Question for all new Mommies

Old November 11th 03, 08:31 PM
AlenasMom

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
news
Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what items

you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there

anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't

those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies

can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby

and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

Oh Goddess! I'd die without my sling. Screw everything else but that!
You can even make one for her if you want. If you'd rather find one that it
premade check out www.mayawrap.com (Get the sling and not the pouch if you
go this route... much better!!!!)
We use cloth, and a good diaper pail with some homemade deo disks are
awesome. (If you want the recipe for this, just ask.)

Old November 11th 03, 08:49 PM
Lenore Lawrence

The bib doesn't have to be the size of Kansas for a newborn......I always
used a rag. I would have liked to have about a half dozen flannel cloths
about the size of a hand towel. Those would have been wonderfully
useful--those old raggedy diapers never did look too swell.

I loved the kind of bibs that pulled over the kid's head--like made out of a
hand towel. Maybe the size of New Jersey. They were terry and worked
GREAT!

Others?????

Lenore in Lakewood

Old November 11th 03, 08:56 PM
QuiltShopHopper

*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so much
more!
And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better than
the oily form?

Cyndi

Old November 11th 03, 09:02 PM
QuiltShopHopper

Yes, i am making the receiving blanket and bib and burp towel as a gift.
And I want to use velcro to keep the bib on, make it very large, and I can
make the pocket to catch food, but i cant visualize the loop thing that
holds a passifier. can you describe it more, or show me a picture, or
something? thanks so much!

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
. com...
are you making the bibs? 2 features i found helpful in 2 seperate bibs my
kids had.....
one had a little loop that snapped a the end to hold a
binky/passy/chewtoy..... that proved VERY helpful!

Old November 11th 03, 09:04 PM
Valkyrie

One of the must have gifts I give to new or about to be mommies is a baby
hot water bottle. I got one at my baby shower it turned out to be a god
send. It calms fussy babies, soothes gassy tummies and snuggled up against
their backs will put them right to sleep. Good for little ear aches too. The
last two showers I went to I couldn't find the little hot water bottles
anywhere so I made microwave rice bags in the shape of a teddy bear (two
piece pattern) and a frog and also one about the size of a half sheet of
paper and made a fleece cover for it. All the mommies have loved them so
far.

Val

Old November 11th 03, 10:30 PM
Butterfly

I have to use Dreft. Yes, it is more expensive in the grocery stores---I
found it for $9.00 at Target--and I hardly ever go there. So now Target
will be on the store list when I need it--also found that the Twizzlers
Cherry and Black licorice is less expensive there too : )
HTH
Butterfly

Old November 11th 03, 10:43 PM
Kate Dicey

QuiltShopHopper wrote:

*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so much
more!
And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better than
the oily form?

Cyndi

A squish of baby bath in the water is easier than skiddling with
slippery soap.

Dreft is a horrible price: use anything non biological that you can all
tolerate. I used Persil original big box non bio, and still do.

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling? Can't help with that one as
we still have the unopened only bottle I ever got... 9 years later!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 11th 03, 10:44 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "QuiltShopHopper"

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap?

DD says YES with great emphasis -- LOL!! Little Raechel *loves* to
have a bath and the best part is having mommy wipe the nice slippery soap all
over her. She giggles and laughs and splashes her arms and legs! DD said she
ran out of the baby wash and used bar soap and it just wasn't the same for the
baby!

is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other?

Another resounding YES on this one. Newborns have such sensitive
skin that just about *anything* can irritate it! When I got all the stuff for
the baby at the garage sale, I made sure I rinsed it about three times to make
sure all the soap was out because all I had was Tide! Raechel must have
*really* sensative skin because DD can't use dryer sheets or *any* type of
fabric softener in the baby's wash. The kiddo always gets a funky rash from
it!
You have gotten loads of great ideas from everyone *except* for what DD
thinks is THE best thing every!!! It's one of those Shopping Cart seat covers!
They are horrendously expensive if you buy them in the store and are
unbelievably easy to make! I bought a pattern online and made one for the baby
in just a few hours. think about taking a little one to the grocery store and
plonking her in that cart. What's the first thing the kid will do??? Yep --
try to eat the handle and anything else she can get in her mouth! YUCK -- all
theose nasty germs!!! Now I am not a germ fanatic but letting a little one put
her mouth on the handle of a grocery cart is wayyyyyy to gross for me!!! So,
my additional recommendation is for you to make -- IF POSSIBLE -- one of the
shopping cart seat covers! It does take about 2 1/2 yards of fabric but it can
be el cheapo fabric so that doesn't have to be a big expense. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old November 11th 03, 10:50 PM
Julia in MN

If you are making bibs, consider Velcro closings. Also consider putting
the closing toward the front on one side of the neck rather than in the
center back. My grandkids have some like that and it seems to me that it
is easier to fasten than those that fasten in the center back.

My kids also had bibs with sleeves; I really liked those -- kept their
little shirts out of the food.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 11th 03, 10:51 PM
Diana In Dallas

Dreft gave our new grandbaby a rash so DD is using
liquid All baby formula.
Diana in Dallas
(Grandma for twelve days )
"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...