Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 23rd 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Time for another Roll Call?

Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

Retired 9 years ago to the Suffolk coast in Eastern England so am of
advanced years!!

Two grown up children, neither still at home. Richard 35 this year has
lived with his girlfriend and her three children for 6 years so it seems
pretty permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 39
this year and lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central
England. Tim recently got a job flying out of Leipzig, German, so they
may move, but who knows.

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - watches birds, rings birds
for migration stats, does conservation work,etc., so I am left to
stitch, and garden. Garden is about to enter its completely weed free
week (wont last!) so perhaps next week I can sew!

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a 12 year old white cat with a grey
tabby mask, hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by his side-kick Mia who
is black and white and almost three - a nervious little thing, but in
love with Hodge. Mia isn't really interested in quilts though. Mia's
brother Kiwi shows great promise in the inspecting line. He was supposed
to be all black, hence his name (the New Zealanders will understand).
However, he is a bit of a clown so in the winter grows a long very
fluffy brownish fringe around his body, a big mane like a lion and an
enormous tail. He retains his pitch black face and legs though! In the
summer he loses the extra coat all over my creamy carpet and becomes
almost short-haired.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

Webshots is fairly up-to-date as I am behind as usual so had little to
add. The Starry Night top is there from Jessamy's swap. - where are you
Jessamy, we miss you. Piccies are in the Finished album - so I'd better
finish them!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, and as I couldn't go to
weigh-in this morning better make sure I take a bit off for next week.
Unofficially taste has changed to dark chocolate with age, but anything
will do!

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old April 23rd 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'll join you Sally - not often two Brits get together here!!

I, too, use loads of exclamation marks. I have decided that just as the
French and Italians speak with gestures, we write/speak with exclamation
marks. I honestly could get by without them g

I live in a very rural part of England - far west, half way up, almost
into Wales. We live 100ft up, on a sort of 'saddle' between the two
highest points in Shropshire.

I am retired, and sew as often as I can. I try to garden, but we have
nearly 2 acres (though much of it is left wild), and the 'soil' is
brick-making clay. It is quite a cold climate here, but much wetter than
Sally's. She would beat us hands down on cold winds!

I have four beautiful rabbits - two girls and two boys, who live in
large homes within a luxuriously appointed 'shed' (said shed had an
extension a few years ago so they could have longer hutches!! - shed man
said he's never heard of such a thing g). We also have five cats:
four are getting on in age and so we adopted our new kitten - now nearly
10 months old.

I love motor racing (Formula 1 and World Rally), and love it when,
watching a race, I make a comment that is then made by the official
commentator!

I am quite shy and have to hide it when in company. I prefer home-based
activities. I am trying to allow time to play the piano (digital)
again.
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 23rd 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

snip

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

I'll go next -- and I also use far too many exclamation marks. G We
lived in Arizona until about ten years ago, when I retired and we moved
to this area to be nearer to the grandchildren (only one at the time,
though).

I used to be a high school French teacher, and DH Mike was the high
school principal. In the small town where we lived, there was only one
high school. G

We have two DDs, almost 35 and just-turned 33. They are both married,
though the younger one is in the middle of a divorce, sadly. The elder
has three children: boy 10, boy 8, and girl almost 2. The younger DD has
two boys, aged 8 and almost 5. The elder DD and her DH are both teachers
in a middle school here, and the younger DD does financial planning. Her
soon-to-be ex works at Hoover Dam here.

While DH is officially retired, he has a part-time job supervising
student teachers through the university here. It keeps him out of
trouble. When he's not doing that, he likes to hang out at one of the
sports books here, where he can watch a zillion different sporting
events at once and relieve me of the sound of the channel flipping.
VBG I'm not a sports fan.

We're down to one QI now -- Bisou, our adorable cocker spaniel, will be
two in May. She has an unfortunately addiction to leather and has left
several of her marks on our leather sofas, but we're hoping that she'll
outgrow that with time. Meanwhile, we crate her when away and don't give
her the opportunity to misbehave in that way again.

I used to sew lots of clothing for myself (starting when I was fairly
young), for the two DDs and even for Mike; but I've given that up in
favor of quilting. I started by machine piecing and hand quilting, but
I've expanded my repertoire into machine appliqué (a little) and machine
quilting (a lot). I'm hoping to add hand appliqué at some point, but so
far that's been unsuccessful. Oh, and I do a bit of hand piecing, too,
when I want to work on my Quilted Diamonds. At any rate, I've been
quilting now for over 25 years, and I can't see myself stopping anytime
soon. There are so many new techniques to try that the variety keeps
me going.

Next?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 23rd 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

DH and I are moth retired, but spend the winters in Central Florida, and the
summer we are back home in SC. DH used to work with an airline, I used to
work with the county with challenged adults.

I have a blind aunt who lives in assisted living who I love to take with me
for breakfast and shopping. Her 2 son's spend week end time with her. I
make bags for her walker, and also a bag to hang around her neck to hold her
hearing aid so she can play balloon games using her hands.

I've been sewing since making my doll clothes, but didn't start making my
clothes until I learned in high school and then I took off and made most
everything. I have a dauchund QI who is 2, and my son's dog, Troll,a black
mostly collie & Newfoundland is a bit younger and stays here most of the
time. Both are rescued dogs, and love to lay at my feet when I sew.

In the past few years I made a few lap quilts, but it seems that most of my
sewing is for the retirement home. The last 3 years I have taught 5 people
to sew. I enjoy passing along my skills. A friend is coming to my house in
a couple of days to learn to use her serger.

Next?
Barbara in SC

Old April 23rd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

On Apr 23, 9:53*am, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

SNIP
So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Okay, ya talked me into it! My name is Launie (pronounced Law-knee)
and until recently widowed in November I was married for twelve
years. We have five kids altogether, his, hers and ours, but usually
I just got my order...so there's the oldest, Felicia is 20, Tate (aka
Terry) is 20, Ronnie is 19, Zach is 18, and then there is are baby
together, Hunter is 9.
The only one who lives at home with me is Hunter. Felicia is
attending college a couple hrs from here, Tate is starting college
this fall (hopefully), and Zach is graduating high school this June
and is currently attending college also.

I have five furry butts, but only four are actual QI's. First comes
Olive who is a tortoise shell calico and she prefers to be outdoors,
then we got Corki who is a two year old Corgi/weiner mix, then came
Gabby (tabby) and her sister, Night (black, although in the sunlight
she looks more chocolate brown and looks like a tabby too.)

I have lived in this house since I've been with my DH...we compromised
and found a house in the middle of where we both lived. It's in the
timberlands and I love it. My own little retreat, except for I do the
cleaning, cooking, etc....

I do not currently work, although I do plan on starting college in the
fall and may have to find a job one day a week or something till I can
sell the handicapped van...sigh

I first started out sewing making clothes for myself along with simple
tied quilts, then I purchased a rotary cutter, mat such and my stash
as increased because I HATE to depart with anything....hence the
1000's of cross stitch booklets I haven't used in twenty years...hey,
I might get back to it one day! lol

I grew up as a navy brat, which means I never stayed in one place for
over two years and if I was really lucky it would be two years! There
are pros and cons to this lifestyle and although I love to travel I
also love the idea of belonging somewhere! I enjoy belonging to this
group/ with this group...whichever the case may be.
I haven't sewed since my DH passed, but am getting back to it, or at
least getting closer and closer...

I also love to garden, read, cook, and sleep. I don't know why I love
to sleep, maybe the cuddling of my blankets and being warm! lol

Can't think of any more things to say, although I know there's more...
Launie, in Oregon
Old April 23rd 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'll come out of lurkdom to add another brit to this branch of the
thread.

I'm Karen, mum of two teens, describes as "an engineer on hormones" by
my DH
(If he had wanted a domesticated wife he shouldn't havemarried an
engineer)

I came to patchwork via a love of mathmatics and geometry and the need
for a creative outlet to indulge myself in whilst sitting arround
waiting for DDs various activites to finish.

I am definitely in the stash-building phase of my patchwork career...
several USOs ( un-started objects) - who am I kidding MANY USOs await
the time real-life slows down a bit and i can get some sewing time in.

I'm in outer SW London

My QIs are Rustle & Ziggy ( 2 ginger and white toms - I wanted to call
them Sat and Nav but that was rejected as too "clever" by the rest of my
family), HRH Sox ( black & white lady cat & ruler of the roost) and
Bramble a cavalier king charles spaniel - the wussiest dog in the world.

Chocolate - yes please - preferably with nuts in it.

Teen taming and other domestic engineering tasks fill most of my
time...and I spend a lot of time lurking here.

I would love to find a quilt guild around here...

Enough about me...who is next?

Karen

In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Old April 23rd 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Sally Swindells wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

Hello folks,

I'm still Jo in Scotland, but live in St. Andrews now, not Dundee. It's
just "over the water" and through the woods, but going from a city of
180,000 to one of 18,000 is like returning to the village I grew up in.
I like the slower pace of life in Fife and the friendly folks. Plus
the University has a big presence, a much bigger impact on the
population in Dundee, and I feel buoyed up by youth and hope and all
that, which is often lacking in Dundee.

I recently combined my two-cat family (Poppy, a female ginger tabby cat,
and Daisy, her black-n-white tuxedo sister cat) to Mark's one-cat family
(Tara, who is a calico and about 16). Mine just turned 3 in January.
It's gone surprisingly well, but Tara does not "play" which disappoints
my two kitties. Tara sees their games as pathetic, and looks on them
with evident scorn. Fortunately the house has 3 stories and each cat
has claimed a level of her own. Hmm. Combining 3 female cats into one
happy household is not for the faint of heart!

I finished my postgraduate law course last summer, just as the economy
hit the floor, so I'm about to start work as a receptionist at the
University. It's not what I hoped for, but it will be nice to be able to
walk to work, 5 minutes from the house, and to earn some money. Mmm, a
fabric fund (if only - I'll be paying off student debts!)

I have unearthed many UFOs while tidying my boxes (the stash is still
not unpacked since the move, in late October) and have done a bit of
work on a couple of them. I did complete 2 new quilts for Mark's
nephews at Christmas. They were I-spy squares on the front and orange
fleece on the back. Bound with black, which turned out very classy.
Quick to dry and cuddly. They went down well with the 4-year-old and
the 7-month old. I'm making a matching cushion for the younger boy's
birthday in early May. I've set up an Etsy shop where I hope to display
and quite possibly sell some of my fabric creations. If you would like
to have a look, it's he http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5170927

Chocolate of any kind is welcome, but I don't like white chocolate and
it doesn't really qualify as "chocolate" anyway, since it is a mix of
cocoa butter, vanilla, sugar, etc. Mark is allergic to nuts, so I get
all the nut-based food that comes into the house.

Mark is an IT systems manager, who has a surprisingly good grasp of
quilting after his rapid immersion in the subject and can identify
various elements such as half-square triangles, etc when quizzed. He
recently was given a quilt (made by me) where every fabric on the front
features quite realistic spiders. The thing gives me the creeps. It
seems to move by itself. The backing is very realistic spiders on
black. I keep it covered with a blue bedspread during the day. It's a
boy's dream of a quilt. He has been asking me make a quilt with various
submarines on it. Erm, I'll just add that to my already massive "to do"
list then. But his birthday is coming up in early May, and I'm using
next week (he's away in Italy at a conference) to make his birthday
present without fear of interruption or discovery.

Think that's about all.....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old April 23rd 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Sally Swindells wrote:
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

I'm a retired software engineer who's been quilting off and on for 35+
years. I started sewing clothing over 50 years ago and have tried all
kinds of needlework. I'm pretty much self-taught. I haven't done much
clothing or other needlework since I discovered rotary cutters about 20
years ago. I so mostly machine piecing and machine quilting, though I do
find hand quilting relaxing and I've recently fallen in love with hand
applique.

I've been married for almost 42 years and have a son & a daughter. Both
are married. We have 4 grandkids ranging in age from 8-1/2 years to 2
years. We're fortunate to live only about 1-1/2 hr. from them all, so
can see them with some regularity.

I have no pets. My favorite chocolate is very dark.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default

Old April 24th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Sally Swindells wrote:

I currently live in southern NV--over the hump in Pahrump from Sandy in
Las Vegas. The Spring Mountains separate us--hence the hump. ;-)

I fell in love with quilting when I was just a kid and enjoyed seeing
the different fabrics in my great grandmother's scrappy patchwork.
Scrappy quilts are my first love. I actually began quilting as a young
adult. At first I was quite traditional and hand-pieced and
hand-quilted. I still love the look of hand-pieced/hand-quilted quilts,
but having more ideas than I have time for, I've been working on sewing
machine skills. I'll start to practice FM in earnest soon. However,
there is a quilt that I'm hand-piecing now.... :-)

I've also developed an interest in sewing recently.

I have one QI, a black cat with a white belly named Charley. Every time
I lay a quilt out, he has to test it--whether I want him to or not!

I live with my extended family--parents and elderly grandparents who
recently joined us. My grandparents are in their mid-80's. I am the
"family organizer". I have no children, but the adults in this family
keep me busier than I could ever imagine. ;-)

Next?

Best regards,
Michelle in NV

Old April 24th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

OK, I'll play.

I am one of the males on the list (Hi John and Steve). Started sewing
back in 92 making kites and bags for the kites. Started quilting 3
years ago. My wife was never so happy to see me start sewing so she no
longer has to. Also like to ride my bicycle (helps keep the weight off
from too much chocolate lol) I have 2 kids (29 yo son and 26 yo
daughter) and a beautiful granddaughter (17 months). Can't wait till
she is old enough to teach her to sew with me. 2 dogs, a bichon and a chow.

I am a salesman living in Indiana and traveling all over Ohio, my wife
teaches 1st grade. 55 years young. Spend most of my sewing time making
purses and diaper bags lately, so can't finish any of my quilt projects.

If the official chocolate inspector is too busy, feel free to send it to
me and I will do my best to help out : )

--
Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 03:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 03:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 06:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM