Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 24th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default Time for another Roll Call?

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I'll come out of lurkdom to add another brit to this branch of the
thread.

I'm Karen, mum of two teens, describes as "an engineer on hormones" by
my DH
(If he had wanted a domesticated wife he shouldn't havemarried an
engineer)

Okay, I'm really puzzled. How did Karen manage to post as our Pat on the
Hill?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 24th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Okies, here goes:

My name is Sunny. I'm 52ish, married to the most wonderful man on
earth, have two sons who are grown but won't get out of my basement
(22 and 19). My only QI is my pup Jo who is 8 years old, of
undetermined parentage and will steal the food off your plate while
you're still sitting there if you don't watch out.

I was born and raised in Texas, met my DH in Arkansas where we both
had our first jobs out of college, moved to Arizona (DH was from
there) and lived for 20 years, now living in a small town in North
Central Washington smack between Seattle and Spokane. I never sewed,
ever. Was persuaded to take a quilt class with a friend a couple years
after I moved here. It was interesting. I never finished the project
but managed to drop and break the cheap little sewing machine I bought
when I was pregnant with son #1 (now 22) because I thought all mother
had to sew. A year or so later I found myself with a medically forced
retirement. I wrote for a living -- daily newspapers and later
freelance work writing, doing pr, making online stuff and setting up
email newsletters. To keep from going bonkers I pulled out the fabric
(which I have always loved and always had some, regardless of the fact
that I didn't do anything with it) and bought a couple books and
decided to start quilting. My mom mailed me a good sewing machine and
I was in business. I piddled a bit and then about two years ago I got
serious about art quilts. I now divide my sewing time between making
baby quilts to give to our local agencies that deal with families in
crisis and working on art quilts. I've had one quilt accepted into a
juried show that is traveling around right now, heavens knows where.
I'm a bit miffed that my quilt is traveling more than I am.

If you want to see my work, it's on flickr.com at this URL:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetexsun/

So that's me in an nutshell and I'm having quite a good time reading
over everybody's stories. I also am curious how Karen posted as Pat on
the Hill. It's gotta be a good story.

Sunny
Old April 24th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh blow!
I thought I was being so clever getting Karen's post to this thread -
and I did ggg
Karen's post came to my e-mail instead of RCTQ. Well, you know how
'techno geekless' I am, so I had to stop and think of possible
solutions. I am getting more success lately with 'copy and paste'.
There was no 'copy' on the screen, but I found one under 'edit'!! So I
highlighted the post and pressed 'copy', then came to the NG and at the
top of Sally's post I pressed 'paste' - and it appeared g I was so
flushed with success that I forgot to delete my sig (well, let's face
it, didn't think of it!!.).
..
In message , Sandy
writes

Okay, I'm really puzzled. How did Karen manage to post as our Pat on the
Hill?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 24th 09, 09:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa[_3_]

Well I am a single mom of 4... 3 boys and a cutie daughter who will be six
next saturday. I graduated university last year and have been working as a
psychiatric social worker ever since, first as a case manager in a temp
position, then in January I got a full time permanent one I try to quilt
in spare time, but I must admit that was easier when I was still a student.
I have like 8 tops waited for me to sandwhich sigh.... but the ultimate
procrastinator that I am... I am working on two new tops as we speak lol.
One I may or may not ever finsh its so repetitive and I lose interest to
fast for all those itty bitty picky parts. And the other is from a new
ruler I bought at a local quilt show for strip tubing... way too much fun
I have recently discovered that I, who cant even hand sew on a button, love
hand quilting.... So those tops may get done soon, especially if it stays
cold out, nice warm quilt on my lap while watching tv sounds lovely
Anyhow... I am currently living in the lower mainland area of BC Canada,
right on the Washington border, its only a few blocks from my house. I was
born in Southern Cali though, and even spent time in the US Navy back when I
was 18-20. It was during my time with my aunts in . Cali that I learned a
love of quilts, though it wasnt until after my daughter was born that I ever
picked up a sewing needle. I also make my own soap, and like to do beeswax
candles. I can do the other types but prefer the creating of the wax over
pouring. And I can crochet. I briefly tried my hand at beading but again
with the repetitive nature of it all, I gave up right quick . I have a
webshots albums of my kids and my quilts, but I cant find the url atm and I
simply must head for bed, so look me up as elywyn if you wanna see.

Carissa

Old April 24th 09, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Welcome Karen via Pat - good to see another Brit. I too have a hoard of
USO's - I collect the fabrics, sort them all out, think about them,
imagine them, and then make myself go back to the UFOs, but every now
and then one slips through. I could probably have finished a couple of
UFOs while I've been imagining.

Unfortunately I was brought up to be terrified of sums!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Patti wrote:
I'll come out of lurkdom to add another brit to this branch of the thread.

I'm Karen, mum of two teens, describes as "an engineer on hormones" by
my DH
(If he had wanted a domesticated wife he shouldn't havemarried an engineer)

I came to patchwork via a love of mathmatics and geometry and the need
for a creative outlet to indulge myself in whilst sitting arround
waiting for DDs various activites to finish.

I am definitely in the stash-building phase of my patchwork career...
several USOs ( un-started objects) - who am I kidding MANY USOs await
the time real-life slows down a bit and i can get some sewing time in.

I'm in outer SW London

My QIs are Rustle & Ziggy ( 2 ginger and white toms - I wanted to call
them Sat and Nav but that was rejected as too "clever" by the rest of my
family), HRH Sox ( black & white lady cat & ruler of the roost) and
Bramble a cavalier king charles spaniel - the wussiest dog in the world.

Chocolate - yes please - preferably with nuts in it.

Teen taming and other domestic engineering tasks fill most of my
time...and I spend a lot of time lurking here.

I would love to find a quilt guild around here...

Enough about me...who is next?

Karen

In message , Sally Swindells
writes
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

Retired 9 years ago to the Suffolk coast in Eastern England so am of
advanced years!!

Two grown up children, neither still at home. Richard 35 this year has
lived with his girlfriend and her three children for 6 years so it
seems pretty permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!).
Rachel is 39 this year and lives with her husband Tim, an airline
pilot, in central England. Tim recently got a job flying out of
Leipzig, German, so they may move, but who knows.

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - watches birds, rings birds
for migration stats, does conservation work,etc., so I am left to
stitch, and garden. Garden is about to enter its completely weed free
week (wont last!) so perhaps next week I can sew!

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a 12 year old white cat with a grey
tabby mask, hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by his side-kick Mia
who is black and white and almost three - a nervious little thing, but
in love with Hodge. Mia isn't really interested in quilts though.
Mia's brother Kiwi shows great promise in the inspecting line. He was
supposed to be all black, hence his name (the New Zealanders will
understand). However, he is a bit of a clown so in the winter grows a
long very fluffy brownish fringe around his body, a big mane like a
lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black face and legs
though! In the summer he loses the extra coat all over my creamy
carpet and becomes almost short-haired.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

Webshots is fairly up-to-date as I am behind as usual so had little to
add. The Starry Night top is there from Jessamy's swap. - where are
you Jessamy, we miss you. Piccies are in the Finished album - so I'd
better finish them!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, and as I couldn't go to
weigh-in this morning better make sure I take a bit off for next week.
Unofficially taste has changed to dark chocolate with age, but
anything will do!

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

Old April 24th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 23, 1:22*pm, Patti wrote:
I'll join you Sally - not often two Brits get together here!!

I, too, use loads of exclamation marks. *I have decided that just as the
French and Italians speak with gestures, we write/speak with exclamation
marks. *I honestly could get by without them g

I live in a very rural part of England - far west, half way up, almost
into Wales. *We live 100ft up, on a sort of 'saddle' between the two
highest points in Shropshire.

I am retired, and sew as often as I can. *I try to garden, but we have
nearly 2 acres (though much of it is left wild), and the 'soil' is
brick-making clay. It is quite a cold climate here, but much wetter than
Sally's. *She would beat us hands down on cold winds!

I have four beautiful rabbits - two girls and two boys, who live in
large homes within a luxuriously appointed 'shed' (said shed had an
extension a few years ago so they could have longer hutches!! - shed man
said he's never heard of such a thing g). *We also have five cats:
four are getting on in age and so we adopted our new kitten - now nearly
10 months old.

I love motor racing (Formula 1 and World Rally), and love it when,
watching a race, I make a comment that is then made by the official
commentator!

I am quite shy and have to hide it when in company. *I prefer home-based
activities. *I am trying to allow time to play the piano (digital)
again.
.
[...]

Well, here is another man on the street response; Or should I say man
at the sewing machine. I'm John, and I love to make traditional,
pieced quilts with a sewing machine. I am 67 years old and married,
for lo these 36 years, to my wife, Lois, otherwise known as, Conan the
Grammarian. The other corner of this domestic triangle is Maggie, the
Happy-go-Licky Airedale, who completes this household.
We live in a large, late Victorian House, that I have completely
remodeled, since our move here, 10 years ago, in North Central Ohio,
in a small village that has mostly wide streets, and mostly narrow
minds. Quite a change from our previous lifestyle in the San Francisco
Bay Area, where we lived for 45 years and I worked as a remodeling
contractor and custom furniture maker. My wife worked as a Editorial
Services director, for a Legal publisher, for thirty years. I
discovered quilting a couple of years ago when I finally had the
space to devote to a sewing room for myself. I had sewn clothes for
myself and my wife for a very long time, but always using the kitchen
table and other less than perfect environments, to accomplish that.
Now that I have a dedicated space, I have finally found my true
calling, and have unleashed a flood of quilts to satisfy all the
relatives who continue to produce offspring at an alarming rate, and
other friends who seem to like what I produce for them. I have
recently discovered the need for Quilts for Veterans, and am in the
process of engaging in an effort to provide quilts to the Veterans who
have given so much of themselves. I spend most of my time sewing
something that both gives me pleasure and makes somebody else happy,
and that is not a bad thing. I have really enjoyed the interaction
with this group, and the diverse and creative people, who provide a
window into the larger world of quilting. Being a man, who quilts, is,
to say the least, a bit different, here in the American Midwest. This
group provides me with a communication outlet in an area that I am
deeply interested in, and I value it far more than any other element
of the larger internet community. I just want to say, Thank You, for
being so accepting and helpful and I hope that I have returned the
effort, in whatever way I could.

John
Old April 24th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Hey John! Did you see there's a Paducah winner 9-patch? Thought that
would make you smile. Polly

"John" wroteWell, here is another man on the street response; Or should I

Old April 24th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

I am Val. I am an old broad who lives in the far Northwest corner of the
USA. If I were any further northwest-er I'd be a Canadian with wet feet. I'm
not allowed to reveal much more about my identity since I have been thrust
into a very closely monitored Witness Protection Program. That happened
because those who have actually witnessed any of my quilting demanded
protection. ~hanging head and mumbling~ .....and sometimes I am over come
with envy and do shameless, albeit fruitless, begs for purple quilts and
swipe little packets of M&Ms from the Halloween bags of sleeping children.

Val

Old April 24th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I am Polly Esther, also part of the Witness Protection Program and we don't
know where we live. Hurricane Katrina washed away the old land records but
we believe we're either in Alabama or Mississippi in the Swamp. You can't
get there from here. The Swamp is populated with 8,500 gators, give or take
a few including 50 known escapees during spring break.
There is only one QI here. Our Yorkie - Yogi - was raised by a senile
Tom cat. He carefully inspects anything within his reach for optimum
nappability. Ironing anything that hangs to the floor is simply out of the
question.
DH and I have celebrated or ignored all anniversaries on record and
still enjoy each other. Just yesterday, he asked me to get him some
butterscotch soap. No problem. After more than 60 years together, I knew
what he meant. Cocoa butter.
With generous support from friends, I stitch nearly a hundred quilts a
year for needing babies. I try to make every one of them special; the
babies are. Polly

"Val" wroteI am Val. I am an old broad who lives in the far Northwest

Old April 24th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 24, 9:28*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Hey John! * Did you see there's a Paducah winner 9-patch? * Thought that
would make you smile. *Polly.

I did indeed. Makes a body proud, to know that there are still some of
us traditionalists are still competitive in this Art Quilt world.

John

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 03:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 03:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 06:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM