Mini iron or soldering iron?

Old April 8th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Mini iron or soldering iron?

Our kiripet was cruising ebay the other day and stumbled across a mini
iron for $10 less than TSWLTH was asking. Being a well trained and
thoughtful pet, she got it for me.

So it got here and I showed it to DH, as expected his jaw dropped.
He then informed me that _that_ is _not_ an iron. It is a deluded
soldering iron with a deformity. I pointed out that I had asked him
repeatedly if he could modify a cheapo soldering iron to have a
thermostat and a broad chisel woodburning tip for me. He replied that
he thought I was joking.

So now he is thinking a little more seriously about the project.
Anybody else do electronics or have an SO who does that might be
curious about turning a cheap pencil style soldering iron into a solid
sewing tool? Lord knows that DH has enough junk parts and cheap
soldering irons to play with the concept. He misplaces soldering
irons the way I do thimbles, which is why we have a zillion cheap
ones.

NightMist
waiting for Ash to nap so she can play with her new toy
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old April 8th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:

[...]

I LOVE my Clover mini iron, and regularly use it to weld crystals to
wedding and costume projects. I *have* used it for quilty things as
well, but not as often as for non-quilty projects! It's also great for
ironing little ruffles, pressing the insides of boxes, bags, and other
really small and awkward spaces, and for burning your fingers, so be
careful!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 9th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I never thought about having my DH look into doing that...Maybe I'll have
him look at some and see what he thinks. He is VERY electronically inclined.
Nothing can break in this house that he can't fix and make better.! LOL
Toni

Old April 9th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 23:48:23 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

NightMist wrote:

Our kiripet was cruising ebay the other day and stumbled across a mini
iron for $10 less than TSWLTH was asking. Being a well trained and
thoughtful pet, she got it for me.

I LOVE my Clover mini iron, and regularly use it to weld crystals to
wedding and costume projects. I *have* used it for quilty things as
well, but not as often as for non-quilty projects! It's also great for
ironing little ruffles, pressing the insides of boxes, bags, and other
really small and awkward spaces, and for burning your fingers, so be
careful!

That kind of thing is just what I had in mind!
I have never done a great deal with bondables because I am a bit of a
clutz with an iron. Yes i can do fiddly little things all over the
place, but every single time I try and do anything delicate with the
iron I end up with a crease underneath, or things slightly askew, etc.
I am hoping that with the mini I can manage the fiddly bits and can
cut back on my needle basteing of detailing. Time saving!

Of course I am also thinking to expand my quilting time by useing it
to press seams on smaller blocks and sections. Currently if Ash is
awake I have to throw a towel on the washing machine, and iron in the
locked bathroom if I am sewing. An iron that I can keep right next to
me that he isn't going to knock over onto a cat or something will be
useful. Though I will have to set a timer to remind me to stand up
and move about. The jumping up to press seams is all that keeps me
from hardening into shape at the sewing machine some days!

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old April 10th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I use a soldering iron to manipulate contort and melt fabric for small
pieces of fabric "art". I have a clover iron but seldom use it!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

bronze soldering iron tip desiglass Glass 2 April 8th 06 02:12 AM
Clover mini iron anne Needlework 4 September 11th 05 08:34 PM
FS: Vintage Singer Featherweight Iron -- Best Piecing Iron Available! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 0 August 14th 04 08:10 PM
FS: Vintage Singer Featherweight Iron -- Best Piecing Iron Available! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 0 August 14th 04 08:09 PM
Soldering Iron Woes Moonraker Glass 9 July 25th 03 02:49 PM