New to group (again) + Fabric Storage Ideas needed

Old December 3rd 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

Default New to group (again) + Fabric Storage Ideas needed

Hello, everyone! I've been gone quite some time, but I've decided it's time
to take up quilting again. so I thought I'd check in and see what's going
on. I'm glad to see so many familiar names.

My sewing room sprang a leak in one corner of the floor, so I have to
replace the carpet with tile and repaint the walls and replace the cabinets.
The painting is done, and I'm laying the rest of the tile today so I can
grout tomorrow and start putting my stuff back once I decide on cabinets.

Right now each piece in my stash was folded by wrapping it around an 8.5 x
24 ruler and then folding it in half. If I go with 2 white Ikea PAX
cabinets, 13" deep x 39" wide x 90" high, I won't have to refold my stash.
The Billy bookcases are another option, but they are only 11" deep, so I'd
have to refold my stash into thirds, and I'd probably need 3 or 4 of them to
add to the 2 I'll be getting to hold my quilt books and boxes of notions.
Any suggestions? Folded as is, my stash is 9" wide and 30 feet high. Yeah, I
was surprised too. Of course, I'll need room for more. I also want to
add a small table for my embroidery machine.

I have pics of my room before the leak on webshots. The room is now a
beautiful gray-blue with what will be a gray tile floor and white trim. I
still have my existing sewing cabinet for my Juki and my cutting table and
ironing board that I have to fit in there too.

Valerie in FL
http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old December 3rd 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I use those Rubbermaid under the bed plastic boxes in various sizes
(I'm allergic to IKEA... I LIKE chintz!) They stack well and have a
little tray at the top where you can put a lavender bag or moth
proofer to preserve the fabric. I keep these in piles under the
table, which I got at an office furniture auction.

These aren't flash, but they do the job and I can keep like with like,
which helps when looking for things. I'm into filing things at the
moment. I find I like the organised look. It saves hours hunting for
things. I like that these are semi transparent, so I can see what's
in them, but they ar protected from sunlight.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old December 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

The stacking of fabric on shelves wouldn't work for me either. Mine is in
nearly but not quite clear lidded bins. That way I can put a bin of
whatever on the cutting table and sort through it without disturbing it
(much). I do have one shelf but I stack bins on it too. The only problem
I've encountered with the bins is some of mine are too deep and hold more
than I can lift. One day I'll replace them with some not so deep. Maybe.
After Christmas. Polly

Old December 4th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I tried using plastic bins when I first started quilting and could never
find anything. I like the cabinets with doors so I can open them I can see
all my fabric at once, and the fabric is protected from light and dust and
cat hair. Especially the cat hair.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilty stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old December 5th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Sartorresartus wrote:
I use those Rubbermaid under the bed plastic boxes in various sizes
(I'm allergic to IKEA... I LIKE chintz!) They stack well and have a
little tray at the top where you can put a lavender bag or moth
proofer to preserve the fabric. I keep these in piles under the
table, which I got at an office furniture auction.

These aren't flash, but they do the job and I can keep like with like,
which helps when looking for things. I'm into filing things at the
moment. I find I like the organised look. It saves hours hunting for
things. I like that these are semi transparent, so I can see what's
in them, but they ar protected from sunlight.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

I use plastic rubbermaid boxes too--however I will confess to the fact
that my fabric probably isn't folded as exactly as Valerie's! The boxes
make it easy to sort the stash by color, and I agree with Nel, the fact
they are stackable makes them easy to store.

Welcome back Valerie! :-)

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada
Old December 5th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Oh gosh, Nann, you're sewing room looks like a mini LQS! I'll confess
to being a bit envious. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

Nann wrote:
Most of my fabric is on open shelves. I began with nice white laminate
units which, when I got them in 1995, seemed soooo capacious. I
outgrew them a long time ago and have expanded onto 'maple' laminate
units. Overflow is in big Rubbermaid/Sterilite boxes.

Photos from earlier this year at the end of this blogpost:
http://withstringsattached.blogspot....reckoning.html

Nann
in northeasternmost Illinois

On Dec 4, 6:05 am, "Valerie in FL" wrote:
[...]

(Gadget Queen)- Hide quoted text -

Old December 5th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

Thanks! I must confess, though, that my folded fabric is the only area of
my life where I am compulsively neat!

Old December 7th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

In some organization books, I've read that the 'standard' depth for folded
fabric items (includes shirts, etc.) is 14" so I think the Ikea units would
work well for you.
Welcome back.
Pat, Still Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ

fabric storage Boca Jan Quilting 41 September 11th 07 03:01 PM
Storage Ideas Needed Charlotte Hippen Quilting 12 October 30th 06 02:42 PM
Ideas for Spool Storage? jtsnow Quilting 61 April 7th 05 08:31 PM
4 links for crochet hook storage ideas Seaspray Yarn 3 October 31st 04 04:33 PM
FABRIC STORAGE [email protected] Quilting 2 January 25th 04 03:16 AM