OT very. Long Hair Care

Old May 8th 04, 06:16 AM
Heather

It took me about 7 years.

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message

I've had hair to my rear end for years

How long did it take you to get your hair from nape to waste? DH won't
speak to me until mine is that long after I had 2 bad haircuts in close
sucession and now am trying to get these darn long bangs out of my eyes!

Cyndi

Old May 8th 04, 07:07 AM
Patti

Hullo Polly
I've had mine cut again now!; but the very best thing I had, when mine
was longish, was a wide-toothed comb with three rows of 'spikes'. I
used these for years and years and never had tangling problems. I don't
know if they are still made? The thing that used to mess mine up most
was too much towel drying before the hair-dryer.
..
In article et, Polly
Esther writes
Since moving to The Swamp, I realized that long hair was the easiest way to
go; no perms, stylists, curling irons or curlers. Yes. I can either look
like Maw Kettle or Grace Kelly, depending on the occasion. Since my hair has
always been a short, blow-dry sort, I really need any advice you have on the
care and treatment of long hair. I have learned that tangling long hair
while shampoo-ing creates an enormous mess and can be avoided by just being
conservative. Is there a better kind of brush and/or comb that won't break
or damage long hair? Do any of you have a special recipe (such as mayonnaise
and pickled pumpkin seed) that is good for it? or have you found a
brand/type of shampoo that you favor? I sure need help, this is a new
territory for me. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 8th 04, 07:24 AM
Joanna

I've had long hair all my life and the most important thing you can do
is how you dry it and brush it. First don't fluff dry it with a towel,
pat dry like your skin. They say it is better to comb and not brush but
I can never get used to that. So I brush but carefully. Don't force the
brush. If you hit a tangle start at the top and go little bits at a
time. When your hair really gets long you might even half to separate
sections to brush one part at a time. As far a shampoos go it's
different in every area depending on your water. But I think changing
shampoos is the best. Every bottle is different. When you run out by
something else. I never go back to one till I have used at least one
bottle of something else. In general though I do prefer Outrageous
shampoo and conditioner but my hair is dry. When ever possible let it
air dry.
Take Care
Joanna
--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old May 8th 04, 08:22 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Polly Esther"

........ I really need any advice you have on the
care and treatment of long hair........

I am another one who has had long hair since around the last ice age :-)! I
*shampoo* with whatever we buy at Costco. The rinse is a different story!! I
use Mane & Tail Conditioner -- made for horses! It's is THE BEST product I
have ever used -- and I have used a LOT of things!
I can get the stuff in the grocery store in Georgia so it's easy to come by
and it's not any more expensive than most of the rest of the conditioners.
The best part is that it's wayyyy to concentrated for my hair so I water it
down with equal amounts of water! After that, a dollop the size of a
half-dollar is all I need for my hair and my hair is below my waist!
I wash my hair at night in the shower and, depending on how long your hair
is that's where you will likely be washing yours! After I put the conditioner
on and rinse it out, I run my fingers through my hair repeaatedly to get all
the tangles out. Of course, I will assume that you give your hair a good
brushing before you wash it -- that's a MUST!
So, once I have gotten all the big tangles out in the shower, I gently twist
my hair to get all the excess water out. Then I wrap it in a towel for a few
minutes and squeeze it dry -- no rubbing as my hair is too long. After that, I
take the towel off, run my fingers through my wet hair again and loosely twist
it up and clip it to keep it out of the way when I sleep. It's really too long
to blow dry and that's the reason for shampooing at night!
I have done the mayo and other conditioners but it takes wayyyy to much of
those things to do any good with my long hair. A good stiff bristled brush (I
prefer the type with the metal bristles that have little plastic balls on the
end, set into a soft, flexible base) used religiously will do wonders for long
hair. I have a *very old* comb I got from Avon that was made with the heavy
teeth and it's great for long or wet hair.
I have at least half a gallon of Ovrvus that I plan on using for shampoo
once Dh & I have used up all of the "regular" shampoo. I am interested in
seeing if it works better on my hair that regular people shampoo!! CiaoMeow
^;;^

..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old May 8th 04, 01:08 PM
Julia Altshuler

I'm always learning about myself in the strangest places. This is
another one. When I read the title of this thread, I didn't think I'd
be interested. When I started reading the answers, I found that, not
only do I have an opinion, I have a strong one. The same lady who can
yawn and think "to each her own" when reading about others' choices
about money, sex, relationships, jobs, the same one who can shrug over
someone making a decision very different from her own when it comes to
the most important things in life, this lady is jumping up and down
screaming NO! over hair care. Go figure.

Having said that, I will now procede to tell you how to do it right.
Brush your hair when it is dry and before washing. Shampoo once.
There's no need to repeat. Condition. Leave the conditioner in for a
minute. Rinse. Towel dry. With a wide toothed comb and starting from
the ends, comb while wet. Depending on the weather and your preference,
allow to dry naturally or blow dry. I prefer to let it dry naturally.

If your hair tends towards the oily (typical when we're younger but
possible for anyone), brush several times a day while avoiding letting
the brush hit the scalp. The idea is to distribute natural oils to the
length of the hair where it will add shine and prevent brittleness while
not stimulating more oil production at the scalp itself. If your hair
is very oily, skip the brush and use a comb. If your hair tends towards
dry, brush throughout the day giving your scalp a good massage with the
brush while you're at it.

Styling is a matter of preference, but most styles will look best if
hair is brushed briefly a few times a day. This shouldn't be a big
deal, just a quick step in the lady's room, a quick brush in front of
the mirror and the replacement of barettes or hair clips that tie it up
or out of the face. The brushing prevents snarles which in turn prevent
breaking hair when unsnarling.

Even if you're trying to grow out your hair, get it trimmed at the ends
every 8-12 weeks.

Most products are the same formula with the differences being found in
the scents and colors.

--Lia

Old May 8th 04, 01:12 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

How long did it take you to get your hair from nape to waist?

Four years, nine months, and three weeks.
I had brain surgery in July 1999. They only shaved part of one side,
but a hairdresser friend buzzed the rest for me. I got lots of
compliments when my hair was only about a cm long. The other side of my
head looked exactly like the curved stitching on a baseball.
It's now down to my waist, and a wire bristle brush is best.
The tumor was benign, and my epilepsy stopped that day.
Liz

Old May 8th 04, 01:26 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you all just bunches, my friends. Your advice is so grand. I had no
idea there were so many long-hairs here and I have realized that I didn't
even know how to comb it. Look out, Cher, Crystal Gayle and Godiva, here we
come. Polly
"Jan" wrote in message
link.net...
I haven't had time to primp in about 2 1/4 years ;-) (the age of my
daughter coincidently...) My favorite deep conditioner is jojoba oil. :-)
Good luck! We love pony tails! You can add a twist for that sophisticated
occasion... for us that's about once every two years! ;-))

--
Jan

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunawayjan

Old May 8th 04, 01:33 PM
Diana Curtis

Suave's lavender isnt the most lavendery smelling, its a bit sweet, but its
nice to pair together with a lavender body wash that some other company
makes. If I could Id go with unscented since it doesnt really have a smell
after its dry anyway.
Bangs in my eyes make me feel sloppy and half blind. Clipping it back
makes me look like a bag lady. *apologies to all bag ladies out there*. A
nice tidy pony tail feels efficient and ready to go to work.
I think we long hairs need to go to Pollys swamp and have a girls night.
We will eat to much chocolate, stay up late doing one another hair and then
do just a little stitching and stash raiding after we wear Polly out. :-)
Diana

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh yes, Diana. Not having bangs in your face is so nice. I'm already
enjoying that. Does Suave really come in lavender scent? Sound lovely.
Polly

Old May 8th 04, 01:50 PM
Diana Curtis

Im honestly not picking on you Heather. You just happened to be the unlucky
one who used my pet peeve phrase first.
Hair is dead. Dead things cannot be healthy or unhealthy. The idea that a
product can give you healthy hair is like expecting a presidential canidate
to keep his campaign promises. What the ads *really* mean is that a product
hopes to give you healthier *looking* hair. Big difference. If you want
truly healthy hair follicles you need parents with good hair genes, to eat
healthily, exersize, keep your head out of excessive sunshine, keep it away
from blow dryers, avoid lots of chemicals. Ta Da.
Rant over.
Diana, :-)

"Heather" wrote ...
and it has helped keep my hair very healthy.

Old May 8th 04, 01:55 PM
Julia in MN

Here's a pattern for an easy-to-make headwrap that will take the excess
moisture out of your hair after shampooing
http://www.perfectlittlestitches.com/headwrap.html. I've made several
for gifts and for myself. They're ideal for long hair and nice for short
hair, too.

I've always had relatively short hair, but a few years ago tried growing
it out. I got it to the point where I could pull it back into a twist
and then had it cut short again. I don't like hair on my face (other
than fairly short bangs) and neck, so I was always pulling it back and
putting a clip on it. After seeing a photo of myself with longer hair, I
decided that long hair actually seemed to age me and is more work, so I
got it cut quite short again. I shampoo it, put some styling gel in the
top, and let it air dry. I have quite fine hair and my hair seems
healthier if I get it cut regularly. I don't do perms or coloring, so
this is really a no-fuss hairdo for me. For a special occasion, I use a
curling iron. My husband likes my hair short, too.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/