Making quilts for relatives

Old February 4th 04, 05:42 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Practice in the mirror - sincere face and slightly apologetic
voice...."I'm terribly sorry, but I don't do commission work." Smile
sweetly and move on. That line has saved me countless times. If you
happen to have a finished quilt or two that you are willing to part with
you can say..."I have these available for sale, but I only sell my
finished pieces that I choose to create, I don't do commission work."

If the person really wants a real piece of hard work quilt I give them
the address of New Pieces - they do commissions and charge what a quilt
is worth - www.newpieces.com then in the body of the home page click on
"quilt service" Part way down the page they list making quilts. The
pricing looks like this...

"If we are making a quilt for you, listed below are some ranges you
should expect to pay. The price is determined by the amount of time it
takes to produce the quilt. The more involved the design the longer it
takes. I will endeavor to work with you and give you options for
keeping costs down. These prices include fabric, batting and thread.

to 45 X 60" $ 500 to $1500
to 70 X 85" $1,000 to $2,000
to 80 X 95" $1,500 to $2,500
to 95 X 100 $2,000 to $3,000
to 100 X 110 $3,000 to $4,000

It is next to impossible to give a range for finishing quilts until we
see the quilt. "

If the person just wants something cute with that patchwork look send
them to the department store. They will be happy to get the look they
want at the price they want to spend.

DO NOT get suckered into doing something you don't want to spend you
time doing. Otherwise, in a few months you will be posting one of those
messages we see far too often here about how you slaved away making this
stupid quilt and "A" - it's now being used as a dog blanket "B" - you
spent far too much time and effort for the piddly amount of money you
made "C" - they didn't hardly thank you if at all and begrudged giving
you the check "D" - they told you the quilt was an awfully lot of money
compared to this great quilt they saw at Wal-Mart for only $30 and that
one came with pillow shams.

Just don't do that to yourself.

marcella

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 4th 04, 05:54 PM
Pati Cook

There are a couple of quilt shops here that sell finished quilts on
consignment or something. I usually refer people there if they want to
buy a quilt.
On the other hand, I haven't yet had people really ask for a quilt. Some
have hinted strongly that they really, really like certain ones I have
made, but they also know the time and costs involved.

Not much help I'm afraid,

Pati, in Phx

Old February 4th 04, 06:26 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
First: Very Big Grin !!!!

This happens far too often in my quilting life, someone wants to
place an order. Do I look like a drive-thru' quilting (burger) shop?
Do you see a button to push to speak into this clown's mouth?
No--I do not offer to Biggie Size it, either! ;-D

2 days ago, the lady across the street came over (only when she
wants something) to see if I would be around to watch out for her
84-yr.old mother "in case she gets scared now she's living w/ me and
doesn't know the neighborhood"--and I politely and quickly (I'm not
as dumm as I look/act) said, "I'm not home a lot of the time, but if I
am, I'll talk to her." Hmmm...not home? ME!??! The very idea!--
dear woman was not happy to hear that. (I am not offering to babysit
her mother; my choice.) So she looks around my front room and spies
the quilts and says, "OH! Are you still making quilts? My daughter is
pregnant: how much would you charge me to make a baby quilt?"
And I quickly responded (I've been here before), "I'd start at $100
and go from there." "THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY!" she exclaimed.
"Not for me; I'm a professional; I get paid for my work," I said w/ a
warm smile. And I do. ;-D

Here's the deal, Pat: you can explain about the Real Quilt you could make
for a decent price, and you can explain about the quilts (w/ a smaller "q"
than
that) which can be purchased at the discount store, and hope your relative
understands the significance. Or just say "no." You can set a fair/decent
price IF you REALLY WANT to make a quilt for said relative.
There is nothing wrong with putting a value on your work.
If you don't show proper respect and value for your work, who will?
If that relative doesn't "get it", no loss on your part.
Some people do appreciate fine Quilts; that's what I get paid for. G

I have suggested that people check w/ local quilt shops and/or wait for
the next local quilt show and check out the vendors.
There are several regular vendors who sell some wonderful quilts
at our local shows.
The next Big Quilt Show is in Dallas next month;
I've already recommended my favorite vendors to
a friend who "needs" a quilt by April 1.
And she'll like the show, too. ;-)

Good luck. Let us know how this little saga plays out.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old February 4th 04, 07:19 PM
Taria

I was hoping you were more Pizza Hut. When you make my quilt
Sandy I would like it delivered too VBG
Taria

Old February 4th 04, 07:31 PM
Piglet

The correct answer:

"Yep, and if you were a real friend, you'd buy me a Mercedes. Guess we'll
have to settle for being unreal friends, huh?"

Lol

--pig

On 2/4/04 7:35 AM, ekoluvr opined:

I have a friend who keps
telling me that if I was a *real* friend I would make her a DWR quilt!

Old February 4th 04, 07:35 PM
Piglet

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/NSversion.shtml

Gives her some clues about prices---tell her "if you want looks pretty,
doesn't cost much, then yeah, you'll be happier with Wal-Mart. If you want
quality, check out this place." And give her a whole spiel about how
they're probably faster and "better" than you (maybe not, but you can
fibg), and certainly no *cheaper* than you......

--pig

On 2/4/04 6:10 AM, opined:

Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

Old February 4th 04, 07:44 PM
Piglet

Even when I'm choosing to do a quilt as a gift, and often the "giftee" is
aware of it, I do make it clear that these are my works of art, and the only
input you get is what I give you: what colors do you like? And maybe, what
style are you decorating in? (modern, country, eclectic, etc.) The pattern,
fabric, etc. choices are mine.....

Now I might choose to aim in a particular direction if I know they have a
particular bent---one wedding quilt in the planning stages is for a couple
who are such Star Wars nuts they're even contemplating a Star Wars wedding.
So there might just be some space-ish fabric involved.....or not, given that
their colors are green, purple and black.

I've had one friend drop hints over time that she'd *really* like a
Baltimore Album quilt. I tell her lots of folks would like a Baltimore
Album quilt.g

--pig

On 2/4/04 10:42 AM, opined:

Old February 4th 04, 07:47 PM
Piglet

Well, don't forget that there are a lot of people who just don't have a
clue---they don't know the difference, but would see and appreciate it with
teaching.

But sometimes the best way to teach is subtly----have them go out and get
and live with a Wallyworld quilt. Then let them see what quiltmakers do.

If they say "wow, that's a whole lot different/better", you know who you
have. If they say "I can get the same thing at Target for a lot less than
you spent on the fabric, what a waste you have here", then you also know who
you have. g

--pig

On 2/4/04 8:55 AM, opined:

Anyone who thinks Target or Walmart are an ok place
to buy quilts probably wouldn't appreciate the work
of hand made quilt.

Old February 4th 04, 08:20 PM
Eli

It depends on how close of a family member they are.

I know this is going to sound bad, but what I do is make quilts that I want
to make. Then when my MIL or DS or whomever sees one I'm working on and
they mention that they like it, I give it to them when I'm done.

I find it's too much pressure to make a quilt to someone else's
expectations - whether it be color or pattern or whatever.

Gina in IL

Old February 4th 04, 08:34 PM
Taria

Timing can be everything when you are dealing with people
who hand craft. I look back and there are babies who I
made a lot of stuff for. It was periods when I had time
or inspiration. Others I just didn't have time. When taking
an heirloom sewing class I did several pretty pieces of
work as gifts. My dad was a carpenter. He was often home
in rainy season which also happened to be near my birthday.
I have several very special pieces he made for me. I think
part of it was time and part of it lack of funds for presents.
Mom always said I was always the one that asked! (heck it
works for LN too) Maybe because of all the sewing I did
around the house he knew I appreciated all the work he put
in too.
Taria

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 02:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM