Making quilts for relatives

Old February 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Roberta Zollner

I'd thank her so much for thinking of me. Why, I'd weep crocodile tears all
over the phone at the thought of the honor of making her a quilt, and how
I'd just have to refuse because my quilting would surely not be up to her
standards and I didn't have time and anyway I Don't Do Commissions. And
before she could get another word in, I'd point her to one of those quilt
websites -we see them here about once a week, where they sell new or antique
quilts. (A real education!) And I'd thank her some more for being so sweet
to think of me.
Just maybe, in the case of a bestest friend, preferably one to whom I am
indebted for my life, I might counter-offer to make a small wall hanging, on
condition that she has absolutely no vote on its final appearance. But only
after severe arm-twisting.
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 5th 04, 05:35 PM
Butterfly

LOVE IT
I just absolutely LOVE it : )
Butterfly (where were you when Sis was here..her DH (( is VERY dramatic))
would have eaten it up and not even salted it first : )

Old February 5th 04, 05:41 PM
Roberta Zollner

If I decided to make a quilt for someone (doesn't usually happen that way,
normally the quilt goes to whomever seems the right person after it's
finished and I know what it looks like), I would find out some color
directions in a sneaky way. Then make whatever quilt idea was bugging me at
the time. But if that person were to say it had to match a deco scheme, and
the quilt had other ideas, then it would not be fun.
One year I made small quilts for about 10 people on a board where I was
president, and I'd never seen where most of them lived. I tried to think of
each person while making a quilt, but without deciding all the colors in
advance. Now that was fun! Most of them said it was spooky to pull out a
quilt and find that it perfectly matched a new couch she'd just bought, or
the new paint in her bedroom.
Roberta in D

"Marijke" wrote in message
Wow, I guess I'm lucky!

With the exception of being presented with two quilt kits and a request to
make the quilts for one SIL, I've never been in a position where someone

has
asked me to make a quilt.

I've made several for family members and for friends but never on a

request
because they just haven't.

I have also read here that some people will tell their recipient that
they're going to make a quilt, but that they will be making the decisions

re
patterns and colours. I'm not criticizing them, but I wonder why they get
upset if the recipient asks for different colours or different patterns? I
just don't tell them I'm making a quilt for two reasons. First, so that I
can decide what I'm making and how and second, because if for some reason
the quilt doesn't work, I can't finish it, whatever - no-one is
disappointed.

That's what's fun about quilting.... we all choose our own way of doing
things!
Marijke
in Montreal

Old February 5th 04, 05:41 PM
Lisa Ellis

Is this your attempt at being subtle?

Anyhow, if I need an excuse, I'll gladly use you as one...

lisae

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:

You can all use me as your excuse. "I'm sorry, but my friend, LN is already
ahead of you on the list and until I get a chance to make her one, I
couldn't possibly make you one. It would crush her."

Old February 5th 04, 06:01 PM
Butterfly

PULLED from the archives::: :::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::
Sis was out here for Christmas. Asked me to 'make her a quilt' that she
would be happy to 'pay for'. told her to let me think about it.
The next morning --I told her I had been thinking about the quilt. Told her
about how many quilts were on it before I could think about doing hers : )
Told her to expect to pay about:
$8.00 to 10.00 per yard for fabric as it would be purchased FROM the
LQS---not
anywhere else-- as I would only do top quality fabric for her (queen size
bed) Figure 10 to 12 yards as we had NOT talked design or anything else...
The same for the backing as I would NOT use a sheet.
Hadn't priced batting.
The quilting would be sent out to MY Machine Quilter and to expect to pay
anywhere from $350 to $400 for it.

Let's just say-it will be thought about.....
I didn't say "no.didn't say maybe. didn't say someday."
She did say that she would like to have a quilt that I had made for
her......maybe we could work out 'just a quilt top' and she would price the
quilting part in her neck of the woods......
Yes, she DOES sew---and has made a couple of baby quilts --but--it has been
awhile. ((Like she said--when the boys have graduated from college--the
sewing machine might come out again )))

We have to 'educate' folks on 'pricing materials' and then tell them that
we
will NOT work on a project for less than $X/X/X/X/X//X/X per hour.
:::::::And I did NOT even suggest how MUCH per hour I would charge ; )
::::::
Yes, I was flattered to be asked, no, I am NOT starting it tomorrow or the
next day orrrrrrrrrrr
HTH :::::::::: ::::::::::: ::::::::::::
Butterfly (yuppers, we still are really really close ; )

"Bonnie Patterson" wrote in message
Pat,

Oh was that what I said? The Quilt Patch is the "Shenandoah Quilt
Patch" in Stephens City, VA, the Clothes Line is now "Patchwork Plus"
in Dayton, VA. I must have needed a nap, haven't been sleeping well.

"Patchwork Plus" is my Bernina dealer and now they also sell Jenome
because they needed a good, less expensive line. They sew all of their
machines in, so that when they are sold the customer has less chance
of getting a lemon. If you call for an appointment to have your
machine repaired/cleaned/etc. they will give you a time to bring it in
and the repair person will work on it while you wait. Good business
sense, I think, they sell fabric don't they? Whatever could you do
while waiting for your machine?

It's gray and dreary here in western VA, all along the I-81 corroder,
we are expecting the 3rd snow/ice storm (in the last 2 weeks) this
evening. And tomorrow they are calling for possible flooding when the
snow and ice turn to snow. This winter is giving us a good reason not
to complain about a drought. The schools had tuesday off because of
ice and 2 hours late yesterday because of ice, and if it's ice again
tomorrow they cancel once more.

I think that I used to like snow, but I was much younger then.

Bonnie, frozen in Middletown, VA

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:30:09 -0500, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Thank you Bonnie. I am saving this info for next time I go to the
western area, which I would NEVER confuse with that other state!
(The relative is in Valdosia County, Florida ... I can't
understand why she thinks I would know of stores near her, or in
NY where she visits often. G)
PAT

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

Pat,

There is a quilt shop/fabric store in Dayton, VA, also known as "my
personal LQS" that has quilts for sale, they aren't cheap. There is
also the Dayton Farmers Market which has a quilt shop (as in sells
quilts). The QS used to be known as the Clothes Line, and is now known
as the Quilt Patch.

These stores are on State Route 28 SE of Harrisonburg, home of James
Madison University. We're over here on the western side of Virginia.
Not to be confused with West Virginia.

Old February 5th 04, 06:23 PM
Kate Dicey

Neeej wrote:

I've never been in a position where someone has
asked me to make a quilt.

I made one for my slack key teacher (as a surprise & just 'cause I wanted to)
and took it to class to give her one night. At the same time, I took a li'l
bitty quilt I made for a performer who was coming to town (long story, ya don't
wanna know! G) and had talked the class into sharing the blame for. I was
showing her this one first, and she joked, "Oh I want one, will you make me
one?" whereupon I said "OK" & whipped out hers. I don't think she's recovered
yet hehehe.

Fastest Quilt in the West!!!
-- Jean S

Sneaky - and a really fun thing to do!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 5th 04, 06:26 PM
Julia Altshuler

I've read over my own posts on this subject and realize I've given the
impression that I would never make a quilt for a relative or think
there's something insulting in being asked for a quilt. That's not the
case.

I make gifts for relatives whenever the occasion arises. Occasion
generally means a birth or any catered event. That could be a bar
mitzvah, wedding, major anniversary or all-out 70th birthday party. I'm
quite upfront about what I'm willing to do. I put it in writing:

Dear [Relative],

Congratulations on your [bat mitzvah, wedding, anniversary, birthday]!
I'd like to make you a quilt for the big event. I'll choose the fabrics
and design, but you can tell me favorite colors since I enjoy the
challenge of working with colors I wouldn't necessarily choose myself.
You can tell me a color or colors (like green or purple); you can tell
me a family of colors (like pastels or brights or sunset colors or
peacock colors. You can even send me an old shirt of page from a
magazine that has colors in you like, anything to give me an idea. I
can also take a certain amount of direction as to theme (old fashioned,
wild and crazy), but that's harder for me. I don't do realism.

Once I send off a letter like that, I have NEVER gotten an
unsatisfactory response. The recipient always writes back thanking me
and telling me what I want to know. Once I got a small square of wall
paper. It was perfect. The quilt matches the girl's room and looks
great. Another time for a wedding, he said he liked red and black; she
said she liked teal and purple. Both said they preferred avant garde.
I made a 2 sided quilt with red, black, white and gray on one side and
the whole family of teals and purples and blues on the other. It took
me 6 months to create that masterpiece, and I've never been sorry.

My objection comes when someone seems to value my quilts enough to want
one but not enough to value the creativity, energy, time, skill and
money that goes into making one. When someone acts like they deserve a
quilt or wants me to do the scut work while they do the lofty designing
part or resorts to double talking to wheedle one out of me, I say no.

--Lia

Old February 5th 04, 07:53 PM
Julia in MN

I have made a lot of quilts for relatives, but they have all been
unsolicited gifts. Most of them were for new babies -- most of my
nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews have received quilts.
Some have been hand-quilted, some machine quilted, some pieced, some
pre-printed panels. I chose the pattern and fabric for all of them. I
have also made a few quilts for wedding gifts; in those cases, I asked
for color preferences, but I picked the pattern. My SIL hinted some time
ago that she would like one of my quilts; I didn't give her a definite
reply, but thought to myself that someday I would come up with something
that she would probably like. I am going to offer her the stack'n'whack
lap quilt that I just finished; I'm sure she'll take it . If not,
I'll find another home for it. I don't do quilts on commission; I give a
lot of quilts away, but doing something on commission would take the fun
out of it.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old February 5th 04, 07:54 PM
frood

Oh, I could never have a friend like that! vbg

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message

I wonder if this is one of those things that some people will never see
eye to eye on. It could like religion or politics where someone could
be a good friend, someone I like and respect but still think is dead
wrong on certain issues.

Old February 5th 04, 07:55 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

You'll have to get in line for that one. The line starts waaaaayyyyy over
there.

But I am seriously thinking of asking if he'd rather have something from
Target. After all, we're planning on moving this year, and I need all the
bribe items I can get. That quilt would probably get my whole house moved!
LOL

I have seen in and I agree. My dad has a new truck...when should we be
there?

marcella

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM