A Favor of you Please

Old August 18th 03, 04:39 PM
Pati Cook

Thanks, I think. G Actually, my grandmother also was a quilter. My Mom
doesn't remember it, but I do remember seeing some of the quilts that she
finished. But I never really *looked* at them. Then Mom found a top, that
Grandma had pieced, when going through Grandpa's stuff after he died. I have it
to quilt, and it has to be hand quilted of course since she hand pieced it. It
is a Boston Commons set, but no wide parts, all 2" (?) squares. Mom recognizes
some of the fabrics as being from her kindergarden dresses, and some of her
sister's dresses and aprons and such. I will do simple quilting and get it
finished. soon I hope.

I guess I do have a rather warped outlook on life sometimes G. Must have
something to do with living with a writer who is a born punster for the last 20+
years. G

Keep healing Diana, I want to know more about this BOM thing that keeps being
mentioned.

Pati, in Phx (who really needs another project to keep up with.........)

Diana Curtis wrote:

Wow, you sure have grown in the craft! Im glad youre here to share your
knowledge and also cause your posts are usually a hoot!
Thank you for sharing your tale, all of them have been interesting.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Well, I have been on RCTQ for not quite 2 years. I finally got the

computer set
up, and the net account up and running. DH sat down with me and said what
newsgroup should we check out. I said "quilting", so he called up

quilting
newsgrous, this was the first on the list and I never checked any others.

That
was in January of 2001.
I stay because it is fun, educational and I like the people and byplay

that goes
on.
Quilting was an outgrowth of sewing in general for me. My degree is in

Clothing
and Textiles, almost a master's in C&T along with work toward a master's

in
Adult Ed. I was working at House of Fabrics (assistant manager/sewing

machine
manager) when HoF was bought by the company that became Jo-Ann Stores.

Stayed
on through many changes in 3 years, finally got fed up enough to quit.

One of
the things that led to my quitting also led to my quilting. G We had

to wear
a "uniform" for JAS. Khaki bottoms and white shirts (or shirts with the

JAS
logo we could purchase from a specfic company ) Had to have some way to

channel
the creative sewing I needed to do. (As much as I was working I wasn't

wearing
much but uniform, and what other clothes I already had were sitting in the
closet) So I started with some quilting. I had taken a beginning hand

quilting
class several years ago, and just went on from there.
Now I am finally beginning to teach quilt classes and design my own

quilts.
Eventually I hope to have some of my designs out for sale as patterns (a

couple
of people have already asked about buying patterns of a couple of my

quilts.)
Have some ideas for quilt books and want to become a really good teacher.

Hope this entertains you some what,

Pati, in Phx.

Diana Curtis wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 18th 03, 04:45 PM
Kathy in CA

I started quilting only this year. I have been sewing (and loved it) since I
was 14. Once my kids grew up and moved out I stopped sewing so much. When my
daughter got pregnant last year I began sewing receiving blankets and bibs
and "cheater" baby quilts--just sewed a ruffle or binding and called it a
quilt! Decided I could do better so I began looking doing my research on the
internet last fall about how to make a real quilt. I tend to research first
then do I knew about newsgroups already so I did a search for one on
quiltiing. And so here I am I continues t read this newsgroup 'cause I
learn interesting quilting tips. I work for for my ISP as tech support so I
am on the internet 40 hours a week. I can pretty much do what I want between
call so I read several newsgroups (quilting, genealogy, recipes, and
sometimes sewing), browse the web, and occasionaly have something to
crochet.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"judy in fort worth" wrote in message
m...
I found RCTQ when I was new to the internet and trying to figure out the
attraction to chat rooms. This forum was more of what I was looking for

and
was not filled with people pretending to be in their 40's when they were
really only teenagers. I do not post often but do read the ng daily. I
have made a couple of good friends in my local area through this

ng---people
I would never have met any other place. I stay because the conversation

is
always interesting and because I have learned a thing or two here.
My grandmother was a quilter although I did not know that when I began
quilting. She had passed away before I began to quilt. My MIL and GMIL
were quilters and I guess I just wanted to be part of the

family---although
MIL and compete more than we collaborate! (odd family dynamics there!) I
took my first quilt class when my DS (now 23) was a baby---back in the

days
of templates! Yuck! It is amazing that I stayed with it. For many

years,
I was a purist and would only handquilt. Machine piecing was fine but it
wasn't a quilt unless it was handquilted. I am not sure what changed my
mind on that opinion but I think that it has something to do with wanting

finish more than one quilt a year. Plus the longarm quilters are so much
better now than they were 20 years ago---the ones that quilt for me are

true
artists.
What do I get from my quilting? The joy of creating something unique and

of
giving a gift of myself. I give away most of my quilts to family members
and friends. It was hard at first to give a quilt to a person who doesn't
"get it" but I have gotten over that and now give a quilt because I want

and because I think everyone in the world really needs a quilt.
I am always looking for a new challenge. I hope to leave a quilt legacy

my family and friends and to raise sons who value a gift from someone's
hands and heart. I also quilt for the distraction. When life is too much
for me and my worrying gene kicks in, sitting at my machine and piecing a
quilt can take my mind off my problems. In the future I hope to find lots
of new fabric and inspiration.

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old August 18th 03, 05:15 PM
Diana Curtis

Lovely story, and what a great tale of perserverence and growth in
quiltmaking!
Im glad you didnt give up after the first fiasco!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Don't remember how long I've been on rctq, seems like forever, but can't

be
more than 5 years maybe -that's how long we've had email! DH the
ever-helpful and enthusiastic computer geek (self-taught, it's scary)
discovered newsgroups and decided it would be a good way to "convert" me.

It
worked!

I stay here because I can't imagine life without you!

Quilting -well, it all started back in the 70s with a pile of very random
fabric scraps from making clothes for my baby girls. A bit of
everything -all weights of cotton, some wool, synthetics, you name it. So
with the good intention of using up this stuff, and without benefit of any
advice, I cut them all into rectangles and sewed them together in rows

until
I had a baby quilt. Covered all the seams with a backing (birthed) and

felt
pleased with myself. Looked pretty good until the first wash. Then I had

throw it out.

There had to be a better way... I found a book (something from Simplicity
patterns) and persevered. I still love scrappy quilts, and they don't fall
apart in the wash any more!
Roberta in D

Old August 18th 03, 05:21 PM
Diana Curtis

oh.. is this how it goes, high as a kite, miserable, bored, crabby, well?
Whooohoooo! Im almost there! LOL
What an interesting story you bring here. We are family, a weird, loving
family.
Im glad you stayed.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"taria" wrote in message
It has been a good while but I would assume DH sat me down and
suggested it might be something I would enjoy. I remember many years
ago being on Prodigy (gosh I think that was one of the early ones)
and there was a quilting group. They changed over to charging by
the time you were on instead of a monthly charge and we dropped them.
Were any of you there in earlier years? I'll never forget a woman
posting
that a policeman had come to her door to tell her that her son had died.
It had just happened minutes before and she turned to the group to talk.
I can't remember her name or anything else but that will forever stick
in my mind. How we got here might be different for many of us but
why we stay is probably similar. The people here are a caring bunch.

You take care of yourself Diana. Bored means you are healing. WHen you
start getting crabby we'll know you are close to being well VBG
Taria

Diana Curtis wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

Old August 18th 03, 05:51 PM
Butterfly

So did you stand there and yell
"ENABLER"!!!!!!!!
Did you get a pix--or at least the name of the quilt design?
Hugs
Butterfly (No, I am not about to head for the rafters today : )

CNYstitcher wrote:

Yep, just like my sewing and cross-stitch.....With those, I started with
only wanting to do one project, but enjoyed it so much that I just kept
going. Of course, I alsodo the odd thing of putting puzzles toether,
gluing them, and frmaing them as "artwork" LOL......Actually, DH thinks
it is pretty cool, and it *does* cost a lot less than real art, and it
gives me something to do during my restless periods (DS, age 3, is
pretty good at helping me sort pieces).

I picked up my State Fair reject this morning, and found a quilt that I
have set my sights on.....it is lovely beyond words, looks like the
basis is a whole cloth quilt, with added applique of flowers and such on
it....When I first saw it, I just stopped and stared...sigh

Larisa

Diana Curtis wrote:

It started out innocently enough for you didnt it? And now..
bwuwahahahahaha... sucked you in deep didnt it! lol
Im glad you set your goals high. Why not. There doesnt seem much point
unless youre willing to try to do better than yourself.
Diana, thanking you for hte diversion

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 18th 03, 06:01 PM
CNYstitcher

Mom,

I will be getting a picture of the quilt when the fair opens. We are
going to try to get more pictures of my entries as well and then I have
to convince DH to upload them for me. I *did* glare at it, though, so
hopefully, it got the gist of what i was thinking at the time.

Larisa

Old August 18th 03, 06:45 PM
Lisa Ellis

I started reading RCTQ and posting occasionally after I discovered it
when messing around on the internet at work. I like the mix of
personalities here so I keep on reading. Also, I don't currently belong
to a quilt club, so this group serves the same function for me. I like
knowing what is going on in the 'quilting world.'

I have been quilting for a long time, about 28 years. I started
quilting after I bought a quilting magaizine (Quilt World?) and a book
that had a chapter on quilting. My first quilt was a tied quilt for my
bed, just squares of velvets, corderorys and cottons, which wore out
long ago. When my son was born, I made a similar, small quilt for him,
and used a old blanket for the batting. I gave it to a friend when my
ds out grew it, and she used it as a car blanket for a long time.

In the future, I hope to finish the tops I have done over the years, and
to make some new ones; to put a dent into my stash. . .

lisae

Old August 18th 03, 06:58 PM
Kate Dicey

frood wrote:

Snipped poor dog story!

To this day, my mother has no idea of the real story. This even came up this
past Christmas! My mother *knows* something else happened, but has no
evidence! Well, until I published it here on the internet that is!

Looks like dog is woman's best friend as well as man's! :P Poor pooch!

My mother was very proud of her new pale green twist pile hall and stair
carpet... We took shoes off before entering the house! One day she
went and brought home the groceries. A pink yoghurt pot popped it's lid
and dribbled all the length of the hall, from the front door to the
kitchen door! AKK! We did what we could, but it was still faintly
noticeable when the carpets were given their final Only Mother Knows How
scrubbing a few days before she moved out, some 15 years later... The
yoghurt had bleached the carpet faintly.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 18th 03, 07:27 PM
Ann

Diana, so glad you are recovering.

I discovered rctq a couple years ago. I didn't read the posts on a regular
basis but when I stopped in I enjoyed the posts and kept thinking that I
needed to jump in. It wasn't until very recently that I took the plunge,
and now read every day. I stay because you are a very knowledgeable group
of people and your help and suggestions are invaluable. I don't think I
have come across a question that went unanswered.

My Mom taught me how to sew at a very young age. I remember cutting out
patterns with Mom's right handed scissors until my poor left hand was numb.
It wasn't until I was an adult that I owned my first pair of left handed
scissors!!. I sewed until I got married, then made curtains, baby clothes,
doll clothes and dresses from my nieces. Once my boys got into school I
put the sewing on hold for a while. About 20 years ago (maybe longer) I
took my first quilting class. Prior to the class we were given our supply
list for the rail fence pattern. My selection of fabric was a mixture of
cottons and poly cottons. What did a 20 something year old know!! I
enjoyed the coming together of that quilt. I was amazed that 6 fabrics,
sewn together in different order, turned this way or that way could create a
different effect.

During my sons growing up years I had little time to myself, but took a few
quilting classes. Classes were great because you could attend, do your
cutting and sewing without the interruptions of children and hubby. I didn'
t *need* a class, but I found classes to be a great motivator.

My Mom quilted and was a very good at it. Many of her quilts were hand
quilted. She always had projects on the go, and at various stages of
completion. She had blocks to appliqué that were easy to take along, she
had pieces cut out to sew on the machine, she had squares cut out ready to
sew together, quilts ready to hand quilt. Mom was diagnosed with ovarian
cancer and the chemo treatments started shortly thereafter. It was not
meant to be. From the time of diagnosis to the time she passed away was 6
months. She spent the majority of that time in hospital. On Mother's Day
last year all of her family, all 13 of us, gathered at the hospital with Mom
and her quilts. The nurses so kindly let us use the dining room and we set
out all of her quilts. All our names were put in a hat and as a name was
pulled out we picked a quilt to call our own. Everyone got 3 quilts, Mom
had that many!! After she passed away, and dividing up her things, as I was
the only quilter in the family, I got Mom's quilting supplies, frames and
gadgets and stashes and all of her works in progress.

So, my future quilting plans involve finishing Mom's projects, or at least
learning what to do to finish. Which involves techniques I haven't done
before, and decisions on how they go together. I will never lack something
"quilty" to do

Ann