About Us

Old October 17th 03, 02:11 AM
Shstringfellow

Name: Sue

Home: Indiana

Occupation: Media Technician

Age: 48

Past Lives: Retail, Factory, Nursing home

Family: DH, 2 DDs, 3 DGDs, 2 DSILs, DMIL

Food: Anything but eggplant

QI's: Shorty- 14 yr. old mutt, Snoopy- 6 yr. old Black shorthair cat

Machine(s): Baby Lock, Bernina 125, Brother 180D embroidery machine, Singer

serger

Quilting For: About 20 years, in between knitting, crocheting, sewing

garments, and every kind of embroidery!

Quilt Assembly Preference: Rotary cut, machine pieced

Quilt Style Preference: Traditional piecework done in nontraditional ways.

Colour Preference: All of them!

Skill level: Medium

Posting/Reading frequency: At least daily

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.:Reading, cooking, friends

Pet Peeves: People who don't pick up after themselves

TV Shows: Monk, Law and Order(all of them!), CSI (all of them!), Cold Case.

Drive A: 1996 GMC Yukon

Favorite Quote: We have met the enemy and he is us

SueS
Old October 17th 03, 02:54 AM
Martha in IN

Hope I'm not too late answering this post....I'm kinda slow sometimes.

Name: Martha Heath (Martha in IN)

Home: Terre Haute, IN

Occupation: Retired

Age: 63

Past Lives: Middle School Counselor, Elementary Counselor, Special Ed.
teacher...before that, too long ago to matter much. Went back to college
when I was 36, took exactly 20 years from high school graduation to college
graduation.

Family: DH who is just the best! married 28 years (he is husband # 2): first
one up and died on me at age 36...bad, really bad. Larry (DH) wanted to
marry me BECAUSE (well one reason) I had three kids! Can you believe it? DS
#1 and DIL=3 grandchildren; DS #2...great guy, but not married; DD and DSIL,
no grands, but love'em anyway. DH's kid: DS and DDIL with 2 grands; DS and
DDIL no grands, but they sure are working on it.

Food: Not too many things I don't like; right now we are on the "South Beach
Diet" so one of my very favorites (pasta) has been off-limits!

QI's: Laverne and Shirley, litter mates, 7 year old cats, who think they are
in charge.

Machine: Viking #1+ and Pfaff 1471

Quilting: About 2 1/2 years...have been sewing for many, many years. After
retiring, I just kept on sewing and finally realized that I didn't need
those clothes I was making. Decided to make a quilt for one of the grandkids
and haven't looked back since.

Quilt assembly: machine, machine, machine...if I can't do it by machine, I
probably won't do it.

Style preference: not really sure, guess I like traditional and a more
geometric look than any other.

Color Preference: Like most colors in the right setting, but not too turned
on by the "Autumn" colors. I just realized that pretty recently. I look at
those quilts in the magazines and find myself thinking, "Hmmm, wonder what
other colors I could use."

Skill level: Confidant beginner

Post/ reading frequency: Read daily when at home...love you guys; post when
I feel I have something to add to the discussion, which isn't too often.

Interests: Reading, mostly only mysteries or quilt books G Love a really
good mystery, actually they don't even have to be that good, I read 'em
anyway. Don't watch much TV, except the Today show every morning.

Drive: 2003 Mini Cooper named Baby.

Old October 17th 03, 03:17 AM
AliceW

Ok, my turn.

Name: Alice, aka, AliceW or Alice in NJ

Home: Lumberton, NJ

Occupation: Manager of Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs for a fairly
new startup biotech company. Big title for a company that has 12 employees!

Age: Soon to be 56 on 11-26. Presents can be sent to the addy in the
directory!

Past Lives: Toll taker at a state park, cashier, in some sort of QA position
ever since.

Family: Happily married for almost 13 years now (as of 11-11-03 - for
presents, see "Age"), together for 15. Have DS, 32 in Florida, soon to give
me a DIL on 11-8; DD, 31 in Baltimore; my DH shares his DD, 20 and DS, 17
with me as well. Sweeties all! My mom, 85, lives in Florida and keeps me
hopping! FIL lives nearby and we see him frequently. All of my DHs family
live within 20 of each other. I have a sister nearby, but a brother in
Houston and another in VA Beach. Have a trip planned to see my brother in
Houston - say next October????!! Perhaps he can find a quilt show I can
visit while there.

Food: I prefer "people events with food present" over "food events with
people present". Just lost 42 pounds, eating right and loving it! But I do
love any kind of chocolate as long as it's dark. And the occasional jelly
doughnut.

QIs: Paisley, who will be 13 the day after my birthday (see "Age" for
details), a sweet-faced Wes; Kirby, a wild, Wes, who just turned 8 months
old and is fondly called "the devil dog"! He brought Paisley back from the
brink after our Brandy passed away a year ago. Two cats, Scraps - left by
my son after he moved to Florida, and Gypsy, who found her way into our
garage and our hearts. Pix of all are on my website.

Machines: in order of purchase - Singer Futura, 1972, still works like a
charm. Pfaff 7570 which I use 99% of the time; a 1948 Featherweight in
pristine condition bought on eBay; a redhead treadle which I have not done
anything with yet; and a Singer 1952 in a cabinet that was my MILs. My FIL
thought I should have it - and that was the best day I ever had! I also
have a new Brother espree embroidery machine which I have no time to use,
unfortunately!

Quilting For: Almost 7 years now. A coworker wanted company for a quilting
class and the rest is history.

Quilt Assembly Preference: Rotary cut and strip pieced. Anytime I can sew
first and cut later is good for me. I have tried it all, though. Don't
particularly like appliqué, but I'm getting better at hand-piecing. I'm
better at MQ, but would like to get comfortable with HQ. I have a wonderful
lady that does beautiful machine quilting on a long arm which I use when I
make anything larger than a lap quilt.

Quilt Style Preference: Depends on the occasion, but I prefer quick quilts.
Appliqué is not one of my favorites, but I do have a Baltimore Album quilt
on my list of things to do.

Color preference: mostly everything, but I prefer purple, green, and
burgundy.

Skill level - I would think I'm an intermediate intermediate.

Posting/Reading Frequency: I started posting in September of 1997 and
haven't stopped since. I read and post every day - even on vacation. You
have to keep up or you won't find out about the stash raids!

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X: rubber stamping,
keeping up with my web hosting side business, walking with my DH and pups,
vacationing in Cape Hatteras, climbing any lighthouse I come across.

Pet peeves: the imbalance with our welfare system and our elder care system
(folks - with their 3 or 4 little kids - ahead of me in the grocery line
wearing more gold than I would ever afford and paying with food stamps
and/or welfare checks, while some elderly go without food so they can pay
for their prescriptions, or only take their meds every other day so they
last longer); folks who throw cigarette buts out their car window thinking
they are not littering; people who chain their dogs to trees or pen them up
in chain link pens in the back yard - why get a dog?; puppy mills and the
people who run them and the people who buy from them; people who complain
about the way government runs things but are not registered to vote or are,
but don't bother voting.

TV Shows: Law and Order, CSI; All my Children; Mysterious Ways; Survivor.

Drive A: 2003 Honda CRV, black.

Favorite Quote: Well, it's not really a quote, but it's a saying on a
plaque that my husband bought right before we were married. It contains 12
rules for a good marriage. It's rather tongue-in-cheek, but makes rather
good sense. My favorite is number 4 - "Don't yell at each other unless the
house is on fire".

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Renee Clark" wrote in message
While googling trying to learn more about our Mesue (wish I had a chance

get to know her), I came across a thread from 2000 in which RCTQ'ers
introduced themselves in detail. I've come on board since then (September

of
'02), and I'm sure many others have too. Might be worth doing again for

the
sake of those who are a bit newer. I'll go first, in the hope that some of
you will follow suit.
Blessings
Renee
Name: Renee Clark

Home: Tancook Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Occupation: Baptist minister

Age: 26

Past Lives:university student with some odd summer jobs, including frozen
novelties distributor (Dickie Dee biker!), special needs inclusion worker,
alzheimer's support, retail... Anything to pay for that English Lit

degree!
Anthing more to pay for the Masters!

Family: Single. Mom's about 5 hours from here, Dad died this past

February.
DSis and BIL (and DNephew, age 12), B and SisIL and all the respective

QI's.

Food:Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Also Pepsi, vanilla ice cream,
cheesecake, and turkey dinner - but not all at once.

QI's: Paisley (9 y.o. terrier mix), Simon and Sonny (1 y.o brother cats),
Mr. Fish (as the name implies!).

Machine(s): Kenmore bare-bones basic, a floor model I bought about 7 years
ago. No bells or whistles, but a good workhorse. Tempted by a serger, but
haven't bitten yet.

Quilting For: About 3 years. I took a class at the local fabric store
because they had a kittycat quilt on display... and caught quilt disease.

Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut (if it can't be rotary cut, I ain't
interested! LOL!), machine pieced, then either machine QITD, or sent out

be hand-quilted. Haven't mastered FMQ.

Quilt Style Preference: ABA - anything but APPLIQUE!

Colour Preference:rose, green, cream, Thimbleberries prints

Skill level: I call myself an 'advanced beginner'.

Posting/Reading frequency: Read almost daily, post roughly weekly.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading (magazines,
novels, mystery, how-to), animal rescue, cross-stitch, tole painting,

Celtic
music, digital photography, exploring little side-roads, spending time

with
friends, bargain-hunting.

Pet Peeves: Laws that are soft on those who mistreat children and

animals -
we have to have a license to drive a car and a permit to build a shed in

the
backyard, but anyone who is biologically able can have a child and anyone
with a few dollars can walk out of a pet store with an animal. Oh, and

there
are also those people who chatter away in the movie theatre and sneak
through the express checkout with more than 10 items. But it's the creeps
who hurt their children and pets that really get me.

TV Shows: ER, 7th Heaven, Sugar, old reruns of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

and
80's sitcoms.

Drive A: 1994 Eagle Summit Wagon (a mini-mini-van!)

Favorite Quote:"If I can stop one heart from breaking / I shall not live

in
vain. / If I can ease one life the aching / Or cool one pain / Or help one
fainting robin / Unto his nest again, / I shall not live in vain." - Emily
Dickinson

Old October 17th 03, 06:00 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Okay, folks... what is this "Monk" everybody watches? I've never heard
of it and I feel soooooooo depraved... errrrr... deprived.

Leslie always the last to know

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 17th 03, 09:56 AM
jules

Name: Julie Bradford

Home: Outside Southampton, UK

Occupation: Mother, wife, and anything else I am needed for )

Age: 32

Past Lives: Hairdresser, shop assistant, worked in the bank for a spell,

Garage receptionist

Family: Married to DH in 2001. DD 13, DS 10 ( 11 in December) and DS 1

Food:Chinese, Italian and anything I don't have to cook ;o) Also love hot

and spicy food much to the dismay to the rest of the family

QI's: one canary called tweetypie and DD2 Luke loves to watch me sew and

play with the scraps. Quilter in training I hope. Also older 2 are
starting to get interested ( well I hope so *g* )

Machine(s): A brother, QC janome ( the more basic one) and a FW 201 singer

Quilting For: 2 years this month. I have made 5 lap sized quilts now.

Quilt Assembly Preference: rotary cut, machine pieced, and still trying

to master machine quilting. I will get there in the end )

Quilt Style Preference: I find all styles pretty so am going to work my

way through them all ( Ok I plan to live until 450 years old lol)

Colour Preference: Purples, blues, brights and anything apart from brown

Skill level: Still a beginner and learning slowly

Posting/Reading frequency: I read nearly everything but don't post much

due to time and a toddler !

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: I read a lot quilt

magazines, books, terry pratchett. Love to cook and experiment in the
kitchen

Pet Peeves: Rudeness, not thinking of the consequences you actions have on

others, and people thinking deaf and disabled people have no brains. people
talking down to children or ignoring them and many many more

TV Shows: Pass, all we seem to get on our TV is Teletubbies, Fimbles and

the Simpson's

Drive A: Rover

Favourite Quote: Unless it's a mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it's a

waste of time. There are to many mediocre things in life -- Love shouldn't
be one of them.

--
Jules

Old October 17th 03, 12:46 PM
Queen of Squishies

Well I vote for, encourage, and strongly support you guys in having a NY
meet-up! The Illinois / Indiana meet-up was a huge success, and many are
counting on it becoming a yearly event!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 17th 03, 01:06 PM
AliceW

We could try to do an East Coast get-together sometime since we have a group
from NY, NJ, DE, MD, VA and PA. We could figure out a mid-point between the
two farthest folks and find a good spot. Any takers?

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends."
John Churton Collins

k.net...

Old October 17th 03, 01:23 PM
Susie

Alice,
I would LOVE to get together with a bunch of quilters because I don't
know what ta heck I'm doing.
Susie in northern NY and quilting only a few days. )

Old October 17th 03, 02:37 PM

Sure, Alice, would love a meetup. Just don't have it during the snowy
months! Nancycog in MD

Old October 17th 03, 02:52 PM
frood

So, you got something against us East Coasters below the Mason Dixon line?
Huh?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply