Making quilts for relatives

Old February 9th 04, 10:23 PM
Shelly

I think what Karlee was trying to get across to those of you that don't want
to be bothered with "begging" family members is to price high and keep your
fingers crossed that the little trick works. They'll usually refuse the
price time and time again and if they don't, that's fine too!!! You'll
surely make a tidy profit for your work and maybe for once be paid what your
time is actually worth.

Shelly
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
How much to charge for quilts is an issue that comes up constantly, and
I am always amazed at the prices quoted. While I agree that we should
not underestimate our work, I wouldn't dream of charging 800 bucks for a
baby quilt.... of course I don't make quilts to be sold, I either keep
them or give them away as gifts, but for me that would be the price for
a smallish artsy quilt, not one of my own creations!

How much do baby sized hand-quilted mennonite or amish quilts go for? I
would look at those, compare my workmanship with theirs and go down from
there, eg. if it is machine quilted, etc.

I can see a beautiful art quilt made by a good artist (not me! ) go
for a couple thousand dollars, even several thousand, but that is a
different category, not comparable to what I make.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that not all quilts are worth
thousands of dollars, only the really good ones and I would not dream of
inlcuding mine in that category. And I am not being humble, I know what
I can do, I know that there are small mistakes that maybe only I can
see, etc. etc.... Am I completely off track here? Are we going in the
opposite direction, from 'not valuing our work' to assuming everything
we make, regardless of quality, is worth a lot?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old February 9th 04, 10:37 PM
Shelly

Gently snipped
(But I am also fast, long story there..... G
basically I can make a man's shirt in about 3 hours, that includes matching
patterns and such.)

If each of you will send me a finished quilt...........I'll tell you all of
her secrets and just how she gets those shirts so fast! hehe

Shelly

Old February 11th 04, 01:39 AM
rjwhite6

Since this is not a binary group, I can't attach my Excel spreadsheet
but here's my method.
It accounts for materials and markup.
It simplistically accounts for time by assigning a price per piece
(patch). Just to touch a piece takes a certain amount of time no
matter what it's size.

It does not include design time or meeting with a client.
The per piece price could include simple meander quilting for example.
I have another method for pricing quilting.

It does not yet account for complexity like set in seams or curved
seams vs straight seams.

It looks wicked here, but once you have it in a spreadsheet, no more
pain.

Here goes:
materials = (L x W x 3 x FP x MK)/(36 x 40)

where L= finished Length, W= finished Width, 3 is three layers of a
quilt, FP= price of quilt top fabric, MK=markup you want on materials,
36 is length of a yard (DUH), and 40 is the safe usable width of
fabric.

64 x 85 quilt, $8 ( for example) per yard for good quilt top fabric,
50% ((that's 1.5) for example) markup gives
$136 for materials.

Labor (no quilting):
1437 pieces (for example) x $0.60 per piece (adjust this for your
liking) gives $862 for labor

Total: $136 + $862= $998

same size quilt but only 406 pieces:
piece price is still $0.60
materials total is still $136
but labor is now $244 so total is $380
Quite a difference!

Hope this doesn't give anyone a headache.
Old February 11th 04, 03:52 AM
JG

It makes a lot of sense to me. It takes into account compexity (number of
seams), not just finished size. Thanks for posting this.
--
Ginger

news

Old February 11th 04, 08:54 AM
Patti

Hullo Ron
(Good to see you again!)
This is great - no arbitrariness here; and something which can be used
completely objectively. I cannot think that I would make a quilt on
commission (though I did once), but I have printed out this answer to
keep for reference.
Thanks very much for setting it out.
..
In article , rjwhite6
writes
snipped a bit

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 02:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM