World quilt help

Old May 20th 04, 05:42 AM
Shona in NZ

Default World quilt help

Hello all,

I have an idea and thought I might get some ideas from your collective
wisdom.

I have a friend who just loves world maps. He will sit for hours looking at
the one hanging on his wall. So I thought it would be fitting to make him a
world quilt of sorts. He REALLY likes my NZ critter quilt so I would like
to do something similar.

My idea is to get a world map panel and surround it with blocks of appliqué
critters/plants from around the world; things that are representative of the
different countries. For example Australia=kangaroo/koala/eucalyptus,
NZ=Kiwi/Silver fern, USA=Golden Eagle/Pine trees (west coast anyway!).

What critters (mammal, bird, insect, fish, amphibian, etc) and plants
represent which countries for you???

Old May 20th 04, 06:10 AM
*KoffeeKupz*

I have to say a beaver, mountains and the maple leaf are the first three
things that came to my mind for Canada.

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

Old May 20th 04, 06:17 AM
Mary in Oregon

mountains, desert, bison, bald eagle, fir trees, maple trees, cactus, palm
trees, lakes, rivers, wheat & corn fields, golden gate bridge, statue of
liberty, arch in st. louis, atlantic and pacific ocean..... want more????

--
Mary

Old May 20th 04, 07:36 AM
Piglet

To cover the whole country, maybe corn/cotton/wheat and eagles?

Pine trees are pretty constant too---the type of pine may vary, but we've
got pines growing all over the country.....

If you drive across the US, coast to coast, about halfway between the
northern and southern borders, what you will see more of before you're done
than anything else is fields and fields of corn (maize) and wheat.

--pig

On 5/19/04 23:42, opined:

USA=Golden Eagle/Pine trees (west coast anyway!).

Old May 20th 04, 07:50 AM
Tamara

What about the Redwood trees, the vineyards that are on both coasts,
bears, buffalo, just to think of a few.

Tamara

Old May 20th 04, 07:53 AM
Shirley Ellen

Does he like the flags of countries? I can send you a piece of Canadian Flag
fabric. My son has Aspergers (Autism) and he loves flags and maps.

Shirley - BC Canada

--
My Quilt Site
http://ca.geocities.com/meadow1951/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old May 20th 04, 10:50 AM
Patti

Bagpipes and tartan for Scotland.
Daffodil for Wales
Shamrock for Ireland
Bulldog, rose and thatched cottages for England.
..
In article , Shona in NZ
writes
Hello all,

I have an idea and thought I might get some ideas from your collective
wisdom.

I have a friend who just loves world maps. He will sit for hours looking at
the one hanging on his wall. So I thought it would be fitting to make him a
world quilt of sorts. He REALLY likes my NZ critter quilt so I would like
to do something similar.

My idea is to get a world map panel and surround it with blocks of appliqué
critters/plants from around the world; things that are representative of the
different countries. For example Australia=kangaroo/koala/eucalyptus,
NZ=Kiwi/Silver fern, USA=Golden Eagle/Pine trees (west coast anyway!).

What critters (mammal, bird, insect, fish, amphibian, etc) and plants
represent which countries for you???

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 20th 04, 11:33 AM
bogus address

My idea is to get a world map panel and surround it with blocks of
applique critters/plants from around the world; things that are
representative of the different countries. For example Australia=
kangaroo/koala/eucalyptus, NZ=Kiwi/Silver fern, USA=Golden Eagle/Pine
trees (west coast anyway!).

What critters (mammal, bird, insect, fish, amphibian, etc) and plants
represent which countries for you???

New Zealand: the peripatus (how *could* you leave them out?
they're really cute)

Scotland: the midge.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old May 20th 04, 11:52 AM
Diana Curtis

If you ask someone from outside Canada what comes to mind ... heehee...
Moose, Maple Leaf, Hockey sticks... and poutine, tho that would be hard to
represent in applique..
Diana, married to a native of NB