100 Most Beautiful Words in the English Language

Old October 26th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default 100 Most Beautiful Words in the English Language

I admit, I lifted this from another site, but considering how many
word-aholics we have here, thought it might make an interesting topic
of discussion (if you would like to see the site, go he

http://www.alphadictionary.com/artic...ful_words.html

Ailurophile - A cat-lover. (as a dog person I might disagree with this
one. . .)
Assemblage- A gathering.
Becoming- Attractive.
Beleaguer - To exhaust with attacks.
Brood - To think alone.
BucolicIn - a lovely rural setting.
Bungalow - A small, cozy cottage.
Chatoyant- Like a cat's eye.
Comely- Attractive.
Conflate - To blend together.
Cynosure - A focal point of admiration.
Dalliance - A brief love affair.
Demesne - Dominion, territory.
Demure - Shy and reserved.
Denouement - The resolution of a mystery.
Desuetude - Disuse.
Desultory - Slow, sluggish.
Diaphanous - Filmy.
Dissemble - Deceive.
Dulcet - Sweet, sugary.
Ebullience - Bubbling enthusiasm.
Effervescent - Bubbly.
Efflorescence - Flowering, blooming.
Elision - Dropping a sound or syllable in a word.
Elixir - A good potion.
Eloquence - Beauty and persuasion in speech.
Embrocation - Rubbing on a lotion.
Emollient - A softener.
Ephemeral - Short-lived.
Epiphany - A sudden revelation.
Erstwhile - At one time, for a time.
Ethereal - Gaseous, invisible but detectable.
Evanescent - Vanishing quickly, lasting a very short time.
Evocative - Suggestive.
Fetching - Pretty.
Felicity - Pleasantness.
Forbearance - Withholding response to provocation.
Fugacious - Fleeting.
Furtive - Shifty, sneaky.
Gambol - To skip or leap about joyfully.
Glamour - Beauty.
Gossamer - The finest piece of thread, a spider's silk
Halcyon - Happy, sunny, care-free.
Harbinger - Messenger with news of the future.
Imbrication - Overlapping and forming a regular pattern.
Imbroglio - An altercation or complicated situation.
Imbue - To infuse, instill.
Incipient - Beginning, in an early stage.
Ineffable - Unutterable, inexpressible.
Ingénue - A naïve young woman.
Inglenook - A cozy nook by the hearth.
Insouciance - Blithe nonchalance.
Inure - To become jaded.
Labyrinthine - Twisting and turning.
Lagniappe - A special kind of gift.
Lagoon - A small gulf or inlet.
Languor - Listlessness, inactivity.
Lassitude - Weariness, listlessness.
Leisure - Free time.
Lilt - To move musically or lively.
Lissome - Slender and graceful.
Lithe - Slender and flexible.
Love - Deep affection.
Mellifluous - Sweet sounding.
Moiety - One of two equal parts.
Mondegreen - A slip of the ear.
Murmurous - Murmuring.
Nemesis - An unconquerable archenemy.
Offing - The sea between the horizon and the offshore.
Onomatopoeia - A word that sounds like its meaning.
Opulent - Lush, luxuriant.
Palimpsest - A manuscript written over earlier ones.
Panacea - A solution for all problems
Panoply - A complete set.
Pastiche - An art work combining materials from various sources.
Penumbra - A half-shadow.
Petrichor - The smell of earth after rain.
Plethora - A large quantity.
Propinquity - An inclination.
Pyrrhic - Successful with heavy losses.
Quintessential - Most essential.
Ratatouille - A spicy French stew.
Ravel - To knit or unknit.
Redolent - Fragrant.
Riparian - By the bank of a stream.
Ripple - A very small wave.
Scintilla - A spark or very small thing.
Sempiternal - Eternal.
Seraglio - Rich, luxurious oriental palace or harem.
Serendipity - Finding something nice while looking for something else.
Summery - Light, delicate or warm and sunny.
Sumptuous - Lush, luxurious.
Surreptitious - Secretive, sneaky.
Susquehanna - A river in Pennsylvania.
Susurrous - Whispering, hissing.
Talisman - A good luck charm.
Tintinnabulation - Tinkling.
Umbrella - Protection from sun or rain.
Untoward - Unseemly, inappropriate.
VestigialIn - trace amounts.
Wafture - Waving.
Wherewithal - The means.
Woebegone - Sorrowful, downcast.
Old October 27th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

wrote:
[...]

They left out my favourite: abominable.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 27th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/26/09 9:26 PM, "Trish Brown" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Or reprehensible....

;^)

Ellice

Old October 27th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

wrote:
[...]

.... and execrable!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 27th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

They left out my favourite: abominable.

Or reprehensible....

;^)

Ellice

... and execrable!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

....preternaturally

Dawne

Old October 27th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...
They left out my favourite: abominable.

Or reprehensible....

;^)

Ellice

... and execrable!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

...preternaturally

Dawne

This isn't really a word, just something a bright kid that worked for me
came up with. I always loved it. "generalfedupedness"

His used it when someone quit with no obvious reason other then that the
staff in the department she worked in sucked and she did a major part of the
work with little recognition and no more money.

Lucille

Old October 27th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Where is "penultimate"? It has no synonym, sadly, and when used,
"penultimate" can be a word that is new to far too many people, some
of whom will think one who uses it to be a snob. It is, however, one
of my favorites.
Old October 28th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Bruce Fletcher wrote
On the word "beautiful" - in the North of England when someone was
decorating their house (i.e. papering, painting etc) they would say they
were "beautifying".
--

The store where I work used to be visited by a Regional Manager from the
West coast who originally came from England. He used to point out ways we

Dawne

Old October 28th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

A couple of family words:

Ozarchitecture - tacky yard stuff, especially tires half buried and
used as decorations
Entrange - The range of prices at a restaurant

linda