Advice needed for finishing quilt

Old February 16th 04, 06:23 PM
Teresa in Colorado

I agree with Marissa. Not everyone has bad divorces.
Sometimes making a quilt for someone you are having a rough time with is
theraputic. I made DD#1 a quilt when she was in middle school. It quite
possibly saved her life - you can't kill someone if you are making a quilt
for them. grin I made DH a quilt during a rocky point in our lives - it
helped me remember the good times and made me more willing to get through
the rough spots.

--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
she did explain in the past that this was not a bitter separation,
guys... I guess not everybody ends up hating each other when they stop
living together, some people might just decide it is not a good idea to
be together any more for X reason. If she feels like finishing the quilt
for him, let's not question her!

Martha in IN wrote:

Mardi,
Gotta say that I'm with Leslie and Polly on this...I just don't get it.
There are lots of people in this world to make quilts for, why an
ex-husband?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old February 16th 04, 06:59 PM
Butterfly

Embroidered hanger in one block and the very BOTTOM block==

where DID that shirt go that WAS on the empty hanger?
In a HEAP at the bottom of the block--I would even have a little free
floating triangle of it hanging from the edge of the block. (no pattern
needed for this block)

Hope this makes sense....

If just the idea of this made someone grin--then this was worth it

Butterfly (and where DO most "dirty clothes go"....)
"georg" wrote in message
Mardi wrote:

So, I really do want to finish this quilt and give it to him. It's
kind of my "going away" gift to him. I gave him up emotionally a year
ago so it's not a painful thing to do.

I understand. I'd like to think I could do the same.

The blocks are charming. I'd want to sash them to avoid the white next
to the white. I'd also not want to lay them out as a diamond. I'd offset
rows of three, and I'd make one block of white near the bottom and
embroider an empty hanger on it- to get the 15 even. Use the extra
hawaiian fabric to make the triangles to even out the rectangle. I'd do
another band of sashing to finish the outside edge, piece Hawaiian
fabric in squares or similar for the border, and bind off with the
sashing fabric.

That's one of the neat things about quilting- everyone's got their own
ides and you can spend a lifetime just exploring one block.

-georg

Old February 16th 04, 07:30 PM
Eli

I would put white fabric between the quilt blocks and then quilt shirts in
those. Maybe use different colors of threads or varigated thread. Kinda
like missing shirts...

As for hanging on point, how would you do that? I have thought of it
myself, but I don't know how it would hang? Would you put eye loops on the
top point and the two side points? You'd have to have your nails pretty
accurate in the wall in order for that to work.

Gina in IL

"cozy" wrote in message
om...
Mardi - I looked at the full size picture that you can click on and found
that the white fabric in the background is delightful! If you don't mind

mostly white quilt, it would be very pretty to set on point with the same
white fabric between the shirt blocks, keeping the emphasis on the cute
shirts. Maybe a border that is made of long thin strips sewn together

and
then rotary cut and resewn so it looks like you have spent years sewing
together 2"strips would look good out of all your shirt materials. Or

if
you don't like the 'white' look, you could use some kind of fabric that
reminded you of the color of the ocean, which always seems to go with
Hawaiin shirts to me. Or you could take a group just like you show of 16
shirt blocks, and make them a unit, with sashing around that set, and make
several sets (I can't tell the size of these blocks, if they are too big

it
couldn't be 16 in each set, maybe just 4). I also thought the squaring

up
each block by sewing a triangle on each side by using the shirt fabric

would
make a nice secondary pattern. Well, you'll have lots of ideas to think
over and try out. I'm sure it will turn out wonderful, whichever way

you
go with it, because you already have such cute blocks to start with.

--
email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape

net

Mardi wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:20:28 -0600 (CST), (Leslie
in Missouri) wrote:

Mardi, I applaud you for being a bigger and better person than I am. I
couldn't/wouldn't do it for him. Period.

Leslie (who had a very generous and amicable divorce and feels that way
any way)

I think this whole thing needs a little explanation as to why I am
completing the quilt for him.

He is really a very good guy. I left him, he didn't leave me. He's
the kind of person who can't deal with anything emotional. So, he
stuffs all his feelings in his "closet". I stuck with him for 15
years thinking that I would be able to help him learn how to share his
thoughts and feelings and how to love himself. I failed, and I
finally decided that if I wanted to have a "rest of the story" I
needed to do it now. I lived with him for over a year pretty much as
a roommate. He was fine with the arrangement, but I wanted so much
more. So I gave him an ultimatum, either he got some therapy to
learn how to deal with his emotions or I would leave and make a new
life for myself. He chose to not get therapy. He doesn't want to
deal with all the painful things he would have to deal with to learn
to love himself.

So, I really do want to finish this quilt and give it to him. It's
kind of my "going away" gift to him. I gave him up emotionally a year
ago so it's not a painful thing to do.

Mardi

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot

com.
____________________

My Quilting page:
http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old February 16th 04, 07:39 PM
Frosty772

Sometimes making a quilt for someone you are having a rough time with is
theraputic.

That is soooo true. My hubby and I are having a rocky time right now and the
quilt that im working on has a lot tears in it and it helps take my mind off
things. When we get throught this I will be able to look at that quilt and do
everything in my power to make sure we never go throught this again. It does
force you sit back and reminice about the good times and when you first started
dating.... If it werent for this quilt I would be a wreck right now.

Old February 16th 04, 07:59 PM
Coleen

Mardi --

I just want to say that I admire you for still wanting to finish the quilt
for him. I don't think I could do it. Hugs.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Mardi" wrote in message
Hi:

My soon to be ex-husband was by yesterday and asked when I was going
to finish the quilt I had started to make for him. Since I do want to
finish it and give it to him, I decided that maybe this will get me
out of my funk and quilting again.

Old February 16th 04, 08:51 PM
Polly Esther

Butterfly, I've been watching this thread with great interest. I enjoyed
trying on in my head everyone's suggestions. It's just fascinating how many
super ways were suggested. But - the little shirts are so dear, I didn't
want anything to detract from them. The empty hangers, and one that hit the
floor is a wonderful idea.
And it is it good to see you here. Feeling a bit better? Polly

Old February 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Butterfly

Not in 'pain' as such at the surgical site.but I get tired sooooooo
quickly--mainly still getting rid of all the 'extra' meds for the surgery
itself--takes me an avg of 6 weeks...and LOTS of water to wash it thru
(normal 2 glasses increases to 6 for me--just the way my bod works ; )
Thanks for asking.

Can't wait to SEE this finished quilt ; )

Butterfly

ink.net...

Old February 16th 04, 09:50 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I have to agree. I always thought I didn't want to quilt "unhappy" into
anything, but decided while I was going through a rough patch, that I'd
never finish my king sized monster if I waited since I'm not sure if
things will work out with BF.

Somehow, I think the quilt will be even more meaningful with good and
bad feelings in it.

I still refuse to quilt unhappy into a baby quilt thought.

Maureen

Old February 16th 04, 10:04 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Wow, my hat is off to you, Mardi!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 17th 04, 01:11 AM
cozy

I'm not sure I didn't miss something.. is this a bed quilt or a hang on the
wall quilt?

--
email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
net

in Missouri) wrote:

[...]

Haunted Christmas Quilt Nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 18th 11 05:04 PM
Bead Advice Needed! Beadbimbo Beads 38 May 19th 04 11:53 PM
Advice on Graphing needed Donna Beads 3 December 22nd 03 06:35 AM
Border advice needed ccsilvania Quilting 12 December 1st 03 03:34 AM
Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed VManes Beads 12 October 1st 03 04:48 PM