Local quilt show: observations

Old August 19th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default The K-Mart special

On Aug 19, 9:04*am, "Anna Belle" wrote:
K Mart bought Sears (I think) a couple of years ago. *Both now sell
the same brands. *After or just before the buyout, a lot of K Mart
stores closed their doors.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay where we have the sole K Mart store remaining
in Brevard County.

I don't think we have any K-Marts left. We lost Woolworth's way back
in
the mid-80's. Target seems to be going strong, with "super stores"
now,
like Walmart.
Does anyone else remember the dime stores called "Ben Franklin" and
"Kress"?

Sherry
Old August 19th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Sherry wrote:

I don't think we have any K-Marts left. We lost Woolworth's way back
in
the mid-80's. Target seems to be going strong, with "super stores"
now,
like Walmart.
Does anyone else remember the dime stores called "Ben Franklin" and
"Kress"?

We still have K-Mart here. And I do indeed remember Ben Franklin and
Kress, both of which lasted for a long time in the small town in Arizona
where we used to live. In fact, the fabric for one of my first quilts
came from Ben Franklin. The fabric is falling apart, unfortunately; I
bought it before I knew about the different grades of greige goods.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old August 19th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default blue light - special

Howdy!

Kmart hauled themselves out of here years ago; however,
they didn't remove their ads from broadcasting. g
Mr.Blue Light (he's Special!) is their pitch-bulb:
http://www.kmart.com/
http://tinyurl.com/nomwm8
http://tinyurl.com/kurc73

I don't shop at wallyworld, either: don't have to, can't make me!

R/Sandy - quilting away in sunny, scorching north Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgdWzL6lev0

On 8/18/09 4:16 PM, in article , "Julia in
MN" wrote:

I haven't seen a blue light at K-mart for a long time, and I shop there
with some regularity.

Julia in MN

Mickie Swall wrote:
Lets keep these stores sorted, John, the "blue light"
belongs to KMart, not Walmart!

Mickie

snip the converse of that argument is, "I made a design
choice by choosing one of many quilts for sale at Wallmart,
buying the quilt and I now I want to enter it in the show". (A
blue light special in creativity in Isle 3)
John

Old August 19th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Local quilt show: be ye kind

Howdy!

Returning from Ft.Worth today,
coming down ol' Mansfield Hwy, there it is: Polly's Tavern.
Building has seen better days, but there was quite a bit of traffic
in the parking lot. Said to myself: "Of course! She prob'ly comes
by to give quilting lessons & deliver cover-ups to the needy little ones."

R/Sandy- remembering a couple of bumper stickers at the truck stop:
"be kind to your kids: they'll be deciding when to pull the plug"
& "be kind to your kids: they'll be picking out the coffin"
...so endearing...

On 8/18/09 8:15 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

Glad you like my online name - for obvious reasons I need to cloak my
identity. I enjoyed your thoughtful post, even if you were procrastinating.
Procrastination is good; one day the thing that Must be Done will go away.
It could happen.
As to being kind, my sister signs her posts with:

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
of battle.'

Every time I see it, I'm glad for the reminder. Polly

"Edna Pearl" wrote...
You crack me up, Polly, from your screen name to your pithy post. And I
agree with you.

*Friendly snipping & a Howdy to Edna Pearl

Old August 19th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

On Aug 19, 9:04=A0am, "Anna Belle" wrote:
K Mart bought Sears (I think) a couple of years ago. =A0Both now sell
the same brands. =A0After or just before the buyout, a lot of K Mart
stores closed their doors.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay where we have the sole K Mart store remaining
in Brevard County.

I don't think we have any K-Marts left. We lost Woolworth's way back
in
the mid-80's. Target seems to be going strong, with "super stores"
now,
like Walmart.
Does anyone else remember the dime stores called "Ben Franklin" and
"Kress"?

We used to have a Ben Franklin. Woolworths was one of the anchor
stores when the mall was first built. We had a Murphy's for the
longest time too.
I miss being able to go to Murphy's and being able to get button
twist, school supplies, a goldfish, and lunch (including an honest to
goodness made right in front of you ice cream soda with genuine ice
cream), and still have change for the Lion's Club gumball machine.
And not one iota of anything came from China.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old August 21st 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

i wasn't going to chime in, but, quilting is an art form, no one will
dispute this. therefore, all artists do not create the same and who
are we, any of us, to judge what another person deems necessary or
chooses to do with their creations.
myself, i love SITD, i also love machine quilting and crossing over
the seams. i love artsy quilts and traditional patchwork.
it's all beautiful.
let's all lighten up and enjoy the work we do and share.

amy in CNY

Our local show Sandy Quilting 25 February 11th 08 08:47 PM
Local quilt show - Rochester, MN Julia in MN Quilting 1 September 29th 07 08:42 PM
Happy dance - kites quilt in local show No Name Quilting 3 May 16th 07 03:51 AM
Local Quilt Show teleflora Quilting 6 September 5th 04 05:38 AM
Our local quilt show (long) Sandy Foster Quilting 10 April 20th 04 02:00 PM