Computer desk as sewing cabinet?

Old September 14th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Computer desk as sewing cabinet?

First check this out-

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Hamp..._Work_Station/

What *IF* a person were to buy this and make a cut-out for their sewing
machine over where the keyboard goes and set the sm on the pull-out shelf
(with the shelf in the 'in' position, of course)? Or else make the cut-out
over the middle drawer on the right so that the sm base sat down inside the
drawer? Just thinking, not ready to do anything, and I'd have to get some
measurements to be sure the sm sat low enough in either place. Would that
seem like a clever alternative to the terribly overpriced sewing machine
cabinets sold by Koala, etc.? I have seen computer desks selling for very
reasonable prices and it is easy to find used desks for sale, as well. And
you could put a shelf type thingy behind it to make the surface area larger,
too.

Wadda ya thunk???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 14th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Leslie,

Several years ago there was an article in Threads magazine about someone
that did exactly what you're talking about. As I remember she cut out the
top of the desk & set the machine on the pull out keyboard tray. Then she
put one of the plastic table thingies that you can buy specifically for your
machine in the cutout desk top. Made a really nice sewing space that was
just a fraction of the price of the sewing machine cabinets. I think they
are horribly overpriced and some I have seen are nearly as well made as the
computer desks.

Donna in Idaho

Old September 14th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I have a sewing table that has on the left a lift up part that fits around
the SM and gives the cloth somewhere to lay---so it won't drag as you sew.
Most of the time I don't use this feature, but it sure is nice when I am
sewing a heavier fabric, or curtains, or something big. Guess that if you
already have a computer desk it would be worth thinking about!
Barbara in SC

Old September 14th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lotsoflavender

That is really an attractive computer desk, haven't seen anything like that
over her in Oz but then I haven't looked to far.

Can't see why you couldn't do that. The only thing would be the depth from
the keyboard shelf to the top of the desk, was it deep enough and would you
have to drop the tray down more to get the machine bed level with the
desktop.........John would know more about these things g

Wendy in Nsw

Old September 14th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I'd put the sewing machine on the right side... then you would have the left
side to lay quilts (carry the weight) when quilting them!

Looks like it could work wonderfully!

--
Kate in MI

Old September 14th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Leslie, I have been looking at things like that for a couple of years.
There are 2 problems.... first, you end up centered on the machine, not
centered on the needle. The table I have right now is such that you
have the same problem, unless you are very slender. VBG The older I
get the more it bothers me.
Second, DH pointed out that you really don't want the machine on any
kind of support that slides. The vibration of sewing could make the
shelf/drawer slide and cause problems. G And none of us needs more
problems.

I keep on looking for a good way to go. I don't really want a "lift",
because I leave my machine up all the time. And don't use the free arm
either, so no need to raise it for that. G
The only thing I would need the machine at "another level" would be with
the embroidery unit, and that can be flat on the other desk. G

Last year at the Houston Festival I did find a place that does tables
that are really usable. They even do custom designs. G I think it was
"Tracy's Tables". Will have to find the paperwork and double check. But
their standard tables were really nice. You sit centered on the needle,
and such. Lots of options too.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old September 14th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

Well lady, I thought I had the lead of all leads for you, but things have
apparently changed! About 3-4 years ago, I bought my Koala Outback Plus from
the company I linked below for the whopping price of about $700! Yes, that's
right, just $700. They told me that since all the cabinets were drop shipped
from Australia anyway, they just took a small commission to forward the
order. Now, these cabinets were retailing, at the time, for about $1,500 US!
I'll tell ya, I got mine at the killer price and I still love it!!

So, I go bank to check it out, before I tell you about it, and I see a
message on their site that says that Koala has changed their policies and
only accepts orders directly through their own site. My lovely Outback Plus
is now listing for about $2100, and is only available directly from Koala.
Boo!! Hisss!!!! Anyway, I did check out the original site for Horn cabinets.
They do NOT post prices on line, but you can either call or eamil them for a
quote. My understanding is that the Horn is quite similar to the Koala.
Anyway, it might be worth checking into. Of course, NAYY....
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/

Lorraine in La Center

Old September 14th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If you do decide to do it, Leslie, I definitely think the keyboard shelf
rather than the drawer, because of the weight-bearing doubts I would
have about the base of the drawer Looks a rather nice piece of 'kit'.
..
In message , Leslie & The Furbabies
in MO. writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 14th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 13, 8:29 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
[...]

Here are some things to think about with that converson: You should be
sure of the material that the top and sliding shelf are made of. For
that price they probably are pressboard with a formica covering over
it. That is not made to very high standards. The shelf that slides is
only meant to hold a light keyboard and if you place a "heavy" sewing
machine the shelf "might" start to warp downward and pull against the
sliding mechanism and then pull out the screws holding it in place. If
you did do the conversion, I would firmly and permanently position the
shelf in place and not let it be a sliding shelf again. Maybe even
replacing it with a 3/4" plywood shelf that is properly attached to
the sides of the cabinet. The cut out of the top could be accomplished
without much effort, but you will need a fine saw blade to avoid the
fraying of the edge of the cut and probably would be better served by
using a router with a flush cut off bit to make the edge square and
true and not raggedy. the whole thing could ber done and accomplish
what you are loking for, but it would entail some expertise in
carpentry, and it is not for the tool challenged. I would hate to see
you try it and not be satisfied, because you thought it ws as simple
as a few cuts and there you go saving hyndreds of dollars. If youa re
a gambler then give it a try, but for my money, I would think about
getting an old table, and cutting the legs down and then cutting the
top out and building a support shelf below and attached to the top to
support the machine. If you look at the linked picture you will see
the results of that approach. You should be able to find a table at a
yard or garage sale that would work and for not much money. It would
not have the storage capacity but you can add storage bins for not to
much money from Joanne's which will hold everthing you might need.I
personally like the unencumbered space uner the table approach and
have gone back to that on all of my sewing tables. I hate the crowded
feel of a cabinet where my feet are stuck in asmall space.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635ZmFSXN

Old September 14th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

The wierd thing is, I understood all the niggly details that John just
wrote about.......

Ginger in CA

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...0692635ZmFSXN- Hide quoted text -