OT Wedding Announcement

Old September 9th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default OT Wedding Announcement

People are always free to participate or not, regardless of the degree of
formality of an invitation. Invitations are just that, a message asking
friends to attend an event. Announcements are usually sent after the event,
to inform friends of the new union. Parents or the couple generally choose
one or the other, but some may send invitations to a very small group, and
the announcements to the larger circle of friends. Mm, what do you mean by
'extent'? A guest will either attend an event or not, so I am confused, but
that is nothing new. Thanks.

PAT, procrastinating

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
I think that nowadays some "youngsters" are choosing to announce their
wedding without the formal invitation, so that people can choose
whether they want to participate and to what extent. It frees people
from any obligation yet at the same time informs them of the new
union. I kinda like the idea, myself.

Musicmaker

Old September 9th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Taria wrote:
I am confused. YOu use the word etiquette oddly to me. DO you mean
proper etiquette, good etiquette or bad etiquette? Around here it is
proper to send a gift but not bring it to the wedding. A gift should
never be expected IMO. I give what is in my budget, not what I think
is expected. I surely would rather get nothing than have folks spending
what is above their means or something they had to charge.
BTW, a note with a list or registry really isn't discreet.

Bother I even managed to forget that bit - it really seems to have
drifted so much from that in practice that maybe we are getting to the
point of having redefined ettiquette. I would say that we got less than
10% of the gifts sent rather than brought to the wedding and that was
even with the store that had the list offering free delivery, people
still didn't use it! To be honest I think that few people (at least in
England) in their 20s even know that that is how you are supposed to
give a gift to a couple getting married and if you have the reception
somewhere like a hotel, where someone is setting everything up, they
will routinely set up a gift table.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 9th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

It's always wise to know the local customs. It still horrifies me
that wedding guests can be requested to dress in colours chosen by the
bride, and that bridesmaids pay for their own gowns in the USA. Here it
is still the norm that these whole outfits (shoes, dress, headdress, any
bag they carry, but not usually the undies) are all paid for by the
bride (or her parents), and their flowers, like all the flowers, are
paid for by the groom. It is still the norm that the groom buys the
bridesmaids a little gift. Jewelery is traditional.

I'm not sure if that is a US/UK difference, I had 3 bridesmaids, 2 of
which were friends and the other was a younger sibling. It became
obvious at some point that they were expecting to pay for their dresses,
when we had no such intentions, even though we actually chose off the
rack evening dresses that they got to keep and I know they then wore
several times. My mum suggested it was probably best if they paid for
their own shoes, I don't know if that was right or not, I'm not sure if
shoes count as personal items or not! As it turned out they liked the
shoes so much they went out and bought them in another colour as well
(this is all sounding rather wierd now, but both friends did this, I
remember going out for an evening about 18 months after the wedding and
they were both wearing the wedding shoes in black!).

My husband did buy them a gift and it was jewellery!

Cheers
Anne
Old September 9th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Musicmaker wrote:
I think that nowadays some "youngsters" are choosing to announce their
wedding without the formal invitation, so that people can choose
whether they want to participate and to what extent. It frees people
from any obligation yet at the same time informs them of the new
union. I kinda like the idea, myself.

If the ceremony is in a church, at least in a church in the UK, you
can't really control who comes to the church, a church is a public
place, not somewhere private where you control who comes in and who
doesn't. For this reason, my understanding is you can't invite someone
only to the ceremony and not to a reception, hence if you are having a
limit on the reception and there are people who you know who might like
to come to the ceremony, but you can't manage to invite to the
reception, you can't sent them an invite and therefore an annoucement is
a possible way of letting them know.

There has been a sort of tradition at the church we got married at where
the Sunday before, it's put in the bullitin, which covers a lot of
people as often that is a major part of the group of people you are
friendly with but aren't quite close enough to to invite.

Another issue is parental expectations, my parents had around 50 people
at their wedding, they got married in my mother's home town, which
wasn't where either of them were living, so it was relatives and close
friends adding to that total.

We got married in the city I had been living for 5 years and my husband
3 years, which meant in addition to family there were lots of friends
who we would have liked to invite, in part just because of the time in
life we got married and partly because I think we are a bit more
outgoing than my parents (who had a small and well defined group of
friends who still meet once a year, 30 years later). So once we'd listed
my family, his family (large), friends of the family, my parents were
only expecting 10 or so more, when we could easily have listed 50 or 60
and would have been quite happy to have a cheaper reception and other
cost cuts so we could do that, but that would have meant not having the
reception in a hotel where they did all the work and my parents didn't
want to go for an option where there was lots of work to do - I've been
to some excellent weddings like that, but it does create a lot of work
and you need lots of willing volunteers.

We have one daughter, she's 3, so we don't have to worry yet about a
wedding fund :-).

Anne
Old September 9th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Nor mine, Sally g
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
Don't thinks they'd welcome my aged and not very beautiful feet. Much
better covered up!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 9th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Patti wrote:
Nor mine, Sally g

Me feets is OK, but the legs is better hidden - like those of a
Victorian billiards table!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 9th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Smile!
..
In message , Kate
XXXXXX writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 9th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I absolutely love getting an invite with a registry list. It means I
don't even have to think of something to get the couple. Just walk into
the store with the list, find an item in my price range, wrap it up, and
VOILA, I know it's something they wanted. I don't have to call someone
to ask about colors, or sizes, etc.

When my favorite little cousin got married a few years ago, I couldn't
decide at all what to get for her or whether I'd give money. The invite
came with a gift registry card. One stop shopping is great, I walked
into the store, picked up the bread machine for her shower and the stand
mixer for her wedding. Quick, easy, done. She had picked things in a
price range from $5 to a couple hundred. She received even the most
expensive items on her list as co-workers pitched in to get the more
expensive things.

I sure wish gift registries had been available to me 38 years ago, I
still have 2 unused fondue sets in the attic. I had more monogramed
ashtrays (we don't smoke) daisy-shaped candy dishes, three-tiered neon
orange cake servers than we knew what to do with.

Etiquette to me is more than following some ancient set of rules that
don't always adapt well to today's society, but more to make life more
relaxed and pleasant for the folks around us.

The most fun I've had with a gift registry was one for a sporting goods
store. The couple were avid campers, but had been using old hand me
down equipment. They received a tent, screen house, Coleman stove with
pots and pans, and even a copper fire pit for their backyard. Way more
useful than my monogrammed ashtray.

Denise

Old September 9th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Mom used the 'unused' ashtrays for holding pins when she was hemming our
skirts, by the SM, by the sink to hold her wedding ring when she did dishes
and by her bed after her hands started swelling at night, and those are the
first places that come to mind.

HTH
Butterfly (Who doesn't have an astray in the house)

Old September 9th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

No ashtrays here either (I actually threw out the wedding gift
ashtray, a few years after that person stopped sending Christmas
cards.) One of the nicest things I have ever received (gift from a
very good friend) is a ceramic tray just big enough to hold a pair of
glasses. It sits next to one of my customary reading spots and keeps
those glasses from oozing off into oblivion. Seems like a good use for
a really solid ashtray, if it's big enough.
Roberta in D