The Annual Christmas Wish List

Old December 3rd 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default The Annual Christmas Wish List

How about a catered lunch for the day she wants to keep going without having
to bother with cooking at all? 'Catered' can mean anything from a sack of
burgers to well .... whatever you can finance. Or a cleaning lady so she
can keep going full steam ahead without noticing that the floor is
'somewhere' under the threads and shreds? Right now ours looks like we're
raising hairy hogs inside. Yogi can track in more mud and leaves that any
pig you ever met. Polly

Old December 3rd 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:48:14 -0600, Frank Reid wrote
(in article
):

Okay, gonna be a short Xmas this year, so lets everyone concentrate on
smaller, less expensive items. Unique, quilting related, but... what
YOU would like someone to give you.
I've already been told about one item for my brides list. (see link).
http://www.thisnext.com/item/95235D6...ng-Board-Cover

She needs a new ironing board cover? I don't think it will cover her
size board. :-)
Frank Reid

Replacement rotary cutter blades in my stocking. Maybe a FQ or 2 since I've
been on a fabric buying diet. Not likely that Santa's helper will get me
either of those though.

Maureen

Old December 3rd 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

Watch her sew? *Are you kidding? *All that blood, screaming and
hollaring? *She and daughter watch hockey whilst sewing.
I'm thinking of a Sid Crosby Fathead for the sewing room.
Frank Reid

Bandaids. Definitely a BIG box of bandaids!

Dannielle
Old December 3rd 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Frank Reid

I do a large part of the cooking and all of the cleaning.
I like the new roller cutters. I can get a set for each of my ladies
and they will not share 'cause the daughter is a lefty.
Daughter has been turning denim (to include old jeans) into yarn by
cutting it into 1/2" strips and sewing them together. I think a new
roller cutter will help in this endeavor.
I can also get them a gift certificate to the place that they buy
their thread for "Bonnie," the longarm (powered by Starbucks).
Someday, I might even get a quilt out of it.
Okay folks, keep 'em coming and I'll summarize it in a week so you can
email it to those that would "give."
Frank Reid

Old December 3rd 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Do they have a pair of those spring-loaded hefty big-time serious scissors
meant for cutting denim? When I made all the grands denim quilts, my hand
got mighty weary and I did have serious serrated Ginghers. Polly

Old December 3rd 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Polly it is super easy to change the blade. Remove the screw, (there
is even an arrow showing which way to turn it, because it is a
"reverse" screw) slide the blade out, slide in the new blade and
replace the screw. There is a section of the cover that comes off,
after the screw is removed, for cleaning the lint out. That part can
be difficult to remove the first couple of times, but a bit of use of
a screw driver helps.
I will chime in and agree about the Martelli cutters. There is a bit
of a learning curve to them, because the motion/pressure is different.
But once you learn to use this style it is wonderful. And you can use
them, easily, while sitting down. wonderful tool.

Pati, in Phx

On Dec 2, 9:44*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
You didn't mention the most important part (to me). *Is it easy to change
the blade or do you have to draw a diagram of what goes first and which side
goes down? *Polly

"Sandy" wrote How about a Martelli rotary cutter, Frank? The web site
is at

http://www.martellicatalog.com/. The cutters look odd, but I'm in
love
with mine!

They look nice, but what differentiates them from a standard cutter?
Frank

The pushing is easier. It's ergonomic, too, so your hand isn't at an odd
angle. I find it so much easier to use than the ones I've used in the
past -- just wish it were as pretty as my pink Olfa cutter! G Here's
what the site says:

"Problems with arthritis, carpel tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, hand
fatigue, neck or arm pain? Then the Martelli 2000 Rotary Cutter is the
only cutter for you! Unlike traditional rotary cutters, the Ergo Cutter
is held in a natural position with your arm and hand evenly distributing
all of the pressure. Cuts round, scalloped or patterned shapes. Safe,
automatic springloaded guard closes with a flip of a finger. "

I just know that cutting isn't nearly the *work* it used to be.

Old December 3rd 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Frank, there are lots of inexpensive little gadgets out there that are
neat and fun to use. Also useful. G
Sally's Gizmo. From Sally Schneider. Small tool that helps make half
square triangles to match squares all from same width strips. (Under
$5) Sally also has a new book out about scrap quilts (but darned if I
can remember the name of it at the moment.) The Gizmo came about
because Sally works a lot on scrappy quilts.

There are lots of tools, rulers, pantographs, and supplies (batting
and thread, for example) for the long arm.
Several shops on line have long arm sections.

Accessories for the sewing machines. Extra feet, guides, multi-spool
holders and so on.

Sewing machine needles. I understand the titanium ones are wonderful,
last a lot longer than standard ones and are pricier. One of these
days I will splurge on some.

Embellishments.... Angelina fiber and film. Shiva Paint Sticks, along
with rubbing plates and such. And the books that explain how to use
these products.
Fiber/yarn collections. Beads, hot fix crystals/studs/pearls. (and the
"wand" to fix them.)

Several of our local quilt shops have "Wish Lists" for customers to
fill out and leave. Then have special days for gifters to visit and
get assistance in selecting items on the lists for their giftee(s).
Works really well.

My late mother-in-law always asked what we wanted. (Not the way I grew
up.) It was difficult to ask for specific things, but I could give her
one of the catalogs that I had marked up with things I would like to
have. She then had suggestions, and places she could order the items
if she didn't want to go looking for them. Or she could take the
catalog along to a local shop and show them what she was looking for.
Whichever she chose.
(Got my light table and first FasTurn set that way. G )

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

I've already been told about one item for my brides list. *(see link).http://www.thisnext.com/item/95235D6...Ironing-Board-...

Old December 3rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IPod Touch with the Sony (IIRC) radio-IPod dock-cd player combo. Plays
almost anything you own, just perfect for the sewing studio. And
anybody who gets tired of stitching can always use the IPod for....
podcasts! Sorry if this is too expensive, I have no idea -mine was a
gift.
Roberta in D

Old December 3rd 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Frank Reid wrote:

I do a large part of the cooking and all of the cleaning.
I like the new roller cutters. I can get a set for each of my ladies
and they will not share 'cause the daughter is a lefty.
Daughter has been turning denim (to include old jeans) into yarn by
cutting it into 1/2" strips and sewing them together. I think a new
roller cutter will help in this endeavor.
I can also get them a gift certificate to the place that they buy
their thread for "Bonnie," the longarm (powered by Starbucks).
Someday, I might even get a quilt out of it.
Okay folks, keep 'em coming and I'll summarize it in a week so you can
email it to those that would "give."
Frank Reid

Frank, I'm a lefty, too! It has its advantages, in that no one ever
borrows my rotary cutters and forgets to return them. DH and one of
our two DDs are also left-handed, so my scissors have never been safe
unless I hid them. g Now I do exactly that, leaving out a couple of
pairs I don't care about -- sort of a red herring idea. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 3rd 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

You didn't mention the most important part (to me). Is it easy to change
the blade or do you have to draw a diagram of what goes first and which side
goes down? Polly

Polly, to answer your question I had to go take mine apart to look! G
These blades last a seriously long time, since you don't accidentally
cut with the blade at an angle. At any rate, to change the blade, you
remove one screw (it can only go back in one place), let the blade fall
out onto a safe surface (not your foot!), slide a new blade in and
replace the screw.

Yes, that's *lots* better than the other cutters I've had before now,
where I had to take everything apart, laying it all out in order so as
to get it back together again correctly. Yay!

[...]

Jo's Annual Christmas Joke Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 3 December 12th 08 08:46 PM
Frank's Annual Gift List Frank Reid Quilting 26 December 26th 07 07:19 PM
The Annual Christmas Jokes polly esther Quilting 23 December 14th 06 01:36 PM
Christmas Wish List Tina Quilting 36 November 27th 05 07:13 PM
The Annual Christmas Rant :-) Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 4 December 2nd 03 04:43 AM