old spinning wheel

Old April 27th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default old spinning wheel

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

You Certainly do Els.

Thank you Cher

I have done some more spinning on this wheel, because Otto wants to give
it back to the museum with half a bobbin of yarn on it as well as a small
skein to go with it so it looks like it is a working wheel. Maybe I have
to teach him how to spin...LOL I got some Churro (Navajo sheep) roving
sitting around, it spins up beautifully.

Eld

Thnx Cher x
"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

Hi Els, how interesting, I've seen similar to this, but as a skein
winder
from bobbin to skein, the skein is put to the paddles but not with a
bobbin
on it...thnx for the photos Otto has made a very good job of it.

Thnx so much for posting this....

hugz cher

It is fun to share, as well as that maybe one of you may have seen a
similar wheel somewhere else. You get a better picture on how things were
that way.

Els

Old April 27th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Elsje for the compliment ,, and yes i am doing loads of
research in several subjects ,,,,
It needs lots of energy and time , but has a fruit or two ,,,
mirjam

Old April 27th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh Wow, well do some pics Els, get Otto to take a few of you doing it
etc...can't wait to see this one in action...very fascinating..

weaving today, hopefully my ''shed'' is gonna stay better now that I've
removed the cross sticks...only a rug, so I'll beat the shed into
submission..lol
hugz Cher

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

You Certainly do Els.

Thank you Cher

I have done some more spinning on this wheel, because Otto wants to give
it back to the museum with half a bobbin of yarn on it as well as a small
skein to go with it so it looks like it is a working wheel. Maybe I have
to teach him how to spin...LOL I got some Churro (Navajo sheep) roving
sitting around, it spins up beautifully.

Eld

Thnx Cher x

Old April 27th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh No, does sparks fly?? LOL now there is a cure for this you know, if
you don't speak to one another you can't argue...lol

hugz cher

Thank you Jan, so from a distance, we look great, but watch out when we
disagree.....LOL.

Els

Old April 27th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

Oh Wow, well do some pics Els, get Otto to take a few of you doing it
etc...can't wait to see this one in action...very fascinating..

weaving today, hopefully my ''shed'' is gonna stay better now that I've
removed the cross sticks...only a rug, so I'll beat the shed into
submission..lol
hugz Cher

Cher

A picture of yours trouly spinning behind the old wheel is on its way.

I love the remnant weaving on your loom. very nice, it looks like you had
the upper hand. Your weaing will will push me along to get to the rug
weaving from the Romni March fleeces I spun last year. One white and one
black. Hope to dye the white skeins.

Els
Old April 27th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

Oh No, does sparks fly?? LOL now there is a cure for this you know, if
you don't speak to one another you can't argue...lol

hugz cher

Thank you Jan, so from a distance, we look great, but watch out when we
disagree.....LOL.

Els

Ask Mirjam, the Dutch and Jews as well, (of which we are both are
members), are very argumentative...even when there is no argument, we will
find one.....LOL.
Naturally Otto more so than I....LOL. Sparks do fly the odd time...LOL
Must be part of a good marrigage. it will be 50 years next
year....Amazing

Els
Old April 28th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It's gonna be a bit bigger than a remnant when it's done, it'll be 70ins
long, an is 38ins wide.. I'm not that keen on the colours, but as it is for
a present I have to do the colours needed, which is peach and rose pink, so
I'm using three strands of peach or pink, started with peach, for a header
and two ins, then dropped one strand of peach and picked up one strand of
pink, then dropped another strand of peach and picked up another strand of
pink then it was all pink and gradually dropping strands and working the
other colours in to give the marble effect.. .. I'll break the back of that
today and get another 24ins or more done, then it'll be just 22ins or more
if I can get any more out of it .. then twiddle the ends and finish.

I steam my rugs Els, being as you can't wash them, is that what you would
do? to sort of set them I mean, talking of set, the set for this is 4EPI
rug warp.

hugz Cher

Old April 28th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well done you two, fifty years...goodness...how time flys when you're
having fun...LOL

hugz Cher

Old April 28th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
"spinninglilac" wrote:

[...]

How do you go about that,steaming a rug when you have a big rug? I put
mine in the bathtub and walk or waulk them, adding soap and water. Hang
them on the wash line and hose them clean, let them dry on the line. So
far it works well. In Toronto we had a factory that was willing to take
hand woven pieces for finishing. They did ask that you sew old sheeting
to top and bottom so they could fasten the material or rug to the loom
without doing damage to the weaving. That work very well. Here I use my
own washing methods, beeing far away from city factory facilities.

Els