Vintage Empisal EF-68 Knitting Machine/circa 1965! I Need Help to Cast On!!!

Old November 11th 04, 11:00 PM
france martin

Default Vintage Empisal EF-68 Knitting Machine/circa 1965! I Need Help to Cast On!!!

Hi...I recently acquired an Empisal EF-68 Knitting Machine but it has
no manual. As far as I have learned, this model dates back to 1965.
This is a table top unit with 160 needles and either a tension
selector or needle selector numbered 0-10(can't quite figure out).
Also has some funny L-shaped prongs that come forward in a V-shape
pattern as you move the carriage across needles. Has a fabric hem for
casting on but no mast or thread path--Could someone help me learn to
cast on--also, is the dial on this for selecting stitch patterns or
for stitch size. And if it is for selecting stitch patterns, how do I
go about utilizing it. If anyone has had any experience using this old
machine, I would welcome the help. It is mint in the box and ready to
knit...just have to figure out how!!!!! Many thanks in advance for any
input...Sincerely, France Martin
Old January 20th 05, 11:51 PM
RichardPeter

Hi France,

I've been doing alot of searching to find a manual for mine as well. No
luck though. It seems like everyone is trying to find a manual or selling
one without one. I've had an experienced machine knitter look at it and
she is puzzled by the design. Most modern knitting machines move the
needles to make the stich (these Empisal models move the posts instead).
We experimented with casting on with not much luck but I think I may be
getting closer. We did come to the agreement that the dial is for
tension. It seems to adjust the size of the stitch. I have been able to
create some crude rows but the technique is far from ready to use. I
consider this a mental challenge and am keen to solve the mystery. I will
let you know more as I figure it out.

Richard

Old January 21st 05, 12:56 AM
David Toft

In article
outcrafting.com,
RichardPeter writes
Hi France,

I've been doing alot of searching to find a manual for mine as well. No
luck though. It seems like everyone is trying to find a manual or selling
one without one. I've had an experienced machine knitter look at it and
she is puzzled by the design. Most modern knitting machines move the
needles to make the stich (these Empisal models move the posts instead).
We experimented with casting on with not much luck but I think I may be
getting closer. We did come to the agreement that the dial is for
tension. It seems to adjust the size of the stitch. I have been able to
create some crude rows but the technique is far from ready to use. I
consider this a mental challenge and am keen to solve the mystery. I will
let you know more as I figure it out.

Richard

It sounds like a Knitmaster Instant Knitter to me, you have more chance
of finding a manual if you ask for that.
--
David Toft
Old January 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
TimG

Have you checked:
http://www.undyarns.co.uk/acatalog/manual.html

Old January 28th 05, 06:13 PM
RichardPeter

I checked there for her and her model is not listed although there are some
other models which might be similar in some respects. My Empisal Instant
is very similar. I have been able to get it working. It makes beautiful
fine stitches. Now all I have to do is figure out how to modify the
stitches. Several books from the library will help there. A person can
only make so many scarves. :^)

Richard

Old August 13th 05, 09:22 AM
topcat57 topcat57 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPeter
............. My Empisal Instant
is very similar. I have been able to get it working. It makes beautiful
fine stitches. .................
Richard
Hi,
I'd just like to add that I recently bought a Knitmaster Instant off Ebay. Lovely machine but wrong instruction booklet included. I have experience of one or two knitting machines, but casting on with this one is a total mystery!

Is there any simple way you could explain it to us RichardPeter?

I gather the red material tube is for casting on and we need to place the metal rod inside to give it weight, but does that go on the needles with the L shaped needles in front of it or behind it?

I also believe it is a machine where you have to lay the wool across the needles yourself, possibly using the little brush to ensure all needles are shut/open?

Any help much appreciated,
Susan
Old August 14th 05, 02:23 PM
Shannon

I posted here a while back about the instructions for an Empisal Instant I
recently acquired and didn't get any responses. I have 3 other knitting
machines and for the life of me cannot figure out how this one works!?!?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 14th 05, 03:35 PM
David Toft

In article , Shannon
writes
I posted here a while back about the instructions for an Empisal Instant I
recently acquired and didn't get any responses. I have 3 other knitting
machines and for the life of me cannot figure out how this one works!?!?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I emailed them to you and you said you got them
--
David Toft
Old October 18th 10, 01:18 PM
Kristal Schiers Kristal Schiers is offline
Junior Member

Richard, you have an empisal instant knitting machine!!
I just bought one off of ebay and have had no luck finding the manual. I really want to use the machine. Is there any way that you can give me a copy?

-Kristal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPeter View Post

Old October 18th 10, 10:55 PM
Kristal Schiers Kristal Schiers is offline
Junior Member

David ~
Do you have the manual for the Empisal Instant? I would love to get a copy of it. I just bought that machine and I don't have a manual for it.