The Annual Christmas Wish List

Old December 3rd 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default The Annual Christmas Wish List

In article
,
"Pati, in Phx" wrote:

Polly it is super easy to change the blade. Remove the screw, (there
is even an arrow showing which way to turn it, because it is a
"reverse" screw) slide the blade out, slide in the new blade and
replace the screw. There is a section of the cover that comes off,
after the screw is removed, for cleaning the lint out. That part can
be difficult to remove the first couple of times, but a bit of use of
a screw driver helps.
I will chime in and agree about the Martelli cutters. There is a bit
of a learning curve to them, because the motion/pressure is different.
But once you learn to use this style it is wonderful. And you can use
them, easily, while sitting down. wonderful tool.

Pati, in Phx

Oops! I should have read the entire thread before replying, Pati! G

On Dec 2, 9:44*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
You didn't mention the most important part (to me). *Is it easy to change
the blade or do you have to draw a diagram of what goes first and which side
goes down? *Polly

"Sandy" wrote How about a Martelli rotary cutter, Frank? The web site
is at

http://www.martellicatalog.com/. The cutters look odd, but I'm in
love
with mine!

They look nice, but what differentiates them from a standard cutter?
Frank

The pushing is easier. It's ergonomic, too, so your hand isn't at an odd
angle. I find it so much easier to use than the ones I've used in the
past -- just wish it were as pretty as my pink Olfa cutter! G Here's
what the site says:

"Problems with arthritis, carpel tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, hand
fatigue, neck or arm pain? Then the Martelli 2000 Rotary Cutter is the
only cutter for you! Unlike traditional rotary cutters, the Ergo Cutter
is held in a natural position with your arm and hand evenly distributing
all of the pressure. Cuts round, scalloped or patterned shapes. Safe,
automatic springloaded guard closes with a flip of a finger. "

I just know that cutting isn't nearly the *work* it used to be.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 3rd 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Frank Reid

Great ideas all. Oh, by the way, I have a lifetime supply of angelina
fibre (I'm a fly tyer). Didn't know about the film. Will have to
check it out.
Thanks.
Frank

Old December 3rd 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Sandy wrote:
In article
,
Frank Reid wrote:

Okay, gonna be a short Xmas this year, so lets everyone concentrate on
smaller, less expensive items. Unique, quilting related, but... what
YOU would like someone to give you.
I've already been told about one item for my brides list. (see link).
http://www.thisnext.com/item/95235D6...ng-Board-Cover

She needs a new ironing board cover? I don't think it will cover her
size board. :-)
Frank Reid

How about a Martelli rotary cutter, Frank? The web site is at
http://www.martellicatalog.com/. The cutters look odd, but I'm in love
with mine!

Do the Martelli cutters take any blade of the right size, or do you need
the Martelli blades?

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 3rd 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

You need to have blades with a round hole, no "notches" in it like the
Olfas have.(The notches cut the screw that holds the blade in. Don't
ask. )
The Martelli blades are about the same price as the Olfas and do last
longer.

Pati, in Phx

Old December 4th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Frank Reid

Okay, been looking at the Martelli cutters, and, in the process, I
found the Martelli Kwik Bind System.
http://www.martellicatalog.com/cgi-b...gory_Code=Bind

Has anyone used this? I know one of their problems is they hate hand
binding. Is it worth the $150?
Frank Reid

Old December 4th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Thanks, Pati! I thought the photos looked like the blades didn't have
notches, so I was wondering if they were different. They do say that the
blades will also work in most other cutters.

Julia in MN

Old December 4th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Frank Reid wrote:

Okay, been looking at the Martelli cutters, and, in the process, I
found the Martelli Kwik Bind System.
http://www.martellicatalog.com/cgi-b...Screen=PROD&St
ore_Code=MC&Product_Code=KB011&Category_Code=Bind

Has anyone used this? I know one of their problems is they hate hand
binding. Is it worth the $150?
Frank Reid

I've seen this advertised for years, but I've never used/bought it. $150
sounds like a bit more than I'd want to pay for a binding tool, when
it's so easy to do it another way. G But the joy of quilting is that
what seems silly to one quilter may be absolute bliss for another.

Old December 4th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Do get them some water-soluble thread and also a spool of fusible thread.
Those are fun tools; I especially like using the water-soluble on the SM to
make a binding be still so I can machine stitch the binding down neatly.
Polly

Old December 4th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On Dec 3, 5:53*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
L... I especially like using the water-soluble on the SM to
make a binding be still so I can machine stitch the binding down neatly.
Polly

How do you use water-soluble thread to do that?
Thanks
Bev in TX
Old December 4th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

I just got one of those and I've used it almost every day since it
came. The wooden end that presses seams flat is great for
paper-piecing when you don't want to keep getting up for the iron. The
other wooden end is perfect for turning facings and collars with
pointed places. The seam ripper is sharp and the stilleto, or awl,
works great for holding small seams you're ironing down or for guiding
fabric under the presser foot. The wood is carved with flat edges so
that it doesn't roll off the machine. It was pricey, but I love it!

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:25:37 +1300, "J*"
wrote:

Alex Anderson has a new 4 in 1 tool out.
its a seam ripper, stiletto, turner and presser..
heres a link to it.
http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1390

Jo's Annual Christmas Joke Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 3 December 12th 08 08:46 PM
Frank's Annual Gift List Frank Reid Quilting 26 December 26th 07 07:19 PM
The Annual Christmas Jokes polly esther Quilting 23 December 14th 06 01:36 PM
Christmas Wish List Tina Quilting 36 November 27th 05 07:13 PM
The Annual Christmas Rant :-) Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 4 December 2nd 03 04:43 AM