OT medicine costs killing me

Old March 27th 04, 10:18 PM
Marie Lewis

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

I, when healthy, am happy to pay for those in a more unfortunate position.

Marie

Polly Esther wrote:

I am so reluctant to ask this since I know you are getting blasted with

spam
from drug dealers - but - our prescription bills are just overwhelming.

Have
any of you dared to order your medicines from Canada? We almost needed

to go
get a tire tool to unlock my jaws when I wrote a check for the drugstore
today.
I mentioned to my precious pharmacist that maybe I needed to go to
Canada. His answer was a surprise. He said, "You could go a long way for
that kind of money."
So. Do any of you in the USA get your prescriptions supplied from

Canada
and are you comfortable with what you're getting and is the $s really

any
better? Please share your thoughts or experience with me. Polly

Old March 27th 04, 10:19 PM
Marie Lewis

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

And what choice does someone in dire need have?

Old March 28th 04, 01:01 AM
Taria

I have a brother who has no health insurance and needed eye
surgery.
He refinanced his home. If he was impoverished perhaps Medical
would have paid. I have a sister who paid for several surgeries
for many years one payment at a time because she had no insurance.
Here in So. Calif. there are lots of folks who hop the border
for medical care. Guess things aren't so bad here if folks are
coming here illegally to get taken care of.
Taria

Old March 28th 04, 01:12 AM
Mary in Oregon

if your physician is part of a large medical center or HMO, sometimes you
can apply for assistance.... I did last year when DH was terminated in a
bankruptcy and we lost our insurance. They wrote off approx. $1000 for me.
Every little bit helps.

--
Mary

Old March 28th 04, 02:09 AM
Denise G.

This subject is very close to my heart. I have run a food pantry for 14
years and the high cost of prescriptions is the reason why so many of
our clients need free food. People shouldn't have to choose between
eating and taking medicines.

It breaks my heart to see the tears on the faces of so many people who
have worked hard all of their lives to raise families and be good
citizens only to have to swallow their pride, go into a strange church,
and ask for food. Happily, after they meet us, they realise that they
won't be judged and help is available.

Driving around my town, you don't see slums or run down areas, and the
$300,000 homes are being built right and left, so most folks don't even
realise what I see every week.

My favorite part of the job is fundraising and talking to "SUITS" (as I
call the business men with money) at their little meetings to inform
them about the invisible poverty in our town. It's a real eye opener
for them to hear that some of their neighbors are in such dire needs.
They just take it for granted that everyone is healthy or has wonderful
health insurance like they do.

After illness and the cost of medications, the next biggest cause of
food pantry use in my town is illiteracy. You should have heard the
reaction when I last spoke to a group of school teachers and told them
that about a third of our clients can't read. I wasn't too popular
after that talk.

Denise in NH

Old March 28th 04, 02:45 AM
Mary in Oregon

Medical insurance was a lifesaver when I had cancer.... each high density
radiation treatment cost $5000......covered 100% by insurance. Often people
don't understand completely unless they have been there. I didn't realize
cancer treatment be it radiation or chemo was so expensive.

--
Mary
"JoyceG in WA" wrote in message
The pills my DH takes for nausea from chemotherapy are $50. Each.

Thankfully
we have good health insurance, and pay less than that per pill.

Chemotherapy
medication in our case runs $15,000-20,000 (US) per dosage. That chemo

can be
administered once/month. I have sat in the chemo lab next to people

talking
about what they can sell/beg/borrow to get their next medical treatment.

You
feel lucky to have insurance while dealing with a life-threatening

illness - I
can't imagine how people cope that don't.

Old March 28th 04, 03:13 AM
Leslie in Missouri

WHOA there!!! I also wear $300 suits and dresses (to church) because I
haunt the thrift shops and catch the doctor's and lawyer's wives cast
offs- which I buy for $2.00. Please don't be so quick to judge....

Leslie- on disability and Medicaid... and damn sure wish I wasn't!!!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old March 28th 04, 03:38 AM
JoyceG in WA

The pills my DH takes for nausea from chemotherapy are $50. Each. Thankfully
we have good health insurance, and pay less than that per pill. Chemotherapy
medication in our case runs $15,000-20,000 (US) per dosage. That chemo can be
administered once/month. I have sat in the chemo lab next to people talking
about what they can sell/beg/borrow to get their next medical treatment. You
feel lucky to have insurance while dealing with a life-threatening illness - I
can't imagine how people cope that don't.

-JoyceG in WA
Kathy in AK said:
This is a VERY delicate subject with me -- Read on.

I am on Social Security Disability - My monthly income is well
less than $___ well... lets just say it's a monthly joke !!!
EVERY medicine that I ever need I have to pay for (cash) unless I can
get samples. Now.. I am not big on meds or chemicals in my body due to
the MCS,
but sometimes they are necessary since I have chronic Pancreatitis and
Spinal Neuropathy amongst other chronic problems... anyway... imagine
the look on my face when the ONLY nausea med. that would keep me from
vomiting from a Pancreatitis spell cost over $900. and that was only
for maybe 2 weeks worth as well as only one of the necessary meds that
I NEEDED.

My Migraine meds (only thing that works) are also VERY expensive...
can be hundredsof dollars per month! I seek samples if and when I can.
The mere thought of this can give me a migraine !!!

So no... it is not easy being caught between a rock and a hard place
like this with chronic health problems and needing meds.

Shall we discuss dental costs next ???

Kathy (in Alaska)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

(take out the "nospam" to reply)
Old March 28th 04, 04:08 AM
JS

My mom went to one of the "Canada RX" shops that we have down here in
Florida. She brought a prescription from her doctor, and was able to
purchase a three month supply of her Celebrex at a considerable discount.
The only downside we saw was that it took a while for the meds to arrive in
the mail, maybe two weeks? Saving over $100 was a good thing for her,
although having to pay for the large supply was a little tough in the short
run. She didn't notice any difference in the medication strength or
quality.

Whenever she is in the Dr's office or at the hospital with my Dad for cancer
follow-ups, she asks for samples. Most of the staff know them, so it isn't
a big deal for her. I would hate to ask for free stuff, but I guess my
feelings would change if I couldn't pay my monthly bills. I even considered
asking my doctor to write a prescription for Celebrex for me, since I have a
great insurance plan. Insurance fraud is just too big of a problem for me
to do that, even for my mom.

HTH,
Jennifer in Florida

nk.net...

Old March 28th 04, 04:19 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Choice? Do without.
Or hope your children/relatives will pitch in to help.
My mom doesn't have a home to mortgage; Medicare pays
for so little of the care she needs, and none of the prescription
drug she needs for rheumatoid arthritis (the idiot's new Medicare Plan
is one of the worst jokes to come out of his office). The state of
Illinois (Texas isn't much better) doesn't help much, either,
because Mom just doesn't qualify as a destitute case.
So I made a deal with Mom: she gets the $$$ for her meds,
I get first choice of the quilts she's hanging on to. That's a choice
we both like. g ( And I'm happy to help.)
Ragmop/Sandy--sick of the fat cats who run the health&prescription drug
industry&this president --and there's no prescription for that, yet... ;-D
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

And what choice does someone in dire need have?

AD: Free for shipping costs...US only lgreene Beads 0 September 9th 04 08:58 PM
"Inspirations" - subscriptions costs, delivery, et al Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 4 March 11th 04 11:19 PM
Costs to start? Susan General Crafting 4 March 1st 04 01:04 PM
cut the costs of redecorating.. here's how modernchef General Crafting 2 December 10th 03 11:31 PM
Load Costs Darryl Lentz Pottery 3 December 8th 03 12:34 PM