Making quilts for relatives

Old February 5th 04, 02:42 AM
Neeej

I've never been in a position where someone has
asked me to make a quilt.

I made one for my slack key teacher (as a surprise & just 'cause I wanted to)
and took it to class to give her one night. At the same time, I took a li'l
bitty quilt I made for a performer who was coming to town (long story, ya don't
wanna know! G) and had talked the class into sharing the blame for. I was
showing her this one first, and she joked, "Oh I want one, will you make me
one?" whereupon I said "OK" & whipped out hers. I don't think she's recovered
yet hehehe.

Fastest Quilt in the West!!!
-- Jean S
Old February 5th 04, 03:49 AM
Carolyn McCarty

First of all, I don't make quilts for anyone on request. I find a quilt I
like and want to make, and I usually have a recipient in mind before I
start. I've given the quilts freely, and with love. (and sometimes with a
twinge of regret...wanted to keep that one!)

I've made quilts and given them to my son, my second husband's grandson, a
great-niece and two great-nephews, five nephews and a friend. My son loves
his quilts, has often thanked me, and even takes pictures of his cats on
them. One nephew responded with thanks and a photo of himself with the
quilt. Two nephews thanked me in person and my sister thanked me, too. One
niece (for whose daughter and son I made very special quilts) has never even
acknowledged receiving the quilts--thank goodness my brother-in-law was kind
enough to take pictures of the kids with their quilts. One niece
acknowledged the quilt, after I phoned her to see if she got it...never did
get the picture I asked her to send of the baby with his quilt. One sister
never acknowledged the quilts I sent her sons, nor did she send me pictures
of the kids with their quilts. My friend loves her quilt, and even though
her dogs have savaged it a little once or twice I know it's gotten lots of
use and she really liked it.

I've got two more quilts for nephews going for this year. With a nearly 50%
rate of ho-hum on the part of the recipients, I should quit. But I'm sure
that those kids will enjoy their quilts in years to come, so I keep at it.
Besides, in my practical mind I think, what's the point of making quilts
that no one will ever see or use? And to stop making quilts...unthinkable!
I can only use one or two on my own bed, so it's only sensible for me to
keep sending them off to new homes.

But to try to make a quilt to someone else's order...don't think I could do
it unless they thoroughly understood the real costs of fabric and other
materials, the time frame (I work, and don't have the time to quilt that I
would like...and I do have a life, too), the fact that I might want to be
paid for my time, and the additional cost for long-arm quilting, I'd just
point them at Wal-Mart or Sears or Bed and Bath. They want a quilt. I'm
making heirlooms!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. Carolyn McCarty

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 5th 04, 04:12 AM
Julia Altshuler

I've got the page bookmarked. Thanks!

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

If the person really wants a real piece of hard work quilt I give them
the address of New Pieces - they do commissions and charge what a quilt
is worth - www.newpieces.com then in the body of the home page click on
"quilt service" Part way down the page they list making quilts. The
pricing looks like this...

Old February 5th 04, 04:36 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Carolyn McCarty"

First of all, I don't make quilts for anyone on request. ......

My DSis is the only one I have done this for and I was quite happy to do it.
Of course, we are talking little baby quilts that were all about 40" square!
Just big enough to get a bit of practice in making different blocks and small
enough that I didn't get bored and they didn't cost a lot of $$$.
I have been very lucky with all of this and I know it. The best part is
that I have gotten a bit of a reputation -- good I might add :-)) -- amongst
DSis's church women! None of them would have the gall to come right out and
*ask* DSis if she would be giving a Tia Mary quilt as her gift but they have
all been truly thrilled to get one! Fortunately for me, none of the women
quilt so my first efforts are viewed as being every bit as good as the last one
I have made.
I think the first pieced baby quilt I made for her was about 10 years ago.
I probably made 2 a year for the next 8 or 9 years so that's a whole passel of
little baby quilts. In the last 2 years I have made 5 lap sized quilts for her
to give as wedding gifts. Since I knew 3 of those people getting married, I
offered to make the quilt as my gift to them.
All in all, I have been very fortunate in not having other family members or
friends to ask me to make quilts. Of course, because I am a professional
seamstress, family and friends are well educated in what my time and expertise
is worth. DSis KNOWS how much work & $$ goes into even the small baby quilts
and she has never *expected* me to make them for her. Like I said, I have
just been lucky and learned long ago how to say no and not hurt feelings. I
can always say I have too much work and that will likely be the truth!
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 5th 04, 07:48 AM
kjbs

This is an interesting thread to me for a few reasons.

One, I'll never make anything (quilt, crocheted afghan,
embroidery, sewing) for any of my in-laws because they are
so darn picky! It would have to "match" their house, or they
would have to pick out the pattern, and that just sucks the
will to do it right out of me. (A few years ago we had a
barbeque at their house, with outside tables, and the wind
kept blowing the tablecloths off. I said to SIL that maybe I
could make some tablecloths out of some dark blue
bandana-like fabric, which looks to me like picnic fabric,
and make them like fitted bottom sheets so they wouldn't
blow off the tables. She immediately pointed to her light
country blue fabric in the kitchen on the curtains and asked
if it would match these--I immediately felt the wind taken
out of me. What difference did it make? These were for
tables outside, and the fabric would look perfect for
picnics. Needless to say I never mentioned it again and
therefore I'll never make such a thing, atleast not for
her!! This is the same SIL who will return clothing given to
her children (all under 12 years of age) if they are not in
"matched" sets. Grrr.) End of rant

Two, people who can't do this sort of stuff do not know what
it takes for us who do. My sister, who would probably like
anything I made for her since she's not at all picky, drives
me nuts with her praise of my quilts. She yells (yes, yells
and gets upset) at me because I don't enter them in
competitions. Mind you, I have only done about 10 tops, only
actually quilted one thing, which was sooooo far from being
square that I couldn't do a simple grid design on it. Very
much beginner stuff--trust me--I'm not just being "humble".
She seems to think my "quilts" (I've never even bound one!)
are the best thing since sliced bread or something (when she
says they're "gorgeous" I always say in my head "you're
easily impressed"). Now she's hinting that she wants me to
make her a bedspread with expensive William Morris
fabric--yeah, right. Like I want to potentially ruin
hundreds of dollars of material. When I ask what pattern she
just vaguely says "quilt in the middle"--and which I say
"just quilt some material? or do you want something pieced"
and she glazes over on me. She has no idea what it takes to
make a quilt and doesn't want to either. I have over 80
books on quilting and she isn't interested in finding out
about it for herself. End of this rant too.

I think making quilts for relatives/friends is in the same
category as "don't hire relatives"--bad news and potentially
a very bad experience (ask me how I know this too). These
same people are impressed with cheapo quilts found in
stores--so yes, tell them to buy their quilts at Mervyns or
Sears or Penney's or wherever, because that's what they
really think a quilt is--soemthing cheap to put on their
beds.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a little piffy and long-winded
tonight--I don't pop in here to reply too often, but tonight
I'm feeling sociable/lonely--perhaps having to do with
flunking a Statistics test BIG time and wondering what the
heck I'm doing in college anyway.

Kelly
Beaverton, OR

"Jan Dunaway" wrote
in message
link.net..
..
Taria,

I think you may have hit the more direct point. I think

all of us are
more motivated to make something for someone who really

appreciates it
and understands the work that goes into it. It just makes

it more
speacial. And when that point isn't gotten, it's

dissappointing for the
person who made it.

I'll never forget the day someone saw my first quilt and

mentioned it
would be a great little home business. He had no idea it

took me three
years to finish. ;-) Something tells me I would have

been broke.

Taria wrote in
:

Timing can be everything when you are dealing with

people
who hand craft. I look back and there are babies who I
made a lot of stuff for. It was periods when I had time
or inspiration. Others I just didn't have time. When

taking
an heirloom sewing class I did several pretty pieces of
work as gifts. My dad was a carpenter. He was often

home
in rainy season which also happened to be near my

birthday.
I have several very special pieces he made for me. I

think
part of it was time and part of it lack of funds for

presents.
Mom always said I was always the one that asked! (heck

it
works for LN too) Maybe because of all the sewing I did
around the house he knew I appreciated all the work he

put
in too.
Taria

--
Jan

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunawayjan

Old February 5th 04, 01:30 PM
Pat in Virginia

Thank you Bonnie. I am saving this info for next time I go to the
western area, which I would NEVER confuse with that other state!
(The relative is in Valdosia County, Florida ... I can't
understand why she thinks I would know of stores near her, or in
NY where she visits often. G)
PAT

Bonnie Patterson wrote:

Pat,

There is a quilt shop/fabric store in Dayton, VA, also known as "my
personal LQS" that has quilts for sale, they aren't cheap. There is
also the Dayton Farmers Market which has a quilt shop (as in sells
quilts). The QS used to be known as the Clothes Line, and is now known
as the Quilt Patch.

These stores are on State Route 28 SE of Harrisonburg, home of James
Madison University. We're over here on the western side of Virginia.
Not to be confused with West Virginia.

Old February 5th 04, 02:36 PM
Roberta

In news:HzmUb.179086$sv6.941453@attbi_s52,
kjbs typed:

Sorry if I'm coming across as a little piffy and long-winded
tonight--I don't pop in here to reply too often, but tonight
I'm feeling sociable/lonely--perhaps having to do with
flunking a Statistics test BIG time and wondering what the
heck I'm doing in college anyway.

Kelly
Beaverton, OR

Statistics is of the devil - I hated it...took the class twice. My husband
took it so many times he ran out of professors to take it with. Don't let
it discourage you, statistics is some cruel joke and you will get through it

Roberta

Old February 5th 04, 04:14 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Pat,

Oh was that what I said? The Quilt Patch is the "Shenandoah Quilt
Patch" in Stephens City, VA, the Clothes Line is now "Patchwork Plus"
in Dayton, VA. I must have needed a nap, haven't been sleeping well.

"Patchwork Plus" is my Bernina dealer and now they also sell Jenome
because they needed a good, less expensive line. They sew all of their
machines in, so that when they are sold the customer has less chance
of getting a lemon. If you call for an appointment to have your
machine repaired/cleaned/etc. they will give you a time to bring it in
and the repair person will work on it while you wait. Good business
sense, I think, they sell fabric don't they? Whatever could you do
while waiting for your machine?

It's gray and dreary here in western VA, all along the I-81 corroder,
we are expecting the 3rd snow/ice storm (in the last 2 weeks) this
evening. And tomorrow they are calling for possible flooding when the
snow and ice turn to snow. This winter is giving us a good reason not
to complain about a drought. The schools had tuesday off because of
ice and 2 hours late yesterday because of ice, and if it's ice again
tomorrow they cancel once more.

I think that I used to like snow, but I was much younger then.

Bonnie, frozen in Middletown, VA

Old February 5th 04, 04:57 PM
Eli

My son once told me that the quilt I was making for his school's auction was
nice, but he'd "never pay over $50 for a blanket". He was 15 at the time
and regularly was going through 2-3 pairs of $100 sneakers a year.... It
sold for well over $50 and we all got a chuckle out of it.

Gina in IL

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
For me it was the time I showed my very first quilt to a friend. This
quilt had many technical errors, but it didn't come out too bad. It is
a twin size and still in my closet. I don't use it every day. The
edges wavered a bit; there were some places where the batting was
showing through scant seam allowances already; the machine quilting
stitches were certainly uneven, but it had some nice fabrics, and I was
very proud of it (still am). My friend could sense my insecurity, and
being a good guy, he was complimenting me. He told me how beautiful it
was, what a great color sense I had. He was laying it on thick. He
went on to say it was good enough to sell. I made a "well I don't know"
gesture and asked him how much he'd pay for it. Wanting to be honest
and still wanting to compliment me, he said enthusiastically .... THIRTY
DOLLARS!

--Lia

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM