I ever send you more than one block and
forget to mention it please don't feel you have to include the extra
blocks. If you don't need them for the HUG put them in something for
yourself or save them for another HUG. The signed block is the
official HUG block.

Thanks to all who take the time to assemble the HUG quilts.

Susan

Old August 11th 04, 04:41 PM
nana2b

As a semi-newbie (about a year) I decided to participate in the "Hugs". I
was a little nervous, but I sent a block that I was confident was done well.
I gave me a nice feeling to participate and know that the "Hug" would make
someone feel better or just make their day. I also participated in the
delivery of a "Hug", now that was great! Seeing the recipiants face really
reinforced the entire process. I have not hosted a "Hug" yet, but have
offered to quilt a "Hug" in progress. I cannot produce a large amount of
quilts to donate to charity as some of you wonderful quilters do, so this
makes me feel like I am doing a small part.

Usually I do a PP block that is my favorite. In the future I will E-mail to
ask the hostess about the paper issue and the trimming of the block. Right
now I am participating in 2 Hugs. They are mailed off and I will E-mail the
hostesses to let them know they are on their way!

You are a great group of people and I am honored to be a part of the group.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 11th 04, 04:48 PM
Debbie

As keeper of the list I can tell you that just about every other Hug is
questioned by somebody or other. You're in good company!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Karen, how does one go about getting added to the list? If a Hug is being done
for a regular member, how is it kept secret?

And, just curious here, does anyone keep a list of Hugs that have been given
and where the recipients are now?

Debbie in MN
http://hometown.aol.com/dmoscarson/m...xtilearts.html
Old August 11th 04, 04:54 PM
Diana Curtis

I think more simple blocks as opposed to one elaborate one is a lovely idea.
Sending anything is better than nothing. I think attitude and feelings get
soaked into the quilt while its being assembled. The more love that gets
into them, the better.
Diana

Old August 11th 04, 04:58 PM
Diana Curtis

You addressed a good point. Hugs give us a chance to be a part of something
greater than ourselves. What we cannot do alone we can do as a cooperative
group. It doesnt seem to matter whether one gives one block, a bunch, cash,
batt... its all a team effort and the good feelings that come from being a
part of a Hug belong to everyone.
Thanks Linda!
Diana

news