Need to introduce myself

Old January 11th 04, 03:28 AM
Two x over

what an awsome son you have! (and, you are one cool mom!)

close friends of ours have a son who is autistic-chris is 8. he is just now
starting to string words together....but, as far as the tactile sense of
fabric...we can relate! chris loves cotton balls...feeling the cotton ball
seems to soothe him in a way that nothing else will.
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old January 11th 04, 09:45 AM
Sharon Harper

Welcome to the bestest group in the world!!!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"CabnNThWoods" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile and finally asked a couple of

questions in
the past few days. Thank you all for being so kind and friendly. I

wanted to
introduce myself, and explain my odd quilting questions.

I kind of got into quilting by accident. My little guy is 13 and

has
autism. To put it in a nutshell (not going to generalize people who have
autism, just trying to explain our particular situation) he has an

incredible
gift with color and design. In his particular case, he has done some

amazing
artwork ( which has been printed in a design contest and made into

greeting
cards and postcards), but it hasn't engaged him. He is fully included in
school, and learned how to sew a little over a year ago.

Fabric fascinates him. The color, the textures, the infinite
combinations. He is totally engaged (and those who have kids who have dis

will
understand this) with the total tactile experience of creating with

fabric. He
decided that he wanted to quilt, so we learned together (I'm a

medium-grade
sewer).

We started with ragged-edge quilts. Made a beautiful bunch for family

and
friends for xmas presents. Have pics if anyone is interested.

About 6-7 months ago, and I'm really not sure where he saw this/what

program
he was watching, but it was a program about the homeless. He started

worrying
about all the people who didn't have beds or "moms and dads to tuck them

in".
So since then, we've been making quilts for our local homeless

healthcare
outreach center (where medics go into the field to offer medical services,
socks, blankets, etc). We took a page from the "Ugly Quilt" project back

east.

We've gotten donations of supplies from our local rotary, as well as

from
my little guy's teachers, and have completed 14 quilts so far.

Although we've been active in creating sturdy, washable quilts, my

little
guy is still fighting to find an artistic outlet in quilt design, and I'm
trying to help him.

Thank you all for your kindness. Please forgive my odd questions here

and
there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your friendly natures.

Kindest regards,
Cabn

Old January 12th 04, 12:10 AM
Shona in NZ

Welcome Cabn,

Those are some wonderful quilts!

Shona who used to live in the mountains and still misses them sometimes in
NZ
Subject: Need to introduce myself
From: "nzl*"
Date: 1/9/04 11:26 PM Mountain Standard Time
yea, what cozy said.
we looooooove pix round here.
please please please
jeanne

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. :-)

This is a multimedia piece my son did when he was 9. I think this is when

he
started getting a "thing" for fabric. LOL It's called "My Backyard" (we

live
in the mountains).

http://members.aol.com/hugyourkidz/mtns.jpg

This is one of our earliest quilts. We made it for his aunt for Xmas.

Like I
said, we've been mainly creating ragged-edge quilts, but are ready to step

into
something a little more difficult.

http://members.aol.com/hugyourkidz/daff.jpg

Regards,

Cabn

Old January 12th 04, 01:09 AM
Sarah Curry

And another quick request, folks (as I wend my way around, again very
much a newbie). Don't forget to sign your posts! Kinda hard for even
an "oldie" to figure out who's saying what, from time to time!

Oh, and one more (I'm just FULL of requests, tonight, aren't I? :-) ):
mebbe include the link to what you just looked at?

Grins,

Sairey in Las Cruces NM (who WILL figure this out, sooner or later ...
or not ... :-) )

cozy wrote:

oh, I see now - thanks, great creative process!

From: "cozy" cape
Date: 1/10/04 10:59 AM Mountain Standard Time
that is so cool! Can you explain what 'a multimedia piece' means?

Sure. I can't exactly call it a "painting" because it's been created with

lot of different componants. Paints, markers, fabric, etc. It was

displayed

under the category of "multi-media".

Old January 12th 04, 01:11 AM
Sarah Curry

And WOW!

GREAT fun! (and thanks for the link, Shona!)

Grins,

Sairey in Las Cruces, NM (and again, more welcomes, Cabn)

Old January 12th 04, 02:02 PM
frood

She's back for 2 seconds and already bossin' folks around. Too bad the name
Miss Bossy Mouth is taken. ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old January 12th 04, 03:08 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:02:40 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

She's back for 2 seconds and already bossin' folks around. Too bad the name
Miss Bossy Mouth is taken. ;-)

--

It is? by who?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK
Old January 12th 04, 03:17 PM
frood

SandySmth was called Miss Bossy Mouth by a passing troll, and she liked the
insult so much, she kept it!

Old January 12th 04, 08:48 PM
Lynne Van

Just wanted to say hi, and to comment on your lovely note. I
love the idea that your son has found a way to express his
creativity through quilting and playing with fabric. I know
just how he feels!

Also, over the years we have had several members of this group
who have children who are "differently abled". I have found
every one of those Moms to be exceptional people, as I am sure
you will prove to ne.

Welcome,finally.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto