quilt progress and a quilt story..a bit long, and with a question

Old September 29th 03, 04:36 PM
CNYstitcher

Default quilt progress and a quilt story..a bit long, and with a question

Well, I have figured out how large I need to make the squares in order
to get the correct size hst needed. This is for the resized block that
i am using for Floral Flamingo. I have 32 different FQs that I bought
specifically for this quilt and have cut 1 strip from each as a start.
I just did the math, and I need 48 hsts for each center block.....right
now, that means I need a total of 1344 (1) hsts....672-2.5" squares!!
Well, at least I'm making progress with this thing, right??

I probably won't be working on it while Mother is here, as it is for my
Dad and Stepmom. I am going to give her my quilting books and magazines
and have her pick out a pattern that she likes (provided that it doesn't
involve applique). and then we can work on it for a bit.

Now, I finally got the "old" quilt out of the bluebird-in-raincoat
fabric (this was the quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a
baby). I talked with Dad last night and was telling him about it....if
it is the same quilt, he knows a bit about its history. Here is the
story he told me:

If it is the quilt he thinks it is, my great-grandmother and her sister
made it - all by hand! He thinks it is the quilt that he used on his
bed when he was growing up, but wants to see it to be sure. If it is,
he said that the quilt, a sheet, and a thin plasticy-nylon blanket were
all that he had to use in the winter (and the house is still as drafty
now as it was then, if not worse!!). He said that he used to sleep
fully dressed, with 2 pairs of socks and a watch cap (black knit hat),
under the sheet, blanket, adn quilt in order to stay warm.

When I told him that is was super heavy, that was practically the point
that convinced him it was the same quilt. Wahoo!! Now I know a little
bit about this treasure!!

Now for the question: 2 of the blocks have completley disintegrated to
where you can see the batting. In order to make it look at least close
to the same in color, I was going to use unbleached muslin and try to
replace the missing blocks. Do you all think this would work? I was
planning on hand sewing it to the fabric that remains on the surrounding
blocke, and mending the places that I could. Having seen the complete
quilt, it will no longer be getting machine washed.

DH even said he would be willing to have a custom frame built with glass
or plexi-glass to have the quilt put in, and then I could have a lovely
new piece of artwork to put up...just gotta figure out where it would go.

Larisa

Old September 29th 03, 04:37 PM
Pat in Virginia

Wow ... all that pirate talk last week has resulted in at least
one quilter finding some 'buried treasure'! WTG Larisa.
Now, what is this Floral Flamingo? Is this named for the bird or
the dance? Is the dance spelled with an 'e' or an 'i'? Finally,
where did you get the pattern? TIA.
PAT in VA/USA

CNYstitcher wrote:

Well, I have figured out how large I need to make the squares in order
to get the correct size hst needed. This is for the resized block that
i am using for Floral Flamingo. I have 32 different FQs that I bought
specifically for this quilt and have cut 1 strip from each as a start.
I just did the math, and I need 48 hsts for each center block.....right
now, that means I need a total of 1344 (1) hsts....672-2.5" squares!!
Well, at least I'm making progress with this thing, right??

Now, I finally got the "old" quilt out of the bluebird-in-raincoat
fabric (this was the quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a
baby). I talked with Dad last night and was telling him about it....if
it is the same quilt, he knows a bit about its history. Here is the
story he told me:

If it is the quilt he thinks it is, my great-grandmother and her sister
made it - all by hand! ...cut...

Old September 29th 03, 05:40 PM
CNYstitcher

LOL Floral Flamingo is what I have dubbed the quilt that I am making
for Dad and Stepmom. It will be 2-sided - 1 with flamingos done in the
Ocean Waves pattern from my Encyclopedia of Quilt Patterns book, and the
other is a bright, Asian-influenced floral (same colors as in the
flamingo fabric). I have a total of 32 FQs that will be used with both
of the main fabrics. It's basically a creation of my imagination. See,
my parents live in FLorida, and for a while, they collected Flamingo
*everything*. They have moved several times, and they are currently
complaining that their current house "has no color". So.....by the time
the quilt gets finished, they will have a ton of color....at least in
their bedroom. I think I have enough of each fabric to make them
matching pillowcases grin.

I will post pictures as I progress so you can see what I am trying to
do....oh, the floral side is extremely simple...a nice balance to the
multipieced ocean waves flamingo side.

Larisa

Old September 30th 03, 02:35 AM
Pat in Virginia

Ta! It does sound colorful. I've been planning/collecting for an
Ocean Waves for years (blue and green, with touches of orange)...
now it sounds so dang boring after hearing about your plans!!
TTFN and good luck with the birthing!
PAT in VA/USA

Old September 30th 03, 03:48 AM
CNYstitcher

Well, you kind of have to know the poeple it is going to. They are
rather, um....ecclectic....very odd people, but I love them. AND...they
are coming up in shifts to help me out with Rebekah, so, I suppose they
can't be too odd, right?? LOL

Larisa, who doesn't think your quilt sounds boring at all. When I make
a quilt for a specific person, I make sure I know a lot about their
interests so that I can try to incorporate them. Oh, and Mother has
been given the Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Pattern so that she can
choose what pattern she would like *her* quilt done in. She has been
warned that applique is out because I haven't tried it yet (that is in
the plan for next year), and that she probably wouldn't get it until
next Christmas.