Gakked from Donna: Stitching question and conversation starter

Old August 24th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Gakked from Donna: Stitching question and conversation starter

I had just this conversation yesterday - commenting on how in your
teens and college years (and often the early years after you have
kids), you don't have time/interest/money to stitch. You need to be
exposed young from someone (scouts, parent, grandparent, etc.), then
later you pick it up again. I know that was true of me!

Alas, Girl Scouts has moved to this new "leadership" emphasis which is
going to leave little room for learning all the stuff you *used* to
have the chance to learn.

And Joan's point about taking time to catch up to the fad is well
taken - it does take time to get the production up and going. It's
also a chicken and the egg question though - companies produce what
sells. What sells is what's available. If I go in, am interetested
in taking something up and it's not there (steampunk for example), I
may not come back. By the time it is available, I've moved on or
resigned myself to not being able to find it.

linda

Old August 24th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 24, 8:35*am, Karen C - California wrote:
wrote:
I had just this conversation yesterday - commenting on how in your
teens and college years (and often the early years after you have
kids), you don't have time/interest/money to stitch. *

You make time for what is important to you. *I could stitch a nice gift
for a couple bucks (including 25c thrift store frame) versus spending
far more than that to buy something. *Never admitted to my cousin that
her kids got hand-knitted sweaters because I couldn't afford to buy
ready-made.

One of my former co-workers was watching me crochet at lunch hour and
whined "I used to have time to do that". *My life was busier than hers,
so I couldn't understand why she didn't; it had never crossed her mind
that she could crochet and watch TV at the same time! *Whereas I was
taught never to sit down without something in your hands.

Another, who blows $1000 a year going to the movies (and soda and
popcorn for each one), couldn't figure out how I had the money to spend
on stitchy stuff. *Um, because I don't go to the movies (too dark to
stitch!), don't get my hair done, don't indulge in mani/pedi/massage
every Saturday...

When I was younger, there were times when stitching was important and
times it wasn't. It didn't even occur to me to make stitching as a
gift at a younger age (college) - don't know why, it just didn't.
Furthermore, not all of us had access to a kit or thrift store - I
went to college in a very, very small town (Mount Vernon, IA -
population 3,628 - and probably less when I was there). And frankly,
when money was so tight it was sometimes a choice between tampons and
course books, even a couple of skeins and cheap frame would have been
too much.

As to the time factor, you are right - I listen to a book or watch TV
and stitch. But there are those who can't do it - they can't
concentrate well enough. And as you said, they make time for what's
important. Maybe watching Susie practice is more important to them.
Or seeing a movie. Or whatever.

Old August 24th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Linda wrote .
I had just this conversation yesterday - commenting on how in your
teens and college years (and often the early years after you have
kids), you don't have time/interest/money to stitch. You need to be
exposed young from someone (scouts, parent, grandparent, etc.), then
later you pick it up again. I know that was true of me!

But not of me. All of my early exposure was negative--so I wasn't "going
back to" anything. From a fairly early age, though, I observed that if you
really want to learn something, there is a book that will tell you how, and
it was books that taught me crewel, knitting, cross stitch--and cooking.
Now with the 'net, it's even easier. I am delighted to see magazines like
ReadyMade which encourage people to repurpose, recycle, and made their own
stuff. Things like Altered Couture also encourage creativity, and hit a
younger demographic. Just cause Mama didn't teach you, doesn't mean you
won't ever know! (why oh why did that conjure up a wicked grin??)

Dawne

Old August 24th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 24, 11:54*am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
Linda wrote .I had just this conversation yesterday - commenting on how in your
[...]

LOL - I agree - I was speaking in generalities of course. There are
exceptions to every rule - and you prove it!

linda
Old August 25th 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:03:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

went to college in a very, very small town (Mount Vernon, IA -
population 3,628 - and probably less when I was there).

Cornell? One course at a time? Not much else in Mt Vernon.

No, I'm not an alum, but I do have a personalized Ice Rams hockey
jacket that I wear in the fall. I have drunk Jack Daniels in the
basement of Joe's International Airport lounge.
We lived in Iowa City from '86-'99 and my dh was a ringer on the
hockey team. We spent a lot of time driving back and forth to the
Cattle Congress.

I've been living in Delaware 10 years now, but I still miss Iowa like
nobody's business.

Sara

Old August 25th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

wrote:
went to college in a very, very small town (Mount Vernon, IA -
population 3,628 - and probably less when I was there). *

Cornell? *One course at a time? *Not much else in Mt Vernon.

No, I'm not an alum, but I do have a personalized Ice Rams hockey
jacket that I wear in the fall. *I have drunk Jack Daniels in the
basement of Joe's International Airport lounge. *
We lived in Iowa City from '86-'99 and my dh was a ringer on the
hockey team. *We spent a lot of time driving back and forth to the
Cattle Congress.

I've been living in Delaware 10 years now, but I still miss Iowa like
nobody's business.

Sara

OMG! You know it!!!!! Yes, I did OCAAT - loved, loved, loved it (was
the reason I picked Cornell AAMOF).

We are going back in October for a reunion. . .

If you ever get out this way, look me up - I'm in Missouri. . .

Gift of Stitching question Pat in Illinois Needlework 2 October 6th 08 04:58 PM
stitching question SMark Needlework 12 May 12th 07 07:29 PM
Stupid Stitching Question Maureen In Vancouver, B.C. Needlework 8 October 26th 05 01:13 PM
I see.....the conversation has been taken off list Dr. Sooz Beads 33 February 21st 05 09:02 AM
Topic of Conversation C. Mathews Yarn 14 December 21st 03 08:55 PM