Polly's gators

Old June 28th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default nana's new status

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

I had two Nanas and two Grandpas when I was growing up; we simply added
their last name to the title. When my turn to become a grandmother came,
I didn't want to have the same name as anyone else so that no other name
would have to be added -- probably silly, but that's how it is. G
Anyway, I'd wanted to be Nana to follow my family "tradition", but the
other grandmother was to be Nana (pronounced Nahnah, since it's in
Spanish), and I thought that might be confusing, especially since DMIL
is Nanny. LOL! So I eventually became Mémé. Can't find cutesy little
coffee mugs and that sort of thing with Mémé on them, but who cares? I'm
using a not-common-in-these-parts name, and that makes me unique.

OTOH, DH is Grandpa, as is the other grandfather of two of our DGSs. DH
is Grandpa, and the other one is Grandpa + first name. Works for us.

Odd, in my spanish speaking family Grandma is Abuelita.

At any rate my mexican grandparents went by Grandma Mary and Papa. My
other grandparents were grandma and grandpa with their last name added.

When my sister had the first grandchild her in-laws chose grandma and
grandpa with their first names added. My parents chose Granny and Pa as
their parents (and a great grandma) were still in the mix.

Later on of the animated Disney flicks came out on video and the evil
grandmother was called "granny". (snow white I think) My mom was
worried that the children would associate the two. Didn't happen though
:-)

marcella
aunt and great-aunt (and favorite aunt ;-)) but grandma is a ways off
Old June 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Marcella Peek wrote:
In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

[...]

In Danish, there is a distinction between paternal and maternal
grandparents built into the words.

Mormor = mother's mother
Morfar = mother's father
Farmor = father's mother
Farfar = father's father

Of course, these days many kids have more than 2 parents, I don't know
how they handle the grandparent naming then.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be "Auntie Hanne" to at least a few kids :-)

Hanne in London
Old June 28th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's a regionalism? All I know is that all of the grandparents in
the border town where we used to live were Nana and Tata -- as are the
ones related to two of my DGSs. Or perhaps it's a diminutive form --
much as a "grand-mère" in French may be called Mémé. Who knows?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 28th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article e7udt9$e3n$1@qmul, Hanne Gottliebsen
wrote:

In Danish, there is a distinction between paternal and maternal
grandparents built into the words.

Mormor = mother's mother
Morfar = mother's father
Farmor = father's mother
Farfar = father's father

Of course, these days many kids have more than 2 parents, I don't know
how they handle the grandparent naming then.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be "Auntie Hanne" to at least a few kids :-)

Hanne in London

I had a danish boyfriend once. His grandparents were bestomar and
bestofar (phonetic as I have no idea how it's really spelled) Have you
ever heard of that?

marcella
Old June 28th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

Odd, in my spanish speaking family Grandma is Abuelita.

Maybe it's a regionalism? All I know is that all of the grandparents in
the border town where we used to live were Nana and Tata -- as are the
ones related to two of my DGSs. Or perhaps it's a diminutive form --
much as a "grand-mère" in French may be called Mémé. Who knows?

Maybe. You never know what nicknames and such will become popular.
I'll have to ask my aunt (who actually goes by Abuelita with her
grandkids) if she's heard of those names. She lives in San Diego so
they may be popular there too.

marcella
Old June 28th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My niece and nephew call their other grandparents Nana and Tata.
They family has been in So. Cal. for at least 4 generations.

Taria

Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,

Old June 29th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My grandparents on my Mom's side were Oma & Opa. Both sides of my family
were German.

Linda in Tx

Old June 29th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

In Danish, there is a distinction between paternal and maternal
grandparents built into the words.

Mormor = mother's mother
Morfar = mother's father
Farmor = father's mother
Farfar = father's father

Of course, these days many kids have more than 2 parents, I don't know
how they handle the grandparent naming then.

Personally, I'm thrilled to be "Auntie Hanne" to at least a few kids :-)

Hanne in London

I had a danish boyfriend once. His grandparents were bestomar and
bestofar (phonetic as I have no idea how it's really spelled) Have you
ever heard of that?

marcella

Yep, those are the non-specific versions, so the same as
grandma/grandpa. Often, kids (or adults in their lives) will shorten
this to bedste for grandma.

They are also used as endearing terms for "little old lady/gentleman".

Hanne in London
Old June 29th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Polly's gators

Same thing happens here. David's former roommate keeps getting calls from
bill collectors here. The roommate hasn't lived here in at least 10 years
and the girlfiend never lived here.

Maureen

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:47:23 -0500, off kilter quilter wrote
(in article ) :

Adding to the list:

Ronald Allen..yep, put his name here. I keep getting calls for him -
regarding credit checks, letting me know that his meds are ready for
pickup, bill collectors

So, whoever he is, I hope he finds his way to Polly's gators - we've
been here a year and it keeps opng going and going and going

Old June 29th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I was a very lucky child, I had Little Gramma (Mom's mother), Big
Gramma (Little Gramma's mother), Gramma Murty (Big Gramma's mother)
and Gramma Pugsy (Dad's mother), then there was Grandpap John (Mom's
bialogical father), Uncle Tom (Mom's step father), Pop (Little
Gramma's father), and last of all Granpap Pugsy.

It was really great, they were all important in my life. Gramma
Murphy's daughters were all trained seamstresses, they in turn taught
their daugters, my own Mom only did a little sewing, but she did make
3 or 4 quilts when I was a baby and Dad was away in WWII, in her later
life she made afgans.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA