OT - what's your favourite Christmas Food/recipe

Old December 17th 03, 02:47 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Janner
writes
What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

All of it - Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, all home-made
with home-made mincemeat, brandy butter, sherry, cheesey sausage rolls,
cold turkey and stuffing sandwiches, Stilton, port, trifle, mulled wine,
Cadbury's Roses, and chocolate tree decorations, nuts in shells, and
throwing the shells on the fire when you're done. I could gladly do
Christmas without the gifts, but I'd find it hard to do without the
food!
--
Mel Rimmer
Old December 17th 03, 02:53 PM
Taria

That's a nice story Alice. It's nice to hear you have the
vase this year.
Taria

AliceW wrote:

Christmas brings back memories of a fruit tree my mom used to build. It had
fresh tangerines (the only time we got them) and oranges and apples and
bananas. And the bowl of mixed nuts and plates of pfernuise cookies - I'm
still addicted to those, but only the ones from Entemann. We had a big
dinner with a beautiful centerpiece made of celery and other edibles in a
crystal vase that was my grandmothers. Didn't have a lot of money then, so
my mother was very creative with decorations that could be eaten later.
Nothing wasted. My sister and I used to fight over who got the center of
the celery, you know, the "little trees". My mom gave me that crystal vase
during my last visit to Florida. Guess what will be on my Christmas table
this year!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Janner" wrote in message
What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve!

So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond

Boxing
Day!

--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going

on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---

Old December 17th 03, 03:05 PM
Karlee in Kansas

I'll have to get the recipe from my mom, but my favorite Christmas food are
those little orange balls that have been rolled in coconut. I don't know
what they are called, but I always eat too many of them.

My favorite tradition is going to mom and dads house on Christmas eve,
going to the midnight service at church, waiting till the kids go to sleep,
stuff the stockings, and get up before dawn to open presents while we
listen to moms Christmas tapes (I hated them as a kid, but now I love
them). For brunch we have coffee cake and egg casserole. Every other year
we make the trek on Christmas day to my aunts house to have the whole lot
of us get together and open presents and have a feast, a feast that
resembles our thanksgiving meal. Then we snooze in front of the TV while
we try to keep our eyelids open while we watch a football game on TV. On
the alternate years we still go to my aunts house, but not on Christmas
day, normally a few days after, but we still have the feast, the presents,
and the football game.

Christmas is my favorite holiday, and our decorations normally go up within
the first week of December, and don't come down until around the first
weekend in January. Getting me to take the tree down is harder than
getting me to go to the dentist, which I might add, is a battle in itself.

Hugs
Karlee in Kansas

Old December 17th 03, 07:48 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Janner" wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

When my DDs were very young, I joined a book club that sent out recipes
and an Advent calendar from a different country every year. We did our
best to recreate the traditional dinners from most of those book club
selections, and it was wonderful! I no longer do that, but we have
favorite recipes still from those dinners. Unfortunately, I no longer
get to say what the menu will be or to help prepare it, so the memory
will have to do. However, I still bake up a storm every year with
several kinds of cookies and pastries, as well as some peanut brittle
and fruitcake. Breakfast is still scrambled eggs with a
Scandinavian-style cardomom bread with candied fruit and golden raisins
in it. Yum!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old December 17th 03, 09:35 PM
Kate Dicey

Janner wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

My favourite recipes are on my web page in the Christmas sections.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 17th 03, 10:16 PM
Judy Kerr

We only ever got oranges at Christmas. We didn't have a lot of money either
and in the middle of Canada in the '60s oranges were expensive!

Must -have Xmas food? Fruitcake! We liked it so much we had it all year
round in those days (in fact we called it "Oma's Cake" because my German
grandmother was so fond of it) but now I tend to stick to Christmas time.

Favourite tradition? Don't really have any family traditions... Just
eating!!!

Judy in UK

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old December 17th 03, 10:34 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Cornbread dressing/stuffing.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old December 17th 03, 10:40 PM
Lisa Ellis

Janner wrote:
What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Dh always gives me chocolate and cofee beans in my stocking...this my
favorite food related tradition because no work on my part is required,
unlike baking...

lisae

Old December 18th 03, 12:27 AM
M. Wetmore

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Janner"
wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

I love the old fashioned Christmas candies, which I can't find
anywhere anymore. Candy like Chocolate Straws, Ribbon Candy, the hard
candies that look like Fimo Dough cutouts, etc. I did find Chocolate
Straws on the internet, but shipping is so high it doesn't make it
practical to buy any. But...maybe I'll do it anyway!

Then, there's always Chocolate Covered Cherries, the kind with the
liquid centers. Yum!

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old December 18th 03, 12:31 AM
M. Wetmore

wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

Oh...I forgot. Stollen. I make stollen every Christmas season and
still love it as much as I did when I was a kid. I had forgotten
about making it this year. I'm having a hard time getting in the
spirit of things. Maybe making stollen will help!