alphabet blocks

Old March 21st 04, 07:44 AM
nzl*

sorry i should have put the numbers there

1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6

if my maths are correct, thats 6+4+6+4+6 =26
just fill in the ends of the two rows of 4 with poems perhaps or solids or
space out those two lines with some extra sashings.
i'm sure you'll come up with something real pretty.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
"nzl*" wrote in message
x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x

that works!!
jeanne

http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Mystified One" wrote...
When doing alphabet blocks, I can't make the set of 26 come out even. No
matter how hard I try, I end up with one left or one blank space.

I even tried figuring out how to make the blocks with alternating blocks, no
luck.

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end. They're
redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating blocks that
are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get them to come out
even.

I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how would
you make them come out even?

Old March 22nd 04, 05:46 PM
Dr. Quilter

funny, in spanish there are 27 letters so I guess you could do a 9x3
(though that would be long and skinny). 26 is divisible by 2 and by 13,
but that would be even worse... I don't think it is divisible by
anything else that is useful, uh? that's the problem... I've seen it
done with empty spaces. I have collected theme fabrics to do one of
these or more, but haven't tried it yet (the lack of symmetry troubles
me!) )

Mystified One wrote:

When doing alphabet blocks, I can't make the set of 26 come out even. No
matter how hard I try, I end up with one left or one blank space.

I even tried figuring out how to make the blocks with alternating blocks, no
luck.

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end. They're
redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating blocks that
are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get them to come out
even.

I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how would
you make them come out even?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old March 22nd 04, 05:56 PM
Dr. Quilter

DH suggests addin exclamation & question marks in the extra blocks,
colons & semicolons?

Old March 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
nzl*

1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5 6

Voila!!!!!! 26 blocks, 4 big ends to use for whatever takes u'r fancy.
symmetrical, easily expanded to make it bigger with appropriate sized
sashings between all the blocks plus a border or three, lol.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Dr. Quilter" wrote...

Old March 22nd 04, 10:07 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Aren't there 29 letters in the Spanish alphabet?
ch, ll, ñ in addition to the standard English.
Add something special to one more block to make 30 blocks.
Or stick w/ the usual 26 letters and add 4 special blocks
in the corners. Redwork is easy to do; embroider the extras
w/ names and dates, or do one in a sampler kind of theme,
or ... well, have fun! g
Ragmop/Sandy--I didn't learn much in Spanish but I can count VBG

Old March 23rd 04, 03:21 AM
nzl*

http://spanish.allinfo-about.com/pro...-alphabet.html

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
we don't count ll and ch as letters... I think. I don't remember, but
both Fer and I came up with 27:

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n ñ o p q r s t u v w x y z.

but I am not sure. I wrote it down and had 26, then had to go back and
add the ñ so now I am confused. Cc to DH for confirmation.. .) Been
living here way too long!

my plan is to make a bilingual ABC quilt. maybe reversible. I am
collecting fabrics that can be used for two letters. ej. apple fabric
would be the A in english and the M in spanish for Manzana.

Old March 23rd 04, 04:00 AM
Tracey

I saw one at a quilt show recently that was set 5X5. In the very bottom
right hand corner block, it was split in half with Y and Z both in the same
block.

Old March 23rd 04, 04:02 AM
Tracey

When I had Spanish 101 we learned
a b c d e f g h i j k l ll m n n~ (I don't know how to stick the tilde over
the n) o p q r rr s t u v w x y z

That's 29.

Tracey in CT

Old March 23rd 04, 04:08 AM