Life's story

Old September 6th 03, 04:25 AM
CNYstitcher

Neal Baker Vann was born in 1854 and I need to get his
father/grandfather/etc....

DH's family is trying to trace their Cherokee ancestry back to Chief
Vann...1854 is as far back as they have gotten. DH says that Neal
Bakers Vann's father is named Edmond.....but that is all the info that i
have right now.

Larisa

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message

Kathy...wanna help me work on DHs family genealogy??? we have back to
1854, but we need to go back further...

Sure, I'll be glad to offer what advice I can!

So, what do you have in 1854, and what are you trying to find out? Inquiring
minds want to know!

Old September 6th 03, 08:02 AM
Nell Reynolds

This reminds me of a guy I once worked with during my mercifully short stint
as an advertising saleswoman. Jack was the best salesman you ever met. If
there had been any Eskimos in Corpus Christi, he would have sold them
refrigerators. Unfortunately, after signing a client, he kind of let
him/her dangle with no service to the account. Result? Clients left and
went with other agencies.
When I found out that his 7th wife was also his first, second, third,
fourth, fifth, AND sixth, I was not at all surprised -- except that she kept
falling for the same line of BS.

Nell in Austin

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
We could have a Match, if I could remember important stuff like that. The
last time I checked with the (half-)sister-who-counts-offspring, my dad

had
nearly 100 descendents. That was at least 25 years ago. In this day of
divorce, there may be as many step- as blood-kids in the family. (I am

the
youngest kid, #9; I have NO kids.)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
Well, it's actually easier for me to understand this one than figuring
out my FILs story/family.

FIL marries Nancy, has 2 children, divorces, remarries Nancy and has 2
more. These children are all full-blooded siblings. FIL and Nancy
divorce again and FIL marries LInda (aka Momma), who happens to be
Nancy's cousin (and was the baby sitter for the children). Would she be
considered the cousin or stepmother to the children, or both?

FIL and Momma divorce, remarry, divorce again - no children.

In the interim: son1 marries Janine (no children), son2 marries Georgane
(G has 2 children from previous marriage), son3 marries Sally (2
children), son4 marries Larisa (me - 2 children).

FIL marries Myrtle, mother of Sally (wife of son3).....does that
meanthat Myrtle has gone from being son3's MIL to his stepmom, or does
he still refer to her as his MIL??

Now in my family, once divorced, people didn;t marry back into the
family, they chose new families to mix with...lol......

Larisa

Old September 6th 03, 08:11 AM
Nell Reynolds

Many large cities have genealogical libraries in one branch or another,
staffed by volunteer Mormons. The help is free, although they do charge a
minimal amount for the forms. I know there are websites to help people
research ancestors. From time to time my DH goes online asking something
like, "Looking for information on Arphaxad or Arphaxton Dawson, born in 1820
in Williamson County, IL." Sometimes he gets a reply the next week;
sometimes it doesn't come for a month or two -- or never.

Nell in Austin

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
Kathy...wanna help me work on DHs family genealogy??? we have back to
1854, but we need to go back further...

Larisa, not even sure where to begin

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message

Me, too, Donna. I thought I was confusing when trying to explain how my
dad's 3d wife was the daughter of his first wife's first husband.

Almost as bad as DH's family -- FIL's second wife was the niece of wife

#1.
So DH's half-sister is also his first cousin, once removed, and his

nephew
is also his second cousin. FIL's father-in-law was also his ex-BIL. Good
thing I enjoy genealogy! LOL

Old September 6th 03, 08:21 AM
Nell Reynolds

Do you know where he was born? Where/when he died? Where/when he
bought/sold property? Whom he married? When, where she (they if more than
one --high mortality rate for women then) was born, died? Names, dates of
children, place(s) they were born?
I know there are specific genealogy websites for African-Americans. It
stands to reason there are others for Native Americans.
While they are still around, visit, phone, or write the oldest family
members and ask them for all info on parents, grandparents, children,
grandchildren. Write it down immediately; don't depend on memory alone.
Warning: Genealogy is addictive.

Nell in Austin

Old September 6th 03, 12:36 PM
CNYstitcher

I have some information on Neal Baker, but not his father.......we have
everyone from Nal Baker Vann on down to the latest generation (my son,
nieces, nephews, etc.). I suppose what i need to do is try and find
books and websites specifically on Cherokee genealogy and go from there,
huh?

Larisa, who can answer most of your questions, but wasn't going to in an
open forum

Old September 6th 03, 12:38 PM
CNYstitcher

Did that....found some references to the family and contacted the
authros/researchers listed...sadly, none could help me, though one did
point me a what I think is a good direction, and the other suggested
some books that i might want to look into (well, I will actually be
ordering a 2 book set in the hopes that we can trace the family
migration as well).

Larisa

Old September 6th 03, 03:17 PM
MerryStahel

I suppose what i need to do is try and find
books and websites specifically on Cherokee genealogy and go from there,
huh?

The Dawes Rolls are on OK, and I think some in NC. They are trying to get them
online, too. A lot of Cherokee ancestry there.

I found one of ours, possibly.

I'm looking for Lily Grace Holler, possibly of Hollis Oklahoma, we believe she
is the full blooded Cherokee in our family tree.

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old September 6th 03, 04:47 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
Neal Baker Vann was born in 1854 and I need to get his
father/grandfather/etc....

DH's family is trying to trace their Cherokee ancestry back to Chief
Vann...1854 is as far back as they have gotten. DH says that Neal
Bakers Vann's father is named Edmond.....but that is all the info that i
have right now.

Alas, I have absolutely no known Indian ancestry, so I can't be of much help
here.

I do know that there are a number of books on researching Indian ancestry,
particularly Cherokee ancestry. I'd check your nearest Family History Center
(they are usually in the phone book) and ask them for some advice.

Good luck!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 6th 03, 09:37 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
what I find most bizarre is that the guy kept remarrying women he had
divorced.. clearly could not make up his mind!

Actually, I can top that. My FIL is on his 4th consecutive marriage to his
current wife (who is at least wife #4-7, but may be wife #5-8. we aren't
sure. This is the same man where wife #2 was the niece of wife #1). Some
times they live together without being married, sometimes they are married
but not living together.

Here's what is *really* odd -- he actually gets angry with us because we
don't always know whether or not he's married! I do his taxes every year, so
I have to ask to be sure. (Hmmm... maybe he's relying on us to know, because
he isn't sure himself! ROFLMAO)

He really got tweaked at his last divorce when I asked him if he was getting
a volume discount... :-)

Old September 7th 03, 02:00 AM
CNYstitcher

I think it is more that he didn't want to take care of himself and
married women who were incredibly gullible...I never asked "Momma" what
her story was...I would rather just leave it since she remarried and
Earl is a great guy (her current husband).

Larisa

Dr. Quilter wrote:

what I find most bizarre is that the guy kept remarrying women he had
divorced.. clearly could not make up his mind!

STORY - I think we need a story right now Kathy N-V Beads 4 February 4th 05 04:55 PM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 12:30 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 12:37 PM