What part of quilting do you enjoy the most?

Old September 23rd 03, 07:28 PM
AliceW

I love to bind! I love to make the binding, I love to stitch the
binding and I am anal over mitered corners. Crisp, they have to be
crisp. Now, if there were enough folks that didn't like to bind and
were willing to pay for the service, I wouldn't mind setting up a
binding business.

AliceW

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message m...
"nana2b" wrote in message
I really like the last part of the binding process.

You are welcome at my house any time! That's my least favorite part. Ugh...

Old September 23rd 03, 07:33 PM
AliceW

I like piecing the best. It's always magical to me to see the pieces
evolve into a block and the block evolve into a top, and the top
evolve into a quilt. I compare my current work to what I did earlier
on and I can see dramatic improvement, not only in my piecing, but in
my color choices, my seam matching and my square corners and straight
edges. Not perfect by any sense of the word, but better, much, much
better. Binding is my favorite part. It's like adding the frame to a
finished piece of art. And its the bit of handwork I really enjoy.

Good question!

AliceW

Lynne Van wrote in message ...
We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

And yes, I know the answer for some of you will be "all of the
above"...but try to be a little more specific, please. (VBG)

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old September 23rd 03, 07:36 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"AliceW" wrote in message
om...
I love to bind! I love to make the binding, I love to stitch the
binding and I am anal over mitered corners. Crisp, they have to be
crisp. Now, if there were enough folks that didn't like to bind and
were willing to pay for the service, I wouldn't mind setting up a
binding business.

I'll bet there are enough! LOL

There's a lady here in Woodland who does nothing but binding, and I always
have her cards available for my customers because *I* sure as heck won't do
it anymore (for pay). Methinks every LQS in the area probably has or wants
her cards, too.

If you ever think about setting up a binding business, check with your local
LQS's and longarmers. Show them samples of your work, and you'll probably
have as much business as you want.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 23rd 03, 07:57 PM
georg

Lynne Van wrote:

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

I've never done paper piecing yet. I have done some foundation paper
piecing. I like regular piecing and strip piecing with the rotary
cutter. I enjoy needleturn applique, although just in the last 2 weeks I
finally sat down and did machine reverse applique, and I thought that
was nifty. I also love embroidery embelishments, and the act of hand
quilting itself.

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

Design! What pattern am I making up this time? Then picking out the
fabric- this goes with that and it belongs just *there* to make it pop!

I have more quilts designed than I will ever do.

-georg

Old September 23rd 03, 07:58 PM
Gumbo

I like machine piecing and hand quilting. Both have a certain relaxing
rhythm to them. I like planning how I'll do the top and finding the
right fabrics. The part I like the very best though is the hand
quilting. I think the quilting adds the "life" to the quilt. It wasn't
asked but the part I dislike the most.... basting.

Debbie

Old September 23rd 03, 08:05 PM
Julia in MN

Lynne Van wrote:

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

At this point, piecing by machine. I'm just getting into foundation
paper piecing and am not sure if it will be something I do a lot of.

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

The design and fabric selection.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old September 23rd 03, 08:18 PM
juliasb(nospam)

Definitely all of the above. However I prefer traditional patchwork the
most. There are so many wonderful patterns and designs that it is
unlikely I will ever complete more than a handful in a lifetime. I love
making the tops and seeing just how everything is suppose to look. I get
a great deal of satisfaction just seeing a completed top. Then of
course some of these tops may sit un-quilted for a very long time. I
like to do most of my patchwork piecing during the warmer months so in
the cold months I can cover myself up in the quilt as I am hand quilting it.
I use to do all MQ but have been HQ for some time now. Doing my best
to perfect my stitching that IMHO still needs a great deal of work.
Most of the actual quilting I have done has been in the ditch. I
have done a few so far with design stitching and am working this kind of
finishing even now. I bought 2 new stencils over the weekend to play
with on the next quilt I HQ.
I love appliqué quilts too. I have only done a few of this type but
am building up patterns and such to make a Baltimore Album Quilt
sometime in the near future. (that is one reason for buying the
mini-iron over the weekend).
Most of all though, it is seeing the very last stitch on the end of
the binding that is the biggest thrill. Knowing that I completed a quilt
and have brought life into it pleases me the very most.
juliasb

Lynne Van wrote:

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

And yes, I know the answer for some of you will be "all of the
above"...but try to be a little more specific, please. (VBG)

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 23rd 03, 08:51 PM
Butterfly

1: Piecing cause it is the 'easiest' for me right now.....

2: Being ABLE to : ) AND having a good Pro-MQ'er really helps with the
finishing.

Butterfly

Old September 23rd 03, 10:14 PM
Patti

Hullo Lynne
1. I like most techniques, and would be hard put to state a
favourite one; but perhaps the most 'useful' is paper piecing. I don't
like raw edges in *anything*; so whatever I do it has to be neatly
seamed or turned under!!
2. The design part definitely - because it is with me longest.
Then, it would be the piecing. I am getting to like quilting more; and,
since I've discovered fusible batting, the 'sandwiching' part doesn't
hold the same horrors as it used to. I also like the binding part to
some extent - but not like Alice!!
..
In article , Lynne Van
writes

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

And yes, I know the answer for some of you will be "all of the
above"...but try to be a little more specific, please. (VBG)

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
John Gallagher

Love all the piecing designing things but I HATE sandwiching and quilting,
have 10 or 12 pieced tops lol Estelle