Question for all new Mommies

Old November 11th 03, 10:28 PM
Keith and Michelle

Things I love for my baby and/or wish I'd received at my shower...

-My Diaper Genie. I have two, just because they are so convenient.
-Even if she's breast feeding, a good set of bottle is handy, in case
she decides to express or use the occasional formula bottle.
-SOCKS! My DD goes through socks like crazy. She is already wearing
12-18 month socks at age 9 mos.
-bigger clothes. I know newborn stuff is cute, but what if she/they
deliver 10 pounders? Aim for 9 mos and up.
-a basket of baby goodies. My cousin gave me this beautiful wicker
basket filled with every baby product out there. Helps to have
everything on hand.
-car mirror. It's this mirror that sticks to the rear window by a
suction cup and lets you see the baby in her rear facing seat.
-ROBEEZ. These are special leather shoes that baby can't take off.
They come in so many cute designs and you can get them here
http://www.robeez.com
NAIAW, just a happy repeat customer.
-fitted crib sheets, for when those diapers leak overnight.
-babyproofing kit, great to have before you need it. Cupboard latches,
doorknob covers, plug covers, etc.
-pacifier thermometer, by Vicks. It's a thermometer shgaped like a
pacifier/soother/dummy/whatever you call it (it's a dumtit here in
Newfoundland) which allows you to take baby's temperature with a
minimum of fuss. Much cheaper thant he ear one although it's also
slower.
-Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the crib. It really works to soothe DD
back to sleep.

As for bibs, yes I would agree. The bigger the better. There are some
out on the market that even have arms! As for spit up, DD never
dirtied a burping pad; it always skipped right by and landed on the
floor.

Well, I guess that's a good start. HTH!
Michelle in Gander

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message ...
Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what items you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

Old November 11th 03, 11:00 PM
Karlee in Kansas

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
| *Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's
|
| is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just
easier
| to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

IMHO yes it is. Bars are too slippery and awkward, lots easier to take two
squirts off of the pump with one hand than manhandle a slippery screaming
baby whilst trying to rub them with a bar of soap.

| also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so
much
| more!

I don't use dreft. I break out into a rash, and I'm afraid that DD will
too....we use surf.

| And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better
than
| the oily form?

I use baby oil, but not on the kids...just on me. I put it in my bath
water and I also use it in place of shaving cream. I have tons of uses for
baby oil/skin so soft and very few of them are uses for the kids.

--
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

Old November 11th 03, 11:04 PM
Keith and Michelle

I'm not Karlee, but as a new mom...
Liquid soap is definitely easier to deal with than bar. It's harder to
drop the soap ;-)

I guess Dreft is just special baby detergeant? I tried Ivory Snow and
Purex Baby Soft for the first few washes. They are supposed to be
softer/milder on baby's skin. After that, I washed a few pieces in the
regular detergeant that I use (at the time it was ABC powder, now it's
Gain liquid) and checked for a skin reaction. There was none, so I was
good to go.

I've used baby lotion, and gel baby oil, for moisturizing. When it
gets dry here, DD's skin looks like it's covered in pimples. Gel oil
is easier to deal with than regular oil.

BTW, a good bath soap for when baby has the sniffles is the menthol
stuff from Johnson's. The whole family uses it. It's like bathing in
mild Vaporub, your nose is all clear for a little bit after.

Old November 11th 03, 11:12 PM
Diana Curtis

A note about the Robeez... great shoes.. I LOVED them for Meg, but the
elastic was tight around the ankle so I lengthened it. Meg loved them too
and was not able to take them off.
They are a Canadian company, so when DH ordered them he asked if he could
pay the Canadian price if he had them shipped to his sister in NB, and they
were happy to let him do that with a credit card. Sister later shipped them
to us, saving us a bit of money.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
m...

Old November 11th 03, 11:27 PM
Kellie J. Berger

okay... i didn't give a very good explaination.... it is what my mum calls a
"binky tether"
um...
take maybe a 4.5" to 5" strip of 1/2" wide soft cotton webbing (like ribbon
but stronger)
fold each end over wide enough to accomodate a snap and baste down. One end
stitch folded/basted part securely to bib 5" below shoulder and about 1/2
the distance btwn bib's vertical center and the end of the baby's
shoulder... (if you drew a line from the edge of the baby's cheek down to
his/her hip it would fall on that line or near it)
the other end, stitch the fold securely down. Add snap parts to each end.

this one is a big bib and has an applique of a house on it. It came with
plastic keys for the baby to play with /teeth on. I used the binkies with
a loop on the end of them and it worked nicely to let the babes use the
binky/spit it out w/o having a long tether that i was afraid would choke
them or pinch them with it's clip.

if that's as clear as mud, tell me and i'll try to get a picture up. It
really should be easier than i have made it seem!

Kellie
oh... and there is something else i loved! a plastic basket that you can
put bottle nipples in the top and the lids in the bottom and they don't fly
all over the place in the dishwasher! I still use it for cake decorating
stuff and medicine cups and all sorts of little things!

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
Yes, i am making the receiving blanket and bib and burp towel as a gift.
And I want to use velcro to keep the bib on, make it very large, and I can
make the pocket to catch food, but i cant visualize the loop thing that
holds a passifier. can you describe it more, or show me a picture, or
something? thanks so much!

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
. com...
are you making the bibs? 2 features i found helpful in 2 seperate bibs

my
kids had.....
one had a little loop that snapped a the end to hold a
binky/passy/chewtoy..... that proved VERY helpful!

Old November 11th 03, 11:29 PM
Kellie J. Berger

baby oil was only good for getting cradle cap off the kiddos... but my
youngest broke out in a rash when i used it on her! I doubt if i ever used
more than the trial size container i got from the hospital!

Kellie

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
QuiltShopHopper wrote:

*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just

easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so

much
more!
And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better

than
the oily form?

Cyndi

A squish of baby bath in the water is easier than skiddling with
slippery soap.

Dreft is a horrible price: use anything non biological that you can all
tolerate. I used Persil original big box non bio, and still do.

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling? Can't help with that one as
we still have the unopened only bottle I ever got... 9 years later!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old November 11th 03, 11:41 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

A gift I loved (and now make for new babies) is a 45 x 45 ish piece of
plisse. I use my serger to make a rolled hem, round the corners a bit
and include a note about how it is a screen, light covering, pirate
hat, doll blanket, superhero cape and more.
One friend bought fabric so I would make some as a gift for one of her
relatives...

Mary
Old November 12th 03, 12:11 AM
QuiltShopHopper

The 100 ounce liquid is under $8 right now at Walmart.

Old November 12th 03, 12:34 AM
Jan Dunaway

I just use the all free and clear that has no dyes or fragrance. DD has
VERY sensitive skin and this is what works. Oxiclean helps on spit up
and did not irritate her skin. I never used baby oil or baby powder.
In the end I started using cetaphil on her skin instead of baby soap due
to allergies.

Jan