OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

Old August 30th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default OT Fixing Tricia

Re the Guild. It took me awhile to get to know people when I joined the
Guild. You have to understand that most everyone there knows everyone else
or they have their special friends. There are quite probably several people
attending that are in the same boat as you are & don't know anyone. It
wasn't until I got really involved with my guild that I got to know people &
I've been a member for 3 years now & I'm still getting to know other
members. Currently, one of my hats is Volunteer Coordinator & I'm surprised
at the number of woman that are so happy to be asked to help out - but
wouldn't have volunteered on their own. You might have to step out of your
comfort zone a little to get to know the people & feel more comfortable.
--
Pauline
Northern California
"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...

volunteering: I see you said you do volunteer work but it sounds like
the work you are doing is all individual work. You need to work on a
team/comittee. If you are doing database & web sites you are working alone
and won't mmet ppl.

As for the guild: I would say try again, but if it's really not what you
want/expect, don't force yourself to go.

(hugs)

Old August 30th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

Default OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

I'm not much for make-up either but I would suggest you try a department
store cosmetic counter "make over". The classier the store the classier the
result is likely to be. The make-overs are often free since they will try to
sell their (expensive) products- worth it if you like the look & it will
help you get to kind of job you want. You might also want to try a spa
facial- feels good & they'll give you skin care advice. Both of these aren't
free. Expect they'll recommend $100-200 of cosmetics and about $50 for the
facial.

Jane in NE Ohio

Specific to the Woman v Girl thing, I know virtually nothing about make
up, let alone how to properly apply it so I don't look like clown or
tramp.

I suspect something that is hindering my ability to get hired lately is
the fact that I don't "do" make up and such

Besides the employment issue, I have been pondering trying to find out
how to "do" make up properly for a while now -- simply so I *can* do it
when the mood/situation strikes -- like going out for a nice evening
with my husband or to a wedding, etc.

Hence, realizing I have virtually no knowledge in an area many women
seem to have plenty, I thought I'd ask where that knowledge came
from...where did you learn it?

Pondering,
Tricia

Old September 1st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

Default OT FOIA requests

Witchy Stitcher wrote:
Many states publish their core curriculae on the web. New York State
has a core only for Math so far, but they have the learning standards
in all subject areas.

If that doesn't work, you should make a Freedom of Information request
for the curriculum even if you don't need it right now.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

DH says FOIA requests are only for the government or press.....is he
right or mistaken?

T.

PS - Michigan has less than stellar guidelines on the web but even that
is mostly just for the elementary level (my local district publishes on
their website their yearly expectations for grades up through and
including 5 but not higher). The case I was grumbling about was for
middle school.

Old September 1st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

(liberally snipped for space at points)
Roberta Zollner wrote:
According to experts in culture shock, 18 months to 2 years is right on the
button for adjustment time.

I've been here 13 months and a few days. I didn't feel this disconnect
when we first moved, that's part of what is irking me now.

The "cure" is to do less, spend some time on the
couch with a pot of tea and a good book, make sure you get extra sleep.
Roberta in D

Yeah, I'd like to be able to sleep a regular schedule for my body, let
alone more (lately I've done the wake up at 7 am thing and stay up --
so not me! I think my system is messed up by some meds I was on or
nerves or something). I've done the book and reading, piecing, etc.
route (good advice in general -- I'm just beyond that point now) and am
now stir crazy as all get out. Normally I like solitary activities but
not lately.

Well, just called DH to remind him to come home from work and when he
gets here I'm gonna make him take me around town looking for second
hand places, etc. Also to just drop off my application and letter at
the LQS.

Tricia

Old September 1st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

He is correct, but School Districts are a governmental angency. I've
made many requests to school districts.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY